Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 20, 2010, 02:28 PM
    Radius of Circle
    Here's a brain teaser to play with. Take a look at the attached image, and tell me - what is the radius of the circle? The two crossed lines are diameters that cross at the center of the circle.

Hint: if you find yourself thinking of sines or cosines of angles there's an easier way.
    Attached Images

galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2010, 02:41 PM

ebaines, just glancing at it, is it
    r=8?

Is it that easy?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 20, 2010, 02:45 PM

Hello Galactus - that was quick - very good! Yep, it's that easy. Just consider the diagonal of that rectangle - it's 8 as measured from lower left to upper right (as in the original pic) or from upper left to lower right. The 4 was thrown in just to make it look more complicated than it really is. Like this:
    Attached Images

galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2010, 02:45 PM

Yep, that's exactly what I seen. I thought perhaps I was flubbing up.

I will post one I ran across recently. Fun little problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

An aluminum plate is:outer radius 12inches and inner radius 5 inches. Using 3.14 as a [ 7 Answers ]

An aluminum plate is:outer radius 12 inches, inner radius 5 inches. Use 3.14 as an approximate value: How many square inches in the plate? And If the cost to construct the plate is $5.50 per square inch, what is the construction cost?

In a circle with a radius of 4 centimeters, what is the number of radians in the cent [ 1 Answers ]

In a circle with a radius of 4 centimeters, what is the number of radians in the central angle that intercepts an arc of 8 centimeters?

I don't know how to find the radius and center or graph the circle! [ 2 Answers ]

I am really bad at math and am taking it in summer school now. I need this take home test bad but I don't know how to do these 2 questions. Please help. 1. x^2+y^2-4x+4y-28=0 Graph the circle. 2. x^2+y^2+2x-8y-79=0 Find the radius and center of the circle. Can someone... ANYONE please...

How to calculate the center and radius of a circle [ 1 Answers ]

Given the equation of a circle (x+5)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 49 find the center and radius. How would I calculate this problem?

Center & Radius Circle [ 2 Answers ]

Fine the Center and Radius of the Circle given that it equation is x^2 + y^2 + 2x -6y - 6 = 0

View more questions Search