Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Dec 17, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Cough medicine for kennel cough
    I am dog-sitting my mother's dog. He is a standard poodle. He went to the groomer's at PetSmart about 5 days ago. Early this morning he started coughing from 3 am until 8 am. Poor thing I felt terrible. I messaged my mom about it, she said he had coughed a few times before, (several days after he left the groomer). He has only coughed twice since 8 this morning. The cough is exactly as kennel cough is described. His only symptoms are that dry hacking cough, non-productive cough and he hasn't eaten much, no drainage. He is also more tired today but not terribly lethargic. Last night him and my 5 year old were running all over the house. My mother said she will try to get him in the vet tomorrow morning, and if not, then on Monday.
    I'm worried he will have another coughing fit in the middle of the night again, and wondered if there is something I can do for this. I have read that a cough suppressant can be given, so was wondering if I could give him something over the counter. I feel terrible that there isn't much I can do until he gets to the vet. I'm not sure how much he weighs, he is standard poodle and not overweight.
    I know the obvious answer is to take him to the vet, which we will be doing, and I wouldn't do anything if I wasn't terribly comfortable with it. In fact on the petsmart website it talks about kennel cough and robitussin or vicks 44 (something with dextromethorphan is suggester, but I'm very unsure how much to give.
    What do you think?
    ucCategory=ARTICLE&ucTopic=DOG&ucSubTopic=HEALTH&u cSubTopic2=&ucContent=/articles/content/dog/health/coughing/247.html

Dec 17, 2010, 06:27 PM
    Also thought I would mention I have albuterol solution 0.083% and a nebulizer. I wouldn't dare give him this, unless someone out there has had experience with this...
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2010, 09:12 PM

Never, ever give your dog cough medicine.

Kennel cough is the equivalent of the human flu and in 99% of dogs it just runs its course.
    Occasionally a dog will require antibiotics if the virus turns into an infection but that is for your vet to determine.

You can give a little honey to help soothe his throat but absolutely no cough medicines.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2010, 11:59 PM
    Raw honey works great for coughs (works in people too). Dimatapp can be used on dogs. Not sure on dosage. Never heard of roubitussin or Vicks 44 safe for dogs.

To stay on the safe side, give him a soup spoon full of raw honey (it has to be raw, the bacteria in raw honey is want helps sooth throats and kills the bacteria in the throat causing the cough and/or "cold" like sypmtoms) twice a day. Kennel cough usually breaks into a snotty nose. It may only be a matter of time for that to happen. When and if it does, you can use musinex (green bottle) to help with the snotty nose. But until it breaks (if it breaks) not much you can do. He's going to cough and feel like crud... just keep him warm and maybe limit walks until its gone. Just compare this to you having the common cold. If you wouldn't do it with the coughs, sneezes and small fever, then don't make him do it.

Good luck :)

Dec 18, 2010, 09:45 AM
    Thanks everyone for your answers. I have not given him anything, as the last time he coughed was yesterday.. just twice. Thank goodness he didn't cough last night. I have raw honey-love it. I wasn't sure if I could give it to him. I'll give him some now. He'll be going to the vet on Monday.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kennel Cough [ 7 Answers ]

I just rescued a sweet 1 year old german shepard mix from a shelter that has a bad case of the kennel cough. I rushed him to the vet when I found out that he wasn't eating. :confused: He is way under weight ( 60lbs) not drinking as well. I have him IV's because the vet can't keep him there due to...

Disinfecting for Kennel Cough ? [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have experience with disinfecting their house and yard and dog beds/kennels with the germ that causes kennel cough? I know about bleach mixtures, but that seems too caustic for metals crates, loungers and others. In doing a favor for a rescue group yesterday, I may have infected my...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

View more questions Search