Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Dec 25, 2010, 10:51 AM

40%HQ...
    My word!!
    Anyway... frankly,you are already fair and it won't be difficult at all to get fairer.Just use 4%Hq with Retin and you will be good to go.
    pocahantas Posts: 93, Reputation: 16

Dec 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
    @JiannaVIP Your sister seems to have finally landed on her feet with her skin lightening cream - but for now, I will take a leaf out of your book and stick with HQ and retin a. BQ seems like a long-time commitment and has more risks involved. I will leave it as a final resort. But I am going to carry on researching BQ, so please keep me up-to-date with your sister's progress, specially if things take a turn for the worst. Please do warn me. Much appreciated.

I have ordered 10% HQ from USA, and I managed to get retin a 0.1% perscription from my dermatologist. I am waiting in anticipation, can't wait to start my regime. HQ4% would have been safer option (compare to 10%) but I am hoping that higher percentage will get me there faster. If I find it irritating, I can always mix it with some moisturiser to make it milder. Having read about your friend story who used 40% without problem, it feels me with more confidence, thanks for sharing that story.

During the day I will use HQ 10%, follwed by a nurturing moisturiser, followed by sunscreen.
    At night I will use derma-roller followed by HQ 10% + Retin a 0.1%

I will be using dry brushing method to de-clog and exfoliate, at night.

Since last 4 days, to prepare my skin for the harsh regime to come, I do dry brushing every night (including on my face) it was painful to start with but now my skin has gotten used to it, in fact, now, I feel fresher and cleaner after dry brushing. Then I use derma roller follwed by retinol 0.5% it should get my skin prepared for the strong 0.1% retin a. My skin was starting to feel raw, tight and flaky after using retinol so I am slapping on a good quality thick and rich moisturiser during the day.

@Violaename Thanks babe, sound advise but HQ10% already ordered. As I said to 'J' above, if I find it irritating, I can always mix it with my moisturiser to make it milder. However, at the moment I have concerns if I will be getting the genuine product. I have ordered it from a private seller in USA. I will keep you up to date with my progress.

Speak to you soon ladies, look forward to hear from you.

Regards,
    Poca x x

Dec 25, 2010, 04:12 PM
    Hey guys,

Here's a pic of me with my sister's, I am the one who's the darkest. There skin tone is what I am after:

Dec 25, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Comment on pocahantas's post
    OK that didn't work, I will try again.

Dec 25, 2010, 04:23 PM
    OK, here it goes, this is a pic of me with my sisters, as you can see, they are beautiful and lighter...

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/withsis.jpg/
    JiannaVIP Posts: 30, Reputation: 6

Dec 25, 2010, 07:09 PM
    Hi Pocahantas,

I love the green outfit, and again your color is my goal *haha* but you never know, I may get your tone and decide to go further. Yanno? To each their own.

Oh I want to clear something up, it's not my friend who did the 40% HQ it was someone who posted this on skincaretalk.com, I'm looking for the link now. They were talking about how they were making their own HQ creams (something I'd never try to do). There is also a thread on askmehelpdesk where a girl was talking about how her mom used HQ for over 15 yrs with no negative side effects. Also how her light skin was permanent. Here is the link: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/go/explore.php?do=showthread&t=292693&sort=oldest&p=1

Also, the retin-a you're using to prep with is actually stronger. Retin A 0.50% is stronger than 0.10%, and be careful with using a dermal roller with retin-a. Retin-A is strong by itself and doesn't need help with penetration. I would suggest only using retin-a every two days or so.

That dry brushing sounds harsh and painful. Sounds like it would make your skin red and raw. Does it involve actually scraping you dry skin with a dry brush? *ouch* Dead skin comes off better when it's wet anyway. I always resist in picking at flakes when I see them, I wait until I get in the shower & soak for a minute. I use a firm body brush in the shower to clean with. My skin is extra supple & soft afterwards, and after I towel dry I put my HQ cream on. It rubs right in and absorbs completely. After that I apply Vaseline, a little goes a long way and absorbs well into skin that is damp. I use vaseline because this is the only thing that keeps my skin moisturized, and very well. After all the chem peels & scrubbing your skin will be dry and need lots of moisture so I have finally settled with the Vaseline. No it doesn't clog pores either, I put it on my face also and have never had any break outs. Vaseline doesn't have anything in it but petroleum jelly, so it soothes skin that has been abraded or after a chempeel. Even the gentlest lotions can burn after a good scrub or chempeel.

