Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 06:39 AM
    1990 Chrysler dynasty spedometer doesn't work properly
    I recently bought a 1990 Chrysler Dynasty, a week or so after buying it I noticed the spedometer wasn't working. It works sometimes pefectly, other days it goes from 0-180 in seconds (I wish my car was that good) and then back to zero and bounces around in the middle but it doesn't stay still, other days it simply doesn't work. I don't want to take it to a garage if it is going to be a lot to fix, I might as well get a new car, but if it's something relatively easy and cheap to fix I'd like to get it fixed. Any suggestions what could cause this?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2010, 06:59 AM

Check the Variable Speed Sensor (VSS), located on the transmission. Remove and clean the connector. If the problem continues, replace the VSS. Should be an easy job.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Dec 10, 2010, 07:02 AM

That particular vehicle is prone to Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) failure.
    When the speedo goes haywire, does the odometer still seem to function normally?
    If not, you may need the VSS replaced. Chrysler/Dodge has a new sensor but it requires a modification to the harness that lead to it.
    I would recommend having it diagnosed to verify what is causing the problem is before we speculate further, you know?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remote does not work properly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new ceiling fan replacing an old one. The new one has remote. I have hooked up the ceiling fan/light using the electrical wiring diagram. When I turn the power back on, the fan motor starts to turn. I tried to turn it off using the remote and the lights came on. I tried to us the light...

1990 Honda Accord not cranking properly [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX. It has been running fine. The other day I went to crank it up and it started, but when I let go of the key it died. After letting it sit for a couple of hours it cranked right up and ran fine for a couple of days. Then yesterday it did the same thing again. What...

Dodge Dynasty (1990) front marker light change [ 1 Answers ]

How to access socket for bulb replacement? Insufficient access to socket from inside engine compartment. Apparently lens/parabolic reflector assembly must be dismounted from the car body. Photos from parts supplier's computer don't look quite like the auto's configuration. Diagram shows...

How can I get my new pull cord to work properly? [ 1 Answers ]

I have just replaced the pull cord on my small Murray push lawnmower and I can't get it to pull out. I rewound the spring, snaked in the new cord, reinstalled ; and the cord wound itself in as expected when I released the tension. When I try to pull the cord out as in a normal starting procedure,...

Can't get Yahoo messenger to work properly [ 3 Answers ]

I can use Yahoo messenger to IM but it will not let me chat or use none of the extras such as IMviroments.Went to Yahoo messenger help and wanted me to re-download it but my computer will not let me.

View more questions Search