Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHEEBA1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 03:05 AM
    Married wife's name is on the mortgage she pays it monthly.what cost to add my name
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 14, 2010, 04:37 AM

To the mortgage? Probably nothing. Lenders always like to have more people responsible for paying.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 07:36 AM

A word of advice - if you're going to add your name to the mortgage you should also take steps to add your name to the property title as well. Otherwise you may end up paying for a property that isn't yours.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 07:56 AM

This is a waste of time and should be avoided. There is no benefit to you to do this. Can you tell us why you want to?

Dec 14, 2010, 11:14 AM
    My wife before we were married bought my house what rights does she have to it
    My wife bought my house before we were married by taking out an extra morgtage on her own house.my house is in my name along with the deeds,what right will she have to it when we divorce.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 14, 2010, 11:55 AM

Please clarify - you say the house is in your name "along with the deeds," but you also say your wife bought the house. Do you mean that the deed to the house is in your name but the mortgage is in her name? Did she make the down payment on your house before you were married? Who has been paying the mortgage?

There are no hard and fast rules that drive how assets are split, although in community property states typically the way it works is each partner retains what they brought into the marriage plus gifts and inheritances received during the marriage, and other assets accumulated by the couple during the marriage are split 50/50. So in this case your wife would be entitled to the initial equity in her own house plus the down payment she made on your house. Any equity that there may be in your house above the down payment would be split, as would any equity gain in her house during the time of the marriage.

This gets much more complicated if there are mitigating factors such as children, but assuming that it's just the two of you and you haven't been married more than a few years this would be a reasonable outcome. But it's all subject to negotiations and the final terms of the divorce, so your mileage may vary.

Dec 15, 2010, 06:00 AM
    Before my wife and myself got married I was unemployed we had been living together for about ten years although my postale address was in my own house, I was asked if I would consider byeing my house which at that time belonged to the Houseing Executive as I was entiteled to a great discount so I was able to bye it for £26.000.My partner said that she could borrow from her own mortgage and re mortgage her own house ,she then bought my house and the deeds and mortgage are in my name only there was no contract drawn up .I am know renting my house out and the rent is paid each month into my bank account and then transferd into her bank account. Our marriage is going threw a rough time and we may be divorce WHAT rights will she have to my house we have been married for three years we have a doughter who is tweelve. My wife's house is still in her name.

Dec 16, 2010, 04:03 AM
    Does my wife have any rights to my house when we Divorce
    My wife before we were married advised me that it would be a good time to bye my houseing execative house as I was due a discount on the house by the houseing execative and that it would be a good investment for my retirment in the future as I AM UNEMPLOYED . We lived together for ten years at her house which she payes the mortgage on.she desided to re mortgage her house to allow me to bye my house at £26.000 the house deeds are in my name only with no mortgage oweing on it .I have been renting my house and the money goes into my account every month and then is tranfered into my wife's acount. We are talking about splitting up and probable divorce,I need to know what rights she has to my house. We have a doughter now who is tweelve.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 04:10 AM

Please don't ask the same question twice. You have been receiving answers to your first post. Have you been reading them ?

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 16, 2010, 05:16 AM

I've merged all your threads. Please don't keep starting new threads for the same question. Please use the Answer options to add follow-up to this thread. You have been asked several questions. Please answer them to help us help you. Please include your general area as laws vary by area.

It is certainly possible that any assets acquired during your marriage would be split during a divorce.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 06:02 AM

Where is this happening at?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 16, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHEEBA1 View Post
    Before my wife and myself got married I ...

My partner said that she could borrow from her own mortage and ...

My wifes house is still in her name.
    This is the same person, right? The reason you ask is that you refer to her as your "partner" at one point.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed chapter 7 how do I continue making my monthly mortgage payments [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I filed chapter 7 now the bank won't take my mortgage payment, they told me pay it through the bankruptcy courts. What do I do?

How to add my wife's name to house deed [ 1 Answers ]

How do I add my wife's name to our house deed?

Monthly cost [ 2 Answers ]

Suppose that your monthly cost for a telephone service is $24.95 plus $.0035 per minute of long distance. Let t represent the time (in minute) that you talk on the phone long distance and M(t) represent the cost in $ as a function of long distance minutes. a. Write a formula, use the function...

How much does it cost to add my name to mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

:o I want to put my name on the mortgage for my husbands and I house but I want to know how much its going to cost me

View more questions Search