At first, I actually mixed my HQ 10% with cocobutter lotion (half & half), then I started applying it straight a month later. I did this to prepare my skin for such a high dosage of HQ. Be e careful with all that you are doing, you really don't want to be applying retin-a or high percentage HQ creams to raw skin.

Well good luck with everything that you are doing, please keep us updated on your progress. I love to hear what other people are doing to lighten their skin. Goodnight :)

~Jianna

Dec 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
    Hi Jia,

I like my outfit too, I bought it in Southall, UK. Come to England for a visit and we can go shopping together... LOL. And I think when you get to my skin tone you would want to get lighter, its human nature, we want what we can't have and we keep setting ourselves higher goals... specially if you have a competitive nature like me and I have a feeling that you do :) nothing wrong with that.

Thanks for the link to Missc88's post, she presented a very good case and certainly answered a lot of my concerns regarding HQ, interesting reading.

Retin A vs. Retinol
    I appreciate your concern about me using 0.5% retinal. But I think you are confusing Retinol and Retin A – these 2 are related but distinctly different. Retinol does not have direct effect on the skin. Retinol first need to be converted by special enzymes into the active metabolite, Retin A. Only pure Retin A directly affects skin cells and helps reduce signs of aging etc. So to cut the long story short, 0.5% retinol is actually gentler and weaker then 0.1% pure retin a.

Using retin a twice a weak sounds good :o)

Dry Brushing
    It does sound harsh and painful, you are right. But it has sooooo many benefits, to name a few:

• shed dead skin cells
    • help improve skin texture
    • cell renewal.
    • increases circulation to skin
    • helps to tighten the skin
    • lessen the appearance of cellulite.
    • stimulates the lymph canals
    • helps with muscle tone and more even distribution of fat deposits.
    • also rejuvenates the nervous system by stimulating nerve endings in the skin.

But most of all - Dry skin brushing helps your skin to absorb nutrients in creams by eliminating clogged pores.

I highly recommend it, as they say, don't knock it till you try it. Lots of salon's specially in Thailand offer this treatment. The therapists gets to work on you, starting from your feet, working the brush strokes towards your heart to encourage blood circulations and you will see little specs of white dirt fly off you, leaving you feel very very fresh.

You are right the dead skin will slide off more easily when the skin is damp. The dry brushing does scratch the skin as it lift the dead cells, but these tiny scratches are invisible to human eye and the blood rushes to the skin surface to repair the scratches. The repaired skin is tighter, brighter and shinier….do try it and get the scratchiest brush you can find, start with gentle strokes and when your skin is used to it, you can go a little harder.

Thanks for the Vaseline and coco butter tip as well. Vaseline is my personal favourite too, its always great to get a re-affirmation from another user.

Can't wait to start my regime, will keep you up to date with before and after pics, have a good one.

Poca x x
    fairaliaa452 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
    If you guys want to lighten up a bit, you must buy extreme brite. Its sold in beauty supply shops around the globe. Just buy the syrum and the body lotion and mix. It contains like 1 percent hydro but has kojic acid as well. I live and work in nyc. The results were so obvious that my supervisor stopped me twice to ask did i have a facial or something it was embarrassing but it worked. It comes in a tall pink metal like bottle with a white pump. Its about 22 dollars.totally worth your mone and easy to keep up with for maintenance. Buy the soap if you'd like as well
    clueless2008 Posts: 135, Reputation: 18

Dec 26, 2010, 08:48 PM

Sorry Fair, but I have never heard of this product and is very skeptical.

Jan 3, 2011, 04:19 AM
    Hi !

Hope you and your family had a great new year, it was so hectic here :whew: I would love to visit England. I hate to sound like a *groupie* but I love those British accents :lol: but I like traveling period.

Ohhhh I'm sorry I misread, as soon as I see R-E-T I'm assuming “Retin-A” , especially when talking about skin lightening. Yeah retinol is just Vitamin A . Very good for skin. I used to use a vit-a cream I got from Vitamin World a while ago.

As for the dry brushing, no way would I knock it after reading “lessens the appearance of cellulite” LMAO! Not that I have it like that but there are a few dimples back there on mah booty :lmao: Seriously this is new to me I am going to look it up, but what type of brush would you use to do this? It has to be like a specially made brush right? Please post a link to where I can buy one if so. I'm in the US so hopefully they ship here.

Ahhh Thailand….. Man I tell you Asia has all the unique treatments and products, very few stores & facilities offer some of those unique services here in the U.S.

