Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpo17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2010, 02:52 PM
    Is it normal for my cartilage piercing to still be red?
    I pierced my cartilage the day before yesterday and it's still kind of red. Its sore to touch and twist the stud. I don't know if this is normal or if it is infected. I know I just put a hole through my skin so it's going to take a while to heal but I don't want to get any infections. When should I be able to twist it and it not hurt?
    braleighb13 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

Dec 29, 2010, 11:25 AM
    Stop twisting it. That's why it hurts. Did you pierce with actual piercing jewelry or just regular jewelry? Chances are you weren't even close to sterile. Don't worry.. . Buy or mix up a saline or sea salt mixture and do soaks, 2-3 times a day for two weeks. And LEAVE IT alone. Don't sleep on it, don't touch it, etc. And stop twisting it. It could be anywhere from two weeks to 3 months before the redness and swelling is gone and you're healed completely. Try the saline soaks, for a week or two, if it doesn't clear up, then GO to a professional reputable piercer and ask them what you should do. Any doctor will tell you to take it out and sometimes that makes it much worse.

Dec 30, 2010, 11:55 AM
    Well its been almost 2 weeks and it has stopped being red and swollen. I wash it with this Saline wound wash and antibacterial soap every night. Its got crusties around the earring and I didn't know if I should remove the crust or if it was part of the healing process and just leave it... Oh and I used a brand new stud that's surgical steel
    mugger Posts: 191, Reputation: 26

Dec 30, 2010, 12:05 PM

Just warm water and a qtip will remove the crusties. Picking them off will only slow the healing time. Use sea salt rinses and do not touch or turn the piercing unless you are cleaning it. Healing time for cartilage can be around 2-3 months if done with a needle. A lot longer with a gun, which is very harmful.

Dec 30, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Yeah I did it with a needle. Thank you though! My mom wants me to take it out cause she said it looks nasty cause of the scabs but Im not! Haha I told her its still healing
    levismomma0329 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2012, 08:10 PM
    Surgical steel is not the best thing to be putting in your ear. It contains nickel which a lot of people are allergic to. I myself made the mistake of using a surgical steel stud in my piercing and ended up at the hospital with an infection so bad I needed antibotics. Not to mention that I had a hole in my ear the size of Texas. I recommend taking it out. Not worth it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it normal to have intense pain after having a cartilage ear piercing? [ 3 Answers ]

I Just Got My Ear Pierced 4 Days Ago. & There Is Swelling & Pain When Nothing is touching it, it is also red. I think A piece of my hair got stuck in the piercing, Any Thought on what I should Do??

Cartilage Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I got my cartilage pierced 9 days ago and it seemed to be fine. Now it's red and is tender. There isn't any puss or scabs but it hurts to touch or lay on. Is this normal or is it infected? :confused:

Is cartilage piercing pain normal the first day you get it done? [ 4 Answers ]

I just got my third hole done at Icing by Claire's today (8-20-10) and she said it would go through a little bit of my cartilage. Its only been about 7 or 8 hours since I got it done... but my right side doesn't hurt at all. My left side however started throbbing after I cleaned and turned it. Its...

Cartilage piercing red and swollen? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, so I was a tad stupid and got my first cartilage piercing 1 week ago, then decided to get the one right underneath it done 2 days later, even though I know it would increase change of infection, anyway it was fine, I was cleaning them twice a day, and they were painless, and going well. But...

Cartilage Piercing [ 1 Answers ]

I got a third lob and a Cartilage Piercing done on both ears a few days ago and they didn't hurt at all during or after the piercing unless I touched them or they were hit directly. They told me that my right ear would hurt a little more because it's my dominant side, but I was a little worried...

View more questions Search