Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ourhouse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Converting from propane to natural gas
    Many years ago, I moved out into the country and built my house using propane. Now, natural gas has come into my neighborhood and I would like to eliminate the propane, the tank and the overpriced service for my house.

I called the local gas provider who instructed me that I need to give them a pressure and total BTU requirement. I guess I can find BTU numbers on my furnaces, hot water heaters, dryer, cooktop and pool heater. Any idea what pressure I need or how I can find that out?

I am guestimating that I will need $200 per appliance to have someone change nozels for natural gas. Perhaps a good HVAC man could do it all for less.

Are there other gotcha's that I need to be aware of in this process?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2007, 04:21 PM
    Best overall bet, ( at least here the actual gas supplier would come in and convert your items and they would come in and see what you needed.

But if they won't, just pay a pro to come in, get all of the info for them and give you a conversion price.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2007, 05:01 PM
    Do you have the installation manuals for any of the stuff? If not, you may be able to go online and find them. Often it is just a matter of changing the jet. The manual should give the inlet pressure for gas, likely just what the gas company will insist on supplying. I just looked at the gas valve on my hot water tank. It gives a pressure, 4'', likely water column.

I am surprised the gas company isn't more helpful. Of course, the utilities in general are very arrogant. About 4 years ago, I told my phone company what they could do with their telephone poles and went VOIP.

The gas company may be more picky about piping. See if they will give you any requirements or blow you off with meet code. You definitely want to replace any bare metal flex with the newer, safer plastic coated stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting dryer to natural gas [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a dryer that was converted to propane gas. There were 2 orifices that came with the dryer to convert it back to natural gas. I was wondering which one I need to use to do this. One orifice has a hole coming from top to bottom. The other has a hole coming from the side to the bottom. Maybe...

Propane gas converter [ 1 Answers ]

We have a propane furnace that was installed without the converter put on... what kind of damage has been done to unit and what kind of gas have we been smelling, this has been going in for @ 1 month. It was fixed as of yesterday.

Propane gas pressure [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on one burner on the stove it burns OK,if I turn on more then 1 I lose gas pressure.the regulator has been changed,the furnace will light lose pressure then go out.. tank is full.. please help..

Converting NaturalGas Dryer to Propane [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if I need any special connectors or tools etc. to hook up a natural gas dryer to propane?

View more questions Search