Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scsark Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2003, 07:39 PM
    Literature
    Trivia: What book did the author himself have to pay to have published? Walden, by Thoreau, Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce, or The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot?
    CleanMan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2004, 09:50 AM
    Literature
    I think it was Joyce. I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
    a1succesforce Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

May 31, 2004, 09:15 AM
    Literature
    Hi scs,

Walden, by Thoreau was first published by Ticknor and Fields in 1854. Thoreau did publish some of his own works prior to this (most notably "A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers").

"Leaves of Grass" was by Walt Whitman himself in 1855.

"Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" by James Joyce was originally published in serial form by "The Egoist" magazine 1914-1915.

"The Wasteland" by T.S. Eliot was first published in the quarterly publication "Criterion" in 1922. BUT here's where it gets interesting - T.S. Eliot founded the magazine(?) himself in 1922, so technically he published it himself, although not in book form.

SO... to answer your original question: To the best of my knowledge "Leaves of Grass" and "The Wasteland" were self-published.
    DeathBlade Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2004, 04:37 PM
    Re: literature
    Leaves of grass

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symbolism of water, biblical, and in literature [ 5 Answers ]

Latetly I have noticed How fascinated I am with water, and I was wondering what religios symbolism has been placed in/ about water. Dreams or anything really. IT has the strangest amounts of calming to where I can just see a picture of water and all my anger seems to melt. Like it washes away with...

View more questions Search