Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

Dec 19, 2010, 05:29 PM
    2 year old water system,has never been right. Would like to rattle some brains.
    Im presently in charge of maintaining this beautiful 100+ yr old victorian.
    2 years ago it went through a major renovation,full interior gutting and rebuild.
    Unfortunately 4 different plumbing contractors were used and each one just added to the
    Now less than satisfactory state. 2 50gal. Heaters w/recirculation pump blast steaming
    Hot water to the closest faucets and intermittant at best to everything else.1. washroom
    3 washers, 6 baths/showers all single handle mixers w/pro flow shower valve cartridge
    Indistrial kitchen w/ 3 bay sink. And my favorite a line flush toilet,tapped off
    A 3/4in branch circuit way down stream causing major pressure drops when flushed.
    I have tried w/circulation pump on/off/timer with no noticeable changes in hot water flow.
    Have noticed hot water present in cold side occasionaly.Im an electrician by trade and
    Trouble shoot w/logic and reason but this sys. Is,for lack of a better word "irritating"
    darrel1953 Posts: 86, Reputation: 12

Dec 19, 2010, 09:59 PM
    Not sure what the question is except you don't have adequate hot water in all places of the house. If you have hot crossing over to cold that may be a large part of the problem. Easiest way to fix it is to be sure your mixing valves are maintained. If you have any old ones that may be the culprit or sometimes an appliance like the washing machine or dishwasher can do it. To trouble shoot just turn off the hot or cold to any appliance like that and see how it goes.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 20, 2010, 03:09 AM

Agree with Darrel1953... In addition:

1. All shower/tub faucets probably have anti-scald adjustment ring installed. Adjust them or remove them completely.
    2. Bathroom sinks draw very little water so it takes forever to get hot water when hot water circulation pump is not functioning properly. Same goes with kitchen faucet. Try to remove Aerators and see how fast you'll get hot water w/o them
    3. It really depends, how the hot water circulation pump loop was plumbed. See if you can follow the loop and get some sense out of it
    4. Make sure the pump is bled and is pulling water. Also, make sure the pump is properly sized for the size of the house
    5. I don't think I understand "in-line toilet" - but in general terms: if you flush toilet and water pressure drops in adjoining fixtures - then pipes are not sized correctly.

Back to you... Milo

Dec 20, 2010, 03:39 AM
    Comment on Milo Dolezal's post
    Hi milo, the toilet in question is a line pressure flush w/no tank. It should have a 1.250 line fed directly from main source.
    But they popped a 1.250 nipple out of the wall and reduced to 3/4 and tapped a branch circuit its going to go asap. Thanks

Dec 20, 2010, 03:47 AM
    Comment on darrel1953's post
    Thanks Darrel I definitely have crossover problems with 9 mixers and an undersized recirculater pump not getting
    Enough hot to the remote parts of the sys.my kitchen faucet has check valves to prevent this but noplace else. Thanks
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 20, 2010, 03:57 AM

Additionally: make sure the 2 water heaters and the pump are plumbed correctly. Are the heaters hooked independently or tied together as one tank? Also, to which of these heaters is the pump connected ? Do you have check valve installed ? All of the above can make difference in hot water delivery. Snap few pics of the heater / pump set up if you can and post it for us... Back to you... Milo

Dec 21, 2010, 01:32 AM
    Comment on Milo Dolezal's post
    Milo just so happens I just bought a digital cam for just this purpose. Will shoot some pics and post them. Thanks

Dec 25, 2010, 12:03 AM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    Thanks with a bit of experienced advise and the repair of one backward recirculating pump and removal of aireators on 2 sinks mucho agua caliente

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does the heat system rattle? [ 1 Answers ]

My heating system makes a rattling noise just before and during the time that its is blowing heat into the house. What causes this?

Furnace pipes rattle when water to toiler is turned on [ 1 Answers ]

All the plumbing in our home works however if the water going into the toilet is turned on, the pipes in our basement rattle so badly you would think they were going to break. As long as the water to the toilet is turned off, the pipes are fine. Please help.

Add city water to well system for sprinkler system. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My sprinkler system runs off an irrigation well system with a bladder tank. The well has a 1HP Jet pump that will only pump 8 gpm @ 40-60 psi. As the system runs after 3-4 minutes the pressure will drop to 20 or so psi and the sprinkler heads start to drop. So I'm not getting enough water...

Hot water only - no cold water - soft water system [ 4 Answers ]

I have what seems like a very odd problem. I have lost water pressure to all sinks, one shower (other works fine), and the backyard hose (frontyard hose works fine). I'm very confused, but initially had a problem where some tiny gold pellets of some sort had backed up into places where we were...

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search