Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haachang Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 10:59 AM
    1994 toyota camry shuts off while driving but can restart fine after a few minutes
    My car will die when I stop at a light or drive slowly for less than a mile without any warning. The battery discharge light, the engine check, the oil pressure and the back door light will then be on. If I immediately try to restart, it won't work. However, if I wait a few minutes, restart again, it will be fine. I've sent it to the repair store several times, they have no clue. They say the car doesn't act up before them and runs fine in the store. It has about 99 k miles, timing belt changed last year, new spark plugs, new battery. The battery and alternator are tested to be fine. The battery terminals are changed. The wires and connections seem to be fine according to the store.
    Something I notice is this usually happens the next day after a night rain or some temperature change, more often with warm temperature.
    Today, I notice the engine coolant level is kind of low. But the car didn't die today and it is very cold.
    This is getting my nerve. Please help. Thank you.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2010, 11:12 AM

. Install a new OEM coil.

. Install new spark plugs (NGK only), if they have not been changed in the last three years.

. Install a new OEM Ignition Control Module (ICM), if the problem persists.

Dec 12, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Thanks for answering me. I usually don't do any work myself on my car. I've been going to a Midas store for a long time. Is it OK (appropriate) to just ask them to do what you said? I thought those people in the Midas should have known better and I shouldn't give them directions or suggestions.
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2010, 02:09 PM

I'd take it to Toyota. I would not take it to Midas.

Jan 20, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    I took it to a local repair shop (no toyota dealer nearby). They first tried the distributor, the problem persisted. Then they replaced something called ignition module. Didn't solve it. Then some sensor. Still not solved.

Jan 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
    Comment on TxGreaseMonkey's post
    The car is fine when it is cold and dry. When it is warm and humid, it will cut off shortly after you start. Some times within a mile, it will quit a few times. The first light coming on seems to be the battery light.
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
    Additional thoughts:

. Test the charging system:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1973613

Particularly, focus on the regulated battery voltage. The brushes may also be worn too far down.

. Check/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot. They become corroded, due to not changing the coolant frequently enough, flood the engine, and waste a tremendous amount of fuel.
    kenleycb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2014, 02:33 PM
    Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is doing the same thing...

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1994 toyota camry no spark [ 7 Answers ]

Last week my 1994 toyota 4 cyl. Camry died while on the road. It was having intermitent stalling problem during idle before failing last week and I was driving it like a stick shift pushing it into neutral at lights. I figured I'll drive it like that until the problem gets so bad it fails all...

1994 toyota camry no spark [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1994 Toyota Camry with a 2.2L 4cyl. That was running like a top right up until it died last week. I have checked the fuel system. It appears that I am getting plenty of fuel. Checking the plugs shows that I am not getting any spark. I have checked the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. All...

1994 toyota camry overheating when a/c on [ 0 Answers ]

I have a used 94 camry .for the first time I ran the a/c ancar started over heating an fluit can out of reisitvor.

1994 toyota camry 4 cylinder [ 1 Answers ]

How to bypass a/c compressor to altenator on 1994 toyota camry 4 cylinder

What are possible causes for overheating 1994 Toyota Camry V6 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My Camry started to overheat a few days ago when sitting in traffic or moving at low speeds and as well there is a loud 'whirring' sound (like an old Jeep) coming from the engine when it gets hot. Travelling at highway speeds it appears fine and doesn't overheat. Coolant had been low...

View more questions Search