Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SisterNae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
    What can we do legally?
    I am 22 years old and have been married for 3 years. My mom, who was always a control freak, literally went psycho when I got married. She took my family (dad, brothers, and sister) through hell making up stories of me being abused and manipulated and dragging my helpless younger siblings through the mud. They knew she was crazy but were partially brainwashed and made to feel anxious and worried about me (who was living in another state). They were told I was going to die and all kinds of things. Finally, my entire extended family has figured out my mom is crazy and doesn't want anything to do with her, but my 6 year old sister, still a minor, has tried to get away. She has a boyfriend who is 18 and after coming back to the state after my mom took her 16 hours away against her will for 2 months, she ran away. The police have been called and my parents are looking for her. I believe I could find her, but don't want to if she has to go back to my mom to continue to emotionally ruin her even more for 2 more years before she can get away. I would like to get custody of her because I know that she would open up to me and be able to begin the healing process. I could get her back in school (which she obviously is not in now) and help her to make good decisions again. What can I do? Even if I can't get custody.. what can she do? She can't stay in hiding forever, but if she cannot take action against my mom so that she can legally stay with other family, then she will have to continue to run for another 2 years. She needs people who love her and can guide her morally and be there for her emotionally. I don't want to continue to see her get hurt. SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Your best bet would be to "find her", as you say you believe you could, and file a motion for custody with the Family Court for your county of residence. Your mother will have to be given the opportunity to be present and counter your motion if she wishes. But if you can realistically show that it'd be in your sister's best interests to be with you instead of your mother then you should have no problem getting a judge to grant you custody.
    SisterNae Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2007, 09:27 AM
    When I posted my question, I noticed it says "6 year old sister." She is 16.
    Mommy2gio Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jan 16, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Wow that is a lot to deal with. Yes the best thing to do would be to find her asap and get a lawer right away. Have her make a written statement of what has happened and about how she feels. They will ask her to do this anyway so you might as well get this out of the way. Also have any family members supporting you also make written statements on your behalf as "character statements" and also addressing there concerns for her in your mothers care. You are doing something great here!
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Jan 16, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Whew!! First of all let me say that I am so freakin glad you clarified the age thing, because I was reading this and saw that and you just carried on with your question like nothing and I was a tad concerned. That being said, I think your best advice came from Mommy2gio. Get that girl a lawyer and they will take it from there. I think you already know where she is... hint hint... and if so good for you, I would do the same thing. Please keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How I can get a friend out of her house legally? [ 6 Answers ]

Ok. My friend is living with her grandparents and they treat her like crap. They abuse her both emotionally and physically and she wants out. She is 16, and still in school. Is there a way I can get her out of the house with out getting in trouble? Please help me! Every time she tries to leave they...

Can we stay legally? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, my sister and I rent an apt, we decided to move at lease renewal time, we have a place we are moving to. (both in Florida) We were to move out of place #1 on Friday Dec 1st, they showed the apt last Sunday and said the guy could move in on Monday the 4th... There is a delay in place #2,...

I just found out my boyfriend is still legally married... What do I do? [ 16 Answers ]

Whyyyyyyy do guys have to be so confusing?? Why why Why why?! What should I do? Should I ask him how he feels? I'm not even sure if we're in a relationship or if were just friends that make out. -____- Nrgh! There's other issues I'm having trouble dealing with, why do I always fall?? Fine, you know...

Legally bound even after lease is up?! [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, here's the situation. My roommate and I signed a 10 month lease, and the lease is up on the 31st of this month. I am moving out because I've found a new job in another city. My roommate still wants to live in the apartment, so we started looking for people to fill the room. I've done all I...

How do I reinstall windows legally [ 1 Answers ]

I have an computer that's a few years old. I recently purchased a 100GB hard drive for it. I want to install the copy of windows XP home on this hard drive. It's the same windows disc that came with the computer. So I can't see it violating any Microsoft "laws". Its still a good system, it...

View more questions Search