Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    longtimealaskan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Downstairs toilet bubbles when washing machine drains
    Our house is about 30 years old and is connected to city sewer. The downstairs bathroom was unfinished so I got a plumbing permit from the city and installed plumbing for the tub, toilet, and sink and then finished the bathroom. The inspector approved my plumbing about a week ago.

I noticed today that the toilet bubbles when the washing machine is draining. I flushed the toilet and the bowl filled to the rim with water. It stayed full until the washing machine had finished draining. I then recalled several weeks ago when I was setting the toilet flange and my wife was doing laundry that soap bubbles came up through the 4 inch toilet drain pipe. Prior to this the drain was capped so no problem would have been evident. Before setting the toilet I noticed that the toilet drain had some debris in the pipe so I ran a snake through it and ran water down the drain. The toilet flushes quickly at other times so the problem occurs only when the washing machine is draining.

After reading the answers to a number of similar questions, I'm going to guess that I have a partial blockage somewhere in the drain system between the house and the street.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2007, 07:53 AM
    "After reading the answers to a number of similar questions, I'm going to guess that I have a partial blockage somewhere in the drain system between the house and the street."

Either a partial b lockage, in which case snaking the line will clear the problem, **OR** The drainage lines are too small to handle the volume the washer pump's putting out. Washers are coming out with stronger more powerful pumps and 1 1/2" drainage pipes have a problem handling the extra volume and pressure. Good luck, Tom
    longtimealaskan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Thanks for responding to my question. The part about the size of the drainage pipe confused me. "The drainage lines are too small to handle the volume the washer pump's putting out. Washers are coming out with stronger more powerful pumps and 1 1/2" drainage pipes have a problem handling the extra volume and pressure."

The toilet drain pipe is 4 inches in diameter and it enters the main drain pipe somewhere under the concrete floor. Wouldn't the main drain pipe also be at least 4 inches in diameter? What/where is the 1 1/2" drain pipe you referred to?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Either a partial b lockage, in which case snaking the line will clear the problem, Try this fiwst. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bubbles when washing machine empties [ 13 Answers ]

When my washing machine empties into the washtub, the nearby toilet has recently (about the past four - five months) started to have big air bubbles come out of the toilet bowl, making a very loud bwoop bwoop bwoop sound. The bubbles are so large that they actually cause water to splash on the...

Sink backs up when washing machine drains [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - My washing machine drains into a pipe in the basement floor. A utility sink drains into the same pipe a few inches "down stream" from the washing machine. When the washing machine drains, the utility sink backs up with a few inches of water, and then slowly drains, leaving behind dirt and...

Basement toilet bubbles when upstairs toilet is flushed and washer drains. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Just recently (last few days) my toilet in the basement bathroom has begun to bubble. This is caused when one of the upstairs toilets (directly above it) flushes but not another one upstairs. It also bubbles quite rapidly when the clothes washer drains. The washer is located in the...

Smell when washing machine drains [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had the problem of my wash machine overflowing drain pipe plumber recommended putting a fitting on top of drain to prevent water from overflowing and it worked until about a week later when I started smelling sewer smell checked it out and found some standing water under my bathroom on...

Downstairs toilet overflows when dishwasher or washing machine is emptying [ 2 Answers ]

When dishwasher and/or washing machine is emptying the downstairs toilet overflows. There is sometimes a bubbling or gurgling sound. Sometimes a little and sometimes a lot. We do have a septic tank, about 5 years old. There is no sewage involved in the overflow just the wash waste waster. A few...

View more questions Search