Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lekshmi1012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 02:44 AM
    Double Taxation between USA and India
    Hi,

I am a resident in India and I was a resident alien in USA previously for 6 years and have filed US taxes. Now I am in India, but earning Capital gains and interest income in USA.

I am paying taxes in India for my golbal income. Do I have to pay taxes in US for the capital gain and interest income that I receive from USA? Do I have to file the 1040NR?

Regards
    Lekshmi
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Lekshmi:

You need to file Form 1040NR to report the capital gians and interest income.

If the income is less than $3,300, you will owe NO taxes, as your personal exemption of $3,300 will offset the income.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 11:58 AM
    If you were present in the U.S. for more than 183 days during the year, then you need to include the capital gains on your Form 1040NR. For years that you are not present in the U.S. for more than 183 days, then you, as a nonresident alien, will not be taxed in the US on your capital gains. In addition, interest earned during periods when you are a nonresident (and you are not engaged in a U.S. trade or business) will either be exempt from U.S. tax or the only tax due will be withheld from interest paid to you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 06:39 PM
    IntlTax is correct.

However, banking and brokergae institutions will withhold 30% of the proceeds from stock sales and banks will withhold 30% of interest earned unless you take steps to inform them of oyur tax exempt status.
    To get the withheld taxes back, you will have to file the Form 1040NR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who profits from USA-India Nuke Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

In dollars and cents, what companies in the United States will profit from the sale of nuclear components to India?

Double Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

How does double taxation of corporate income occur.

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US citizen of Indian origin. I am working in the US and hold non-qualified stock options (of my company which is co-headquared out of the US and India). If I now go and settle (long term) in India, and exercise my options, will I be liable to paying any taxes in the US? (I...

Help Needed on US-India Taxation [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to US and on a L1-A visa and have to complete my tax formalities to start getting paid in USA after my transfer to USA This is my situation... I received a gross salary of approx 4,00,000 INR... 8000 USD (equivalent of Indian Rupees converted to USD) from January 2006 to June 2006...

Query on foreign-earned taxation India/US DTAA [ 4 Answers ]

I was employed in US by a US organization for 5 months from Aug'05 to Dec'05 on H1B visa. I had file US returns with IRS in the month of April '06 with filing status as 'Other Single Non-resident alien', as I did not satisfy the substantial presence test of 183 days in US. Now, while I am...

View more questions Search