Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trueblue84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
    Military spouse - state taxes - recently married to registered alien
    Hello,

I am in the navy, stationed in ct, filed state taxes in California for the past 8 years after joining up, recently married a canadian in September and am working towards getting her citizenship.

Come January when I go to file taxes, we are unsure what state she should file taxes in.

She has never shared domicile in California with me prior to this ( I read the new relief act for military spouses signed in 2009).

About me:

-ct drivers license
    -bought a house in ct
    -don't pay ct state taxes

About her:

-doesn't work
    -resided in ct with me for over half of a year
    -has alien registration number

She most likely will not be a full fledged citizen come tax time.

Do I...

File jointly both fed and state? I believe we must file fed and state the same way...

Or

Should we file separately and just bite the bullet, as I fall into a higher tax bracket with an adjusted gross income of roughly 37k?

No hurry on this "free" help of course.. and thanks a bunch

Nathan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 17, 2010, 02:23 PM
    I believe I answered you via email.

However, the simple answer is that you will file jointly with your wife, submitting a Form W-7 to get her an ITIN (unlessl she qualifies to get a SSN; you need to call the Social Security Administration to see if she qualifies). If allowed, she can a SSN in about a week.

She will also sign a statement that she is a non-resident alien spouse of a U.S. citizen and shoe CHOOSES to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2010. This signed statement is attached to the joint tax return which you BOTH will sign.

She signs the Form W-7 and staples a notarized photocopy of her passport picture page, then paper clips BOTH documents to the tax return.

The return, the statement and the Form W-7 are mailed to the address in the Form W-7 instructions in Austin, Texas.

If you mail EARLY in January, you should get the ITIn back in about 3 weeks. You then use her ITIN to file the state tax return in whichever state you file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married filing Joint vs. Separate if spouse in military [ 1 Answers ]

My husband is in the NAVY, and is based in San Diego. Last year he claimed his permanent address to be in the state of Nevada, because that is where his father lives. We married in Sept of last year. When it comes to filing taxes, if we file married, joint, do I just apply my income to the state...

Recently married, husband is nonresident alien [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, In 2008 my (then) fiance's K1 visa got approved and we got married in September in the USA. He's from Mexico and we went through the normal K1 process (he's from Mexico, we met in Mexico, his first time in the US was after the K1 approval). Here's a little more info: January-August he...

H1B holder recently married with spouse in US on H4; should I update my W2? [ 3 Answers ]

All, I'm a Canadian citizen working in NJ in the United States and have been recently married. I've been working in the US on an H1B as of Feb. of 2007. I've recently married (October of this year) and my wife has come down with me (from Canada) with an H4. My question is as follows: - Am I...

Recently married,can I add my spouse as dependent for 2007 tax retuns [ 3 Answers ]

HI, I got married on Feb 10TH 2008,and ma spous arrived here in us on March 17TH.I didn't file for tax returns of 2007,now I'm ready to file for 2007 tax returns.So can I add my spouse as dependent for 2007 tax returns. Any suggentions will be apreciated Thanks, Dav

Indian Tax Return:-On H1B ,recently married & spouse back in her country; [ 1 Answers ]

I am from India and currently on H1-B for last 5 years. I have been filing 1040 (with status as single) for my tax returns . Last december(07), I got married. My wife is still in Qatar and she is still working. She already has a H4 Visa but has never visited usa.She will be joining in April'08. I...

View more questions Search