Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HckMass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 10:38 AM
    Draft inducer motor keeps cycling on and off.
    I have a Goodman GMH8 furnace that is three years old. The draft inducer motor goes on for about 2 seconds then shuts off and then keeps cycling until I shut the furnace off. It has been doing this for three days. My plumber came over and looked at it and after checking some wires it came back on. It has done it each time first thing in the morning when the programmable thermostat is calling for the preset morning cycle to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
    Dennis1523 Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Dec 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
    There is a vacuum switch that goes to the inducer motor. Pull the tube off the vent and suck it while starting the unit. If it works as long as you can suck you know the switch works. Also hold a match or lighter up to the flu pipe opening and see if it sucks the flame up into the flu. If not then you have a obstruction of some kind and it is not venting properly. Also check that tubing for cracks.
    HckMass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Thank you for the help. I took the tube off the vent and tried what you said. I noticed that every time the switch engages the inducer fan turns off. But every now and then the furnace will fire and run when the tube is in place. Do you think the pressure switch is bad?

Dec 19, 2010, 08:29 PM
    Comment on HckMass's post
    Check out this video. It may help you or even search for other videos that may answer your questions.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WI-uRRx0o0&feature=related

Dec 19, 2010, 08:36 PM
    Comment on HckMass's post
    Check for operating voltage at the inducer motor and see if it is getting voltage even when it shuts off. It could be the motor.
    jac1599 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2012, 09:03 PM
    I am having this same problem. The inducer will run for about 1-2 seconds, and then stop. Then run about 1-2 seconds, and stop. Unhook the vacuum line to the pressure switch and the inducer will start and run like it should. However, we get no heat because the board thinks the pressure switch is open. Applying suction to the vacuum line, you hear the switch close, and the inducer immediately stops running and goes back into its 1-2 second cycle phase.
    Mchecchio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
    Jac1599 I have the same problem. Were you able to figure it out"

Quote Originally Posted by jac1599 View Post
    I am having this exact same problem. The inducer will run for about 1-2 seconds, and then stop. Then run about 1-2 seconds, and stop. Unhook the vacuum line to the pressure switch and the inducer will start and run like it should. However, we get no heat because the board thinks the pressure switch is open. Applying suction to the vacuum line, you hear the switch close, and the inducer immediately stops running and goes back into its 1-2 second cycle phase.
    MacGyver333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2014, 09:49 AM
    The vacuum switch needs to be open before the draft motor starts then close and stay closed once the motor starts otherwise it will continue to cycle. This is to make sure there is enough vacuum to keep the gas inside the burner section. Pull the vacuum tube and use a pipe cleaner and make sure the connection points are clear. A white powder can build up on the burner section side, also make sure the tube is not damaged any cracking or if the connection is not tight the sensor will not work. Hopes this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Inducer (Draft) Motor constantly on - Lennox UHG80-100 [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace's draft motor never stops even after one full heating cycle, which it's supposed to stop! This causes the pressure switch to stay closed even after the thermostat calls for heat the second time (after the initial heat cycle). When I stop and start the main switch in my basement,...

Draft Inducer motor (Bryant 373LAV hoz) issues [ 3 Answers ]

I trigger the furnace using the TEST lead to the common lead. The inducer motor starts (somewhat slowly), the ignitor glows, missing gas flow rom the GSV and then the blower tuns on and then shuts off. No fault code. I replaced the gas valve, no change. I checked the pressure switch for the draft...

Heil SP80 Draft Inducer Motor Cycling On/Off [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Heil SP80 natural gas induced draft fan furnace, model # NUG5075BFB2. The unit fires up normally and all is well until the unit shuts off when the temperature setpoint is reached. The draft inducer motor then cycles on and off shortly after the flame is shut down and for 20...

Heil Gaspack draft inducer motor not coming on [ 5 Answers ]

The motor is only making a "humming" sound. I have checked all the obvious stuff, loose connections, power to heat unit, tube to pressure switch, igniter, etc... All seams well. The motor itself will turn smoothly by hand but will not move when unit is turned on. I also have no spark at the...

The Power Venter (aka Heat Inducer and Draft Inducer) will not start on Goodman. [ 8 Answers ]

FURNACE: Made by: Goodman Model #: GMPN080-4 THE POWER VENTER (this is what the Goodman manual calls it but other websites refer to this as the Heat or Draft Inducer): Made by: FASCO Industries 70219565 Type: U218 Volts: 115 RPM3400 Customer Part #: B2833001S

View more questions Search