Yes I love Vaseline. I put lots on my feet & wear socks to bed, when I wake up my feet are soooooo soft! Yeah good luck with your regimen you should lighten up nicely just take it one step at a time. Happy Lightening! :)

~Jianna

Jan 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
    Hi Jia,

Happy new year to you and your loved ones too. We have had a very relaxing break. If you do come to England, give me a shout, would love to meet you.

Dry Brush can be bought on Amazon, here's the link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Loofahs-and-Brushes-Brush-Japanese/dp/B002N2LPOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294095644&sr=1-1

in case the link doesn't work, go for Sisal Body Brush-Japanese Style. The other types of body brushes are too soft hence useless.

Please remember the dry brushing can be uncomfortable to start with, but skin gets used to it in a matter of few days. I highly recommend it. My skin might not be as light as my sisters, but is healthier, more glowy and cellulite free. They all comment on what a good condition my skin is in. I can not praise dry brushing enough! The brush only costs a fiver and mine has lasted me 3 years. So cost wise, very very cheap!!

By the way, my first lightening cream arrived 4 days ago, Makari. Been using it religiously and I think I have already lightened a little. No break out so far and my husband and my daughter commented on my complexion today... Woo hoo :)

Speak soon x x

Jan 4, 2011, 05:30 AM
    Oh wow. Makari? I have herd nothing but very bad things about them.

Do a search on Google type in:
    "Makari" steroids breakouts

On YouTube:
    Just type in "makari skin" (no quotation marks)
    And click on all the videos and read the "comments" being left

Actually I had to pause posting my reply here because the thread on Skincartalk had me glued to the screen. My gosh at the things that are being said over there! When you do the search on Google this thread will come up in the search results, the title is "Avoid Bio Claire and makari!".

Seems the same complaints about Makari are " I got really light really quick" then later horrible break-outs, re-darkening, and stretch marks all over. Also that when they stopped they got even darker than they were before. These are the tell tail signs of a steroid based product. The same horrible things are being said about Bioclaire also, which seems to be even worse.

It's such a shame because Makari has been featured on a few local news segments and in a lot of black magazines, blogs etc. An unsuspecting person would be confident that they were a legitimate company. I'm glad I checked my email so I could post this info to warn you.

Thank for the info about the brush I'm surfing the web now looking for a dry-brush. I'm glad I can add this to my regimen. Not just because it could help lighten my skin, I like all those other benefits you mentioned. Oh yeah I meant to ask if you also use it on your face or just your neck and body? Thanks.

~Jianna

Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Jan 4, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JiannaVIP View Post
    Oh wow. Makari? I have herd nothing but very bad things about them.

Do a search on google type in:
    "Makari" steroids breakouts

On YouTube:
    Just type in "makari skin" (no quotation marks)
    and click on all the videos and read the "comments" being left

Actually I had to pause posting my reply here because the thread on Skincartalk had me glued to the screen. My gosh at the things that are being said over there! When you do the search on google this thread will come up in the search results, the title is "Avoid Bio Claire and makari!".

Seems the same complaints about Makari are " I got really light really quick" then later horrible break-outs, re-darkening, and stretch marks all over. Also that when they stopped they got even darker than they were before. These are the tell tail signs of a steroid based product. The same horrible things are being said about Bioclaire also, which seems to be even worse.

It's such a shame because Makari has been featured on a few local news segments and in a lot of black magazines, blogs etc. An unsuspecting person would be confident that they were a legitimate company. I'm glad I checked my email so I could post this info to warn you.

Thank for the info about the brush I'm surfing the web now looking for a dry-brush. I'm glad I can add this to my regimen. Not just because it could help lighten my skin, I like all those other benefits you mentioned. Oh yeah I meant to ask if you also use it on your face or just your neck and body? Thanks.

~Jianna

I am a Makai user...
    And I can say a million times that it is NOT steroid based!
    I have used it for a good while and I bet you... if you see my skin,you will be like WOW!
    I am very sure that people who have reactions to it are those allergic to the caviar.
    Makari is good!Really good!
    True that some people have a bad experience,but so many others too have a good experience.

Jan 4, 2011, 10:23 AM
    Violaename:
    I am a Makai user...
    And I can say a million times that it is NOT steroid based!
    I have used it for a good while and I bet you... if you see my skin,you will be like WOW!
    I am very sure that people who have reactions to it are those allergic to the caviar.
    Makari is good!Really good!
    True that some people have a bad experience,but so many others too have a good experience.
    Why are you telling me? I'm not currently using the product nor am I contemplating use. That info needs to be directed to Poca.

