Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbf Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Weedeater Featherlite blower - quit running
    My weedeater featherlite gas blower stopped running all of the sudden with no notice. I checked the gas and spark plug (not fouled), but I even tried a new plug and it won't start, or even try to start. I also tried starting fluid. It will turn over, but not start.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I can tear it apart if it is worth it. Most times, the parts cost more than a completely new blower.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Good news and bad news. A brand new unit will only cost you $80. A repair of your current unit will cost you $70-85. These engines are notorious for have poor carbs. They plug up easily and the valve seats aren't replaceable. Since the unit is worthless to you at present you could try to disassemble the carb and clean it with spray carb cleaner. The carb on your unit is about as big as a walnut so the task will be delicate. I've done many with only a 50/50 record.

Jan 10, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Thanks for the response. I will try to clean out the carb. I am pretty sure that the engine is not terminal, I had oil in the gas and when I pulled out the plug, there were no shavings or metal that I could see. The engine has compression, but will not start. What about the coil to fire the plug? Could this be bad?

Jan 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Coil problms are rare. Remove the plug and put the coil wire bacl of the terminal of the plug. Let the tip or threads of the plug ground againist the block of the engine. Pull the rope and you should see spark at the plug tip. This would confirm your spark/coil is OK. Some people even try to hold the plug in their hand. You will get a very unpleasant indication if there is spark but it won't kill you.
    You can try to squirt carb cleaner through the small brass gas inlet but it usually is better to disassemble the carb. I've had Gumout spray back in my eyes when shooting into the gas inlet. When disassembling the carb be very careful with the black rubber gasket. It is paper thin and can easily tear. Don't let the gasket dry out while you're working. Keep it in a small amount of fresh , clean gas.
    Bob

Jan 10, 2007, 12:07 PM
    JUST MADE A SPELL CHECK CORRECTION ON MY ANSWER: Coil problms are rare. Remove the plug and put the coil wire back on the terminal of the plug. Let the tip or threads of the plug ground againist the block of the engine. Pull the rope and you should see spark at the plug tip. This would confirm your spark/coil is OK. Some people even try to hold the plug in their hand. You will get a very unpleasant indication if there is spark but it won't kill you.
    You can try to squirt carb cleaner through the small brass gas inlet but it usually is better to disassemble the carb. I've had Gumout spray back in my eyes when shooting into the gas inlet. When disassembling the carb be very careful with the black rubber gasket. It is paper thin and can easily tear. Don't let the gasket dry out while you're working. Keep it in a small amount of fresh , clean gas.
    Bob
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2007, 12:58 AM
    When you were checking for "shavings" did you see any up and down scoring on the cylinder bore? AND I MEAN ANY... one or two is enough to lower compression, they need At least 90psi... even then they are hard to start...

DO NOT use starter fluid... it'll run hard and hot if it does run with NO oil... not a good thing, use seafoam and or gas/oil mix to kick start it.

If it didn't start of the fluid... the things to check are compression (with a gauge) spark, and the flywheel key (its molded into the flywheel... flywheel might have to be replaced)

Jan 22, 2007, 08:56 AM
    I did not pull the head apart and check for cylinder scoring, just looked through the plug hole to the top of the piston. Engine has some compression, but feels somewhat tighter than normal, but I don't know if this is just a worn out recoil mechanism.

Cleaned the carb as directed, did not start, will try to replace the gas with fresh premix. Checked the plug and there is spark. I can smell gas, so I am pretty sure that it is getting fuel and spark.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2007, 01:57 AM
    Check the compression then with a gauge... over 90psi is good.
    Is the muffler getting wet with gas? Does the carb have any adjustments?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WeedEater FeatherLite [ 5 Answers ]

I have a WeedEater FeatherLite gas trimmer and last weekend it just stopped working as I it was in use. I tried to start it up and the pull string won't move an inch. Any ideas as to how to fix this? Thanks

Weedeater Featherlite Plus [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'd like to find an exploded view diagram, specifically of the fuel tank, filter, and fuel lines of a "WEEDEATER FEATHERLITE PLUS" by Poulan. Hope you can help.

Featherlite Weedeater [ 2 Answers ]

Hi:I wonder could someone tell me the proper procedure how to install the fuelline and filter inside the fuel tank on my Featherlite Weedeater? The old fuelline is cracked in several places and need to be replaced.It's the fuelline inside the fueltank.really appreciate it. Thanks Slade.

Featherlite weedeater [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has this weedeater and wanting to do something nice for her I was going to us it and weed eat around her place. The thing is this doesn't look like the weedeaters I'm used to I can't find out how to get the bloody line in. My mom not knowing either. I read about it being bump and go,...

Weedeater featherlite [ 1 Answers ]

I want to change the head. I can't find my manual. I want to put the plastic blades on it. I don't see any bolts or anything to take off. Can someone please help me.

View more questions Search