Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 07:47 PM
    Hey! This is Australia
    And if Oprah don't like it then :mad: Our wogs like golliwogs why should we be PC because some US talk show host visits. What is she afraid of? Her history?
    Jeff Kennett dismayed by golliwog removal for Oprah visit | News.com.au

Frankly I'm affronted they have changed the name of the Opera House to the Oprah House. It is my taxes that paid for the Opera House not Oprah and I don't think that corrupting the name is anything other than querky and condescending and it is certainly not funny. And yes Koalas do feel like the Koalas in stores, we use real fur to make them. Duh!

By now you might have guessed I'm not a fan of Oprah or any of the american talk show hosts who seem to have invaded our TV sets. I have a serious aversion to talking heads on television
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 08:30 PM

Man-O-Man, can't you guys come up with anything original. That doll looks like Aunt Jemima.

Aunt Jemima
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2010, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Man-O-Man, can't you guys come up with anything original. That doll looks like Aunt Jemima.

Aunt Jemima
    Yeh we probably borrowed it from you, but it was also probably made in China for the US market, but golliwogs have been children's favourites in Australia since the nineteenth century so our traditions are important, more important than Opruh. You see we never had any slaves to upset and our black folks are happy for any recognition. If you want us to import your culture you have to put up with things like this anyway, we after all want to take the good with the bad and Golliwogs are good, and Opruh is bad, just rancid materialism
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 10:06 AM

I assume your televisions come with on /off switches and channel dials (or remotes that can do the task).

I guess there is not as much nativism there than you represent.
    BTW... keeps sending us your best performers . I don't mind it at all.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I assume your televisions come with on /off switches and channel dials (or remotes that can do the task).

I guess there is not as much nativism there than you represent.
    BTW ....keeps sending us your best performers . I don't mind it at all.
    Yes we send you our best and you send us your worst. Yes our televisions do come with off switches although you would think that that watching cr*p had become mandatory even on the news services
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 03:16 PM

Oprah is very popular here for reaons someone would have to explain to me . I get your point.You can have Oprah... I'll take Rose Byrne.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Who? We don't want your has beens or your would be's and we don't want your materialism typified by Opruh. I see these tours as despirately trying to find an audience. Opruh was so desperate she brought one with her and what have we got, a media circus!
    Just_Another_Lemming Posts: 437, Reputation: 211

Dec 9, 2010, 04:00 PM

LOL! Paraclete, that article points to only one version of a golliwog being pulled off the shelves and it is only occurring in that one store. The owners stated they have other golliwogs still on display for sale.

Must be a slow news day over there.

BTW, my favorite quote from the article:
    "I think every golliwog should rise up as one against this political correctness.''

PMSL at that one!

As far as renaming the Opera House, you can't place the blame on us for that one. Whether it is temporary or permanent, I think you need to take up your complaint with the Aussie government official who agreed to it. Sounds like someone in control over there is a big Oprah fan.

I suspect the officials have purposely publicized Oprah's visit as a mega event. They know it will bring tourists, who will bring their spending money to the city. ;)

Dec 9, 2010, 04:05 PM

I was posting at the same time you did. Clete, you don't know who Rose Byrne is? She is a cutie Aussie. Good actress too.
    Rose Byrne - IMDb

The U.S. has a lot of good Aussie actors/actresses that seem to like working here. We don't mind.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Dec 9, 2010, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Who? We don't want your has beens or your would be's and we don't want your materialism typified by Opruh. I see these tours as despirately trying to find an audience. Opruh was so desperate she brought one with her and what have we got, a media circus!
    Here's and idea... Don't watch TV. There. Done. Problem solved.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post
    LOL! Paraclete, that article points to only one version of a golliwog being pulled off the shelves and it is only occurring in that one store. The owners stated they have other golliwogs still on display for sale.

Must be a slow news day over there.

BTW, my favorite quote from the article:
    "I think every golliwog should rise up as one against this political correctness.''

PMSL at that one!

As far as renaming the Opera House, you can't place the blame on us for that one. Whether it is temporary or permanent, I think you need to take up your complaint with the Aussie government official who agreed to it. Sounds like someone in control over there is a big Oprah fan.

I suspect the officials have purposely publicized Oprah's visit as a mega event. They know it will bring tourists, who will bring their spending money, to the city. ;)
    Hi lemming, yes we know it is a tourism publicity event but it is so plastic.
    Opruh cuddling a Koala at Ayers Rock (Uluru) there isn't a Koala living within hundreds of miles of Uluru so all those tourists who go there will be disappointed. It's a one day wonder as far as Sydney is concerned and the way the weather is, will probably be rained out.

Dec 9, 2010, 05:04 PM

They won't be disappointed. The tourists will learn a piece of Aussie history. They will be on a tour bus and will learn about the history of Uluru and why it is sacred to the Aborigines. Then, the tour bus, after it runs over a couple of 'roo on the road, will take 'em to the zoo where they will see the koalas and the wombats. During that time, they will buy trinkets, lunch, gifts for the gang back home, & pay for their hotel rooms. Plastic or not, her visit is a huge boone for Sydney's tourism industry.

By the way, the golliwog's roots are based in American History, not Australian. It is actually considered offensive to all Americans, not just African-Americans. The golliwog character was based on a black ministrel doll that was owned by it's creator.
    The Golliwog Caricature

So, bear with Oprah's presence as best as you can. She will return to the U.S. soon enough and Sydney's businesses will be left a little richer for it. Then, your special golliwog will be put back in that store's window and in one week's time, it will all just seem like a bad dream.

In the meantime, please say "hi" to Oprah for me.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 05:25 PM

Clete... I think you should go to the show... maybe Oprah will have one of those give-aways she's famous for.
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Clete ...I think you should go to the show ...maybe Oprah will have one of those give-aways she's famous for.
    Tom I hardly think it will be worth being drenched on the steps of the Opera House for or fighting Sydney traffic with the routes disorganised. We don't have anything worth giving away here, and anyway, who needs products that don't sell somewhereelse. I don't like the universal provider syndrome in any form and this is one of the worst forms of it I have seen.

Lemming seems to think this is a great idea, but my country is more than Hamilton Island and Uluru. I've been to both and I can say; been there, done that, strickly for the tourists. By the way should I tell them there is a shearing shed in every city where they can be painlessly relieved of their money

Dec 10, 2010, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Lemming seems to think this is a great idea, but my country is more than Hamilton Island and Uluru. I've been to both and I can say; been there, done that, strickly for the tourists. By the way should I tell them there is a shearing shed in every city where they can be painlessly relieved of their