Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdot Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Installing tub/shower in unfinished basement
    Hello,

I'm finishing off my basement and there is a 1-1/2 stub for a tub or shower. It holds water so I'm assuming there's a P trap in the cement floor and there's a vent stack nearby too. However, the stub is only 11 3/4 inches from a concrete wall and has cement all the way around it. My concerns are...

1- I've read that you usually need a square cutout in the concrete to facilitate the piping below the tub. Correct? What about a shower?

2- The stub seems close to the cement wall. Is there a standard, or typical distance, from the end of the tub to the drain? I'm thinking I may need to move the pipe unless I can find a shower or tub that will fit.

Thanks,

-r.
    malex27 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Jan 9, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Rdot, the specific dimensions will depend on what type of bath fixture your installing. Most fiberglass tub/shower units are around 14-15" from the side to the center. I'm fairly certain that your drain will have to be moved farther away from the wall on either a shower or a tub unit.

On fiberglass tub/showers or steel tubs, you will need to have access under the slab to install a trap adaptor on to your 1 1/2" pvc pipe so that your waste and overflow connection will be low enough.

For a center drain shower unit, you will want to move the drain to fit your dimensions and make your glue joint connection on your drain stand pipe under the floor.

Your plumber should have made preparations by leaving some sort of square box in the slab. As it is, sounds like jackhammering is in the future.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2007, 11:49 AM
    1- I've read that you usually need a square cutout in the concrete to facilitate the piping below the tub. Correct?

A tub set up has a 12 X12 square cut in the pour for a tub dap-out.

2- The stub seems close to the cement wall. Is there a standard, or typical distance, from the end of the tub to the drain? I'm thinking I may need to move the pipe unless I can find a shower or tub that will fit.

You are already set up for a custom tile shower. If you install a manufactured base you will have to move the trap and raiser to fit directly under the shower base drain. Regards, Tom
    Skeeter0055 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Check out a product made by a company called Redi-Tile. They make custom floor plans for showers that can place the drain up to 6" away from the side of the pan. Their pans are pre-sloped, have curbs installed and are tile ready. Good luck

Skeeter

Jan 11, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Thanks everyone. Between malex, speedball, and skeeter's answers, I have a much clearer picture now. It sounds like a little cement work with a hammer is in my future if a want a tub.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2007, 08:16 AM
    If you're installing a tub the general rough in measures are. 15 1/2" off the side unfinished wall and 1 1/2" off the unfinished front wall to the center of the trap raiser. Good luck, Tom

Jan 11, 2007, 08:22 AM
    Thanks again Tom.

One last question, I know about setting the body of the tub in mortar, but I would also assume a pre fab fiberglass tub would be strengthened in the area around the drain that needs to float over the dap-out, or do I need to fill in the dap-out with some sort of material?
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 11, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rdot
    Thanks again Tom.

One last question, I know about setting the body of the tub in mortar, but I would also assume a pre fab fiberglass tub would be strengtheden in the area around the drain that needs to float over the dap-out, or do I need to fill in the dap-out with some sort of material?
    The one thing I've learned about plumbing is that you can't "assume" anything.
    Not all plastic and steel tubs are supported by the manufacture. Check before installing. You do not fill the dap-out area. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower or tub on concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

mattp New Member Join Date: Nov 2006 Posts: 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am getting started on installing a full bath in my basement and I am some what intimidated by the tub/shower situation. I have a rough in for the tub...

Installing drain for shower in basement [ 1 Answers ]

My questions has three parts. The purpose of this is that I want to install a shower in the basement. Background: I recently bought a 90 year old home. The basement has recently been redone (new concrete floor and completely dry--thank god). It already has a toilet installed, resting directly on...

Installing shower in unfinished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm beginning a project to add a basement bathroom in our house. The house is only two years old and the basement is unfinished with concrete slab. The builder roughed in a drain for the toilet, sink and also the shower. My question is about the shower drain. Currently it is a 2" pvc pipe...

Installing a basement shower(?) [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a home that already had a sewage pump installed in the basement with three drains already installed in the concrete floor that leads to this pump's tank. One was for a toilet (which is covered), another is for a sink (which at present is in use) and the third is a drain pipe (rubber...

Tub rough in question in unfinished basement [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 questions regarding my rough in for the tub in my unfinished basement. My first question regards the p-trap for the tub. This house was built in 2001. Is it common for the p-trap to be put in when they do the rough-in? I don't know whether to add the p-trap. A few pictures: 1st is a...

View more questions Search