Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trasdfsd Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 09:39 AM
    Why was I unfaithful?
    I have spent the last four months separated from my girlfriend by 2000 miles, and I have seen her only four times in that period. Our relationship is nearing 2 years. This past weekend I was at a going-away-party hosted by my colleagues, and it was very pleasant. There was a lot of wine, good conversation and a relaxed atmosphere. One of the girls - in a relationship, very attractive, and the same age as myself (25yrs) - has a previous reputation for being somewhat loose. And I was also attracted to her a few years ago. Although I have had respect for her both professionally and personally, I have been very critical of that particular aspect of her behavior. As it happens I got as drunk as I had planned, but I had not planned on falling asleep on the couch embracing this girl, as if it was my girlfriend. To me this is a clear violation of the terms of my own relationship. When I woke up the following morning, I called my girlfriend and explained to her what had happened. However, I have not been able to explain to neither myself nor to my girlfriend why I allowed it to happen. Did I like it? Did I forget my obligation to remain faithful? Have I secretly been wanting this to happen? Did I seek confirmation? Either option is extremely difficult for me to accept, and I have always hated people who aren't true to each other. I feel that I was right to tell my girlfriend about the situation right away, despite the pain we are now both feeling. I do feel as if I have cheated on her, and I don't understand why I did it. With all my principles and experience with alcohol, I had never pictured me in a situation like this. I am hoping to mend our relationship, but I feel that I must first understand the reasons that led up to this.
    Any opinions and input is much appreciated. Am I missing some biochemical factors? Am I lying to myself? Am I trying to save face?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2010, 10:32 AM

Could it just be that you were lonely and missing someone (your girlfriend) to hold?

The girl in question was available and perhaps you thought on some level she would not mind.

It does not ease the hurt or confusion but perhaps it's a starting point.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 11:19 AM
    You have seen your girlfriend, once a month, for the past four months because she is away. Otherwise, the prior 20 months of the relationship, you were together.

You are having a crisis, because you fell asleep on the couch, with a woman. So, what's with the meltdown?

Why do you need to characterize the woman on the couch as being 'loose' and poor moral character? Was there more to just passing out on the couch to justify these great feelings of confusion and guilt you have?

If you harmlessly partied, drank too much, and there was a lack of beds, and you shared the couch with a male friend instead, would you be so upset? You were, after all, in the livingroom I presume, with other people in the house, in similar shape to what you were in.

Was it a matter of that you pursued her all night, professed your past feelings for her, admitted to being attracted to her, and you did the ditty while nobody was looking? Or was it seriously the other way around, you both fell asleep on the couch, got up in the morning and went your separate ways.

You are being so hard on yourself, I have to wonder what's with all the psychoanalysis of falling asleep on the couch meaning so much more than simply falling asleep on the couch. Unless there is more to the story.

Dec 12, 2010, 12:18 PM
    Comment on Jake2008's post
    My girlfriend has been telling me that what she has missed the most and needed the most this fall, has been my arms around her when falling asleep. And that is what I miss as well. I haven't been there for her, but now I offer myself to anyone...
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by trasdfsd View Post
    I haven't been there for her, but now I offer myself to anyone...
    You haven't been there because 2000 miles isn't a distance you can just up and drive to her location.

Let me break this down Barney style:

1. Did anything more; than what you've explained already, happen that night, couch or otherwise?

If you're answer is no then you're being way to hard on yourself. I agree with the poster who asked you about falling asleep on the couch with a guy. Would you feel the same way? Nothing happpened. You just shared a couch to catch some shut eye.

Now if other thoughts or intentions crossed your mind then that is a different story.

I say ease up!

Dec 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    I appreciate the gender-perspective, and the answer is No. The answer is also No to Did anything else happen, BUT I have images of my hair being fondled, and opening my arms. I find it hard to accept that I liked it enough not to put an end to it.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 03:19 PM

1. You are missing your girlfriend. You are missing the human touch. How long until you are back in the same place for good?

2. You not only allowed yourself to get drunk, you got drunk as drunk as you planned.

3. You were with someone who you find attractive on many levels (and have for quite awhile) and apparently she was drunk as well and missing her boyfriend.

4. It sounds like you used her like a teddy bear and she used you like a kitten or puppy. I sometimes fall asleep petting my dog. It doesn't mean I want her to replace my husband.

5. You don't seem to have a very clear memory of what happened. I'd bet she doesn't either. Be careful that you don't mix up reality and dreams. You still had your clothes on and no one has posted pictures of you making out so it doesn't sound as bad as you are building it up to be.

6. I commend you for telling your girlfriend about it before someone else might have. However, I think you are reacting not to this one episode but to doubts that are starting to arise with the distance between you and her. Long Distance Relationships aren't easy. They take work and trust. They also take understanding your needs and how to adapt to the deprivation. Phone calls and Skype don't really fill in for falling asleep in each other's arms or waking up to the sound of your loved one moving around and knowing he/she is there. Share positive moments along with the 'missing you' thoughts.

Throughout your relationship, you will be attracted on some level to other people. Attracted does not mean you want to have sex with them. It means that looks, personality, professionalism, brains, etc. made them interesting to you. We choose friends by those qualities in them that attract us. You don't stick around people who repel you for very long, do you?

Bottom line, don't get drunk. Alcohol and loneliness do not mix well. We have plenty of threads where lines were destroyed by alcohol consumption. You don't seem to have done that. You are aware of the danger. Heed the warning signs.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2010, 09:16 PM

Alcohol switches emotion and intellect. Drink enough and thinking rationally goes down the tube. That doesn't mean you're stupid, or that you were stupid. It means that alcohol took over and made you emotional and non-thinking.

You miss your girlfriend. Being separated is hard on both of you.

Don't let alcohol screw with you anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my husband unfaithful? [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, Should I be worried about the SMS that my husband wrote to one woman when he was out of town where he begins with Mine and end with Yours? He also refers to them to meet later. Sirkka

Am I being unfaithful? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum. There is something which I need to talk about. It is really killing me inside and I really need to get it out. Well, I am almost 29 years old and this is my first year of marriage. I am married to a very loving, caring and understanding husband. We dated for...

Am I unfaithful [ 19 Answers ]

Well I don't know how people will judge me if I say that I am married and I have nice friend from chat Well our relationship is based on just writing sending mails and sharing ideas through forums but no cam our friendship was so strong and respecting each others in some extent we don't talk about...

Unfaithful I AM. [ 16 Answers ]

Ok so here it is. So I betrayed my wife of 4 years. We were fighting constantly and nothing was getting better our friend that I have known for years since grade school kissed me when we were drunk. Well I giving feeling low thought that was nice someone hit on me. Well after I felt like a piece...

How do I get her to believe I was never unfaithful. [ 5 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend doesn't believe I was faithful to her, we have been apart for over5 months now? I called her some abuseive names because I got tired of being accused of something I didn't do! Alls I did was try to get her to trust I was just helping a woman from church, a woman that I have been...

View more questions Search