As for legitimacy of the product, seems like the 200+ customer reviews I've read (that claim to have disfigured skin) would beg to differ. Not to mention, the affore mentioned "collective" symptoms are not those of a fish allergy. In fact, they're not the "collective" symptoms of ANY allergic reaction. Sounds more like exposure to a "flesh eating disease" or Ebola *lmao*

Anyway, I really don't care I'm not using it, but if I knew someone that was. As a courtesy I would at least inform & direct them to the information about it so that they can make an informed decision to use it.

Jan 4, 2011, 11:12 AM
    @Jia... bloody hell girl, you scared me to death. I did googled and searched as per your instructions and all the reviews came up
    Seems the same complaints about Makari are " I got really light really quick" then later horrible break-outs, re-darkening, and stretch marks all over. Also that when they stopped they got even darker than they were before. These are the tell tail signs of a steroid based product.
    I thank you for warning me.

@Viola, I also thank you for your vote of confidence. I was pulling my hair out while reading Jia's post.

@Jia and Viola
    Before I ordered Makari, I red the good and bad reviews and made an educated decision to use Makari.. But reading Jia's post made me re-visit my decision making process. Following are my findings:

1. Makari uses 'vegeclairine' as its active ingredient, which is a natural bleaching agent.

2. Makari has no steroids. How do I know that?
    • There's no steriods listed on the ingredients list.
    • If this product had steriods it wont be available as an 'over the counter product' in UK. I would have needed perscription.

3. So why does Makari cause break outs?
    It contains fish protein which can cause skin breakouts, also people with oily skin may have a
    problem when it comes to the moisture and oil content of the product.

4. However, I can't find any reason for why people experience skin darkening or patches when they discontinued using Makari. But again, NOT EVERYONE experienced the darkening and patches. Users like Maharani, Viola, and many others used it on and off without any complaints. I am hoping to be one of them.

I guess girls its all about 'horses for courses'. Some things suit some people, but not others. There are risks invloved with ALL skin lightening chemicals, mono, HQ, steroids, bleach. Some obviously have higher risks then the others. I guess one has to weigh their options and take an 'educated' leap. So even if I am wrong and Makari does have steroid in it - I am comfortable with that - as sometimes to achieve your goal you have to take some risks, Makari is mine (lets face it, its not as risky as mono). I will keep you up to date Jia, I hope you are wrong... fingers crossed.

By the way, my HQ arrived today. From today, I'll be using:
    • Night: HQ 5% + retin a
    • Day: Makari + sunblock

What do you think?

@Jia, I do Dry Brushing on my face too... but please don't hurt yourself, you have to gently build it up slowly. For example,
    week 1 - body only - gentle strokes,
    week 2 - include gentle strokes on your neck and cheeks -
    week 3 - slightly stronger upwards strokes on your cheeks, chin and forehead (avoid eye area). And so on and so forth...

Keep sharing your wisdom with me guys, always a pleasure to hear from you.

Poca x x

Jan 4, 2011, 12:34 PM
    First let me explain something…Topical Steroids have their place for use. 1% hydrocortisone can be used for 20 yrs and not cause any problems. Doses higher than 1% are by prescription ONLY and with good reason. High doses of topical steroids are used for severe skin issues and ARE NOT used everyday, and are DEFINITELY NOT applied twice a day. High dose topical steroids cause thinning of the skin (which explains why these people got stretch marks), abnormal lightening of the skin (which explains the rapid lightening these people had). High dose topical steroids are like “Heroin” to skin. Like heroin, when use is abruptly stopped “withdrawal” symptoms set in. Which would explain the immediate re-darkening, getting even more dark, acne, etc.

Secondly, why would a merchant “admit” to putting steroids, mercury, or anything else poisonous/illegal/banned ingredients in their products? Has there been on to date that has?

The way people have found out is by sending a sample of the product to a lab. You can have a product tested for $25-$75 for a full chemical analysis. You also can by at-home mercury kits to text for mercury in them. Home kits aren't as accurate as lab testing, but you can at least get a small idea of what the heck is going on

Also, you cannot compare any topical steroid to Hydroquinone, monobenzone, mequinol or any other chemical “legally” & commonly used chemical for skin lightening or skin depigmenting. Why? Because steroids ARE NOT for use in skin lightening because of what it does to skin. The only way steroids will lighten skin is in very high doses, and as I have mentioned high dose topical steroids damage skin beyond belief. Especially when you are applying it several times a day like a normal skin lightener. I cannot IMAGINE the dosage of steroids in bioclaire,makari,F&W,and F&F. It would have to be somewhere in the 5%-7% range and that's freakin scary.

