Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benthegadget Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Is my 5 year old son gifted or just a quick learner or is their a difference
    We have a 5 year old son who picks up on things very quickly he has not started kindergarten yet he will start next year. He can count to 100 by ones and by 10's , he can count to 15 in Spanish he knows the oceans of the earth can spell his name his brothers name mommy daddy grandma and grandpa. He knows all of his shapes even octagon oval . Know all colors we have a kindergarten work book that he is bored with. He can match a word with the picture of the same item not having them together.

Should I get him tested, and if so what should I get him tested for . Or is he normal for a 5 year old? Thank you for your help

Sincerely
    Ben Holmes:)
    dono2007 Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Jan 8, 2007, 09:08 PM
    Wow... uhh I don't think that's normal!! and then again I wouldn't exactly know anyway, but wow!!
    soraya Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Yes, your son is gifted. My son is too. When he gets to school, know that the teachers will not know how to deal with this and might assume he is not al learner because he will get bored quickly. He will finish his work fast and instead of giving him "different" work, they will just add on to more of the same thing.
    I ended up having to have my son privately tested. It is not easy having a gifted child. They tend to withdraw since they cannot find friends that are on their level.
    I am hoping that the school he wll attend will recognize his gift and teach accordingly]
    p170mj4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 05:54 PM
    I have twins that just turned five this month. My daughter is advanced I have been told, but my son is gifted I believe. He reads anything that he picks up, can count to 1000, can name all 50 states by looking at a map without the names on them. So I think your son is a quick learner like my daughter and I think he will do well in Kindergarten because some kids don't even know their ABC's. I am going to have my son tested but not my daughter since she is also a quick learner like your son.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old gifted or very bright? [ 60 Answers ]

Hi everyone, The director of the day care where my son goes twice a week believes that he may be gifted. She wants to have him assessed. I have done a lot of reading up on this subject, and have looked at the characteristics of gifted children... but I am still not sure if he is just very...

Parenting my 22 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

I have been a single parent for most of my son's life. He is now 22 and graduating from college 7 hours from home. Since he was 13, he shut down completely towards me, however, is friendly to all others around him, including his father, who he is still close to. I have gone through years of his...

Need help with my 12 year old son [ 11 Answers ]

I am having a hard time with my son he is 12 years old and he is into a lot of trouble all the time. At school he is a bully and pushed the school to the point of sending him to the courts as an unruly kid if there is one more incident! I know he needs help and I want to get him help but I am on...

Do you think my 5 year is gifted [ 11 Answers ]

Are you able to tell me if this is Asperger of Giftness Traits? My 5 year always been different since birth. Never slept through the night, very fussy, very picky with eat at birth. But now he's 5 years old and he's *Very demanding *Impatience *Emotionally sensitive *Curious of...

My 16 year old son seems to have given up [ 19 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old widow who lost her husband 7 months ago... my son is 16.. he is not dealing with it well.. doesnt want to go to school anymore.. wont seek help.. doesnt see his friends anymore.. stays in his room... I don't know what to do.. I have tried everything! Can someone give me some...

View more questions Search