Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stiflah Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Should I get a variable speed air handler or single speed?
    I'm looking into getting a new heating unit - I'm looking at 2 options - the single speed - standard model - and the 2 stage variable speed model- it's a little over a $1,000 difference - but I keep hearing about the variable being worth it - I have a single story home 3 bedroom - I'm adding another vent on the living room (biggest room) and an extra return in bedroom (hottest/coldest room) with those additions will I need the variable speed unit or will a single speed 2 ton unit be fine - Single speed has a 15 SEER and the variable has a 16.5 SEER - WHAT SHOULD I DO!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2010, 05:15 PM
    You posted this question Dec 8th and rec'd a number of answers. Not satisfied? Please do not repost the same question.
    Stiflah Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 12:01 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    Actually I asked about a 2 stage compressor before - this question is about variable speed air handlers
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2010, 02:34 PM
    Comment on ma0641's post
    I apologise for misreqding the question.
    KJFurnaceHelp Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2011, 06:31 PM
    I am new to this site and have a similar question. Should I purchase the 2-stage with multispeed motor or the 2-stage with variable speed motor? Although the variable speed is more efficient and cost less to run, does this motor cost more to replace when it dies out? Also, do these variable speed motors for a Goodman or Whirlpool last just as long as the multispeed motor?

Thanks much everyone for your help! My Heat Exchange is done and I am replacing furnace this week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Variable speed blower on AE6015 air handler [ 3 Answers ]

Going to low fan to high fan back to low fan back to high fan within 3-4 minutes known as heaving.

Variable speed on York Air Handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have a york air handler (no heat pump) and I have the motor on low (just have to move a wire to change from L,M,H) I was wondering if changing the motor speed to Med or High might help move the air better and make up for better efficiency and help not to be so cold in here at night. I just...

Retrofit variable speed fan motor into air handler [ 1 Answers ]

I have separate independent heating and cooling systems: oil-fired HW baseboard heat and central air. I presently close off the AC vents in the winter to avoid downdraft from the attic-based ducting system (whole AC distribution is in attic). I've heard that it would improve efficiency and...

Replace air handler with variable speed [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know if I can replace a standard air handler on a 5 ton system with a variable speed air handler without replacing the outside unit. The electronics on the air handler will be different but does the compressor work full time or not.

Prob. Variable Speed Air handler [ 2 Answers ]

A Trane XL14i heat pump was installed 6/8/05. The variable speed air handler fan only runs at full speed or off, but not slow when demand is low. The dealer's tech has replaced 2 electronic modules, to no avail. He can't seem get expert advice from Trane. I would greatly appreciate any advise to...

View more questions Search