Vegeclairine: There's nothing on the internet ANYWHERE that even verifies that this is a real ingredient. All I have found is Makari's website & a few other posts/articals on websites claiming it's an extract of the Mulberry Tree which I believe to be posted by Makari themselves. Mulberry extract is referred to by several names and “vegeclairine” is definitely not one of them. Mulberry extract is very good in lightening skin but allergic reactions to it is very rare/highly unlikely, because this herb is actually used to treat allergies (amongst many other uses)

Caviar Extract: Its does a lot of things but lightening skin isn't one of them. It stimulates collagen production, firm & plums skin, thickens and smooths skin. Knowing that a lot of people have known (or unknown) fish allergies why would anyone put this in their line of skin care products? Because of common fish allergies, you won't find this ingredient included in too many products. Assuming they won't sell as much most companies wouldn't waste their funds on it. BUT a product that claims to lighten skin is going to sell regardless, for obvious reasons.

Also, the few studies out there about hydroquinone have involved testing on lab rats and having given them high doses (99%) of hydroquinone “orally” which caused “SOME” internal carcinogenic activity. Duh….Bleach is used to clean and disinfect kitchens and homes, but if you drink it you will surely die. Chlorine gas (in some bleach) is poisonous but yet it's used to clean water & is put in pools/hot tubs, BUT if you were put in a nearly air tight room with several buckets of chlorine bleach spilled into it you would surely die. So these safety issues are a case by case thing, and if chemicals are used improperly (like eating or inhaling it) there will definitely be some negative repercussions. I use hydose HQ and have NEVEr had any issues.

People can get high dose HQ creams (4%,8%,10%,15%) from a cosmetic surgeons office or a dermatologist can write a prescription for it and have the pharmacist make it up. I know because I have done this. The problem is, they charge an arm-and-a-leg for these creams. I'm just glad a found a legit supplier of high dose HQ cream at a decent price.

Now that we're on this topic, I really must say I think the makers of Makari products just throw that “allergies to caviar/fish” B.S. in there as an excuse when people start complaining about these horrific results.

Well anyway, good luck with your skin lightening journey I have nothing more to add about Makari.

~Jianna

Jan 4, 2011, 01:38 PM
    @Jia thank you so much for taking the time to explain your concerns in detail and with examples. I understand now - and for what its worth, it has certainly made sit up and think about what I am putting my skin through. May be going on a Makari binge is not a good idea - easy does it. I am going to reduce the use to twice a week only and see how I get on. I certainly don't want my skin to be addicted to steroids like 'heroine'. Thank you :) x x

Jan 4, 2011, 01:40 PM
    @Jia, I am now researching Makari further... looking up clinical/pharmaceutical test results...
    chocmilk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Hi Pocahantos!

I'm a british bangladeshi girl in uk and also using skin lightening products. I thought about mono for awhile but afraid of the risk. I've been desperate to lighten my skin all my life. Would love to share information with you. At the moment I'm also using HQ and Retin a combo and have lighten a little. Still not to the point id like. I've only used this on my face, since the skin is less thick it seems to be working but not so much on my body/arms.

I've also been using Philippine whitening creams sold here in UK which is a peel treatment and kojic creams and that too has helped in the lightening.

Would love to speak to you/hear from you about your whitening regime and share more info. Maybe you can email me at [email protected]
    chocmilk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Hi Pocahantos!

I'm a british bangladeshi girl in uk and also using skin lightening products. I thought about mono for awhile but afraid of the risk. I've been desperate to lighten my skin all my life. Would love to share information with you. At the moment I'm also using HQ and Retin a combo and have lighten a little. Still not to the point id like. I've only used this on my face, since the skin is less thick it seems to be working but not so much on my body/arms.

I've also been using Philippine whitening creams sold here in UK which is a peel treatment and kojic creams and that too has helped in the lightening.

Would love to speak to you/hear from you about your whitening regime and share more info. Maybe you can email me at [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Monobenzone and benoquin [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference between monobenzone and benoquin? Which one is stronger? Which one lasts longer? And most importantly where can I get these creams? All I know so far is that they are SERIOUS heavy duty creams only used by people with vitiligo. I also heard that they are permanent and...

Monobenzone or benoquin [ 2 Answers ]

Hey lovie1 I am new here and from the posts I've read you seem to be the expert on this stuff I was wondering if you could share with me (my email is [email protected]) Where you get your lightener products, how you use them, and if you felt comfortable, sharing a pic of your results with...

Benoquin, monobenzone [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I am in Eastern Europe. Anyone who knows where one can buy raw monobenzone in fine powder form or at least the cream without a prescription?? Want to dipigment.

View more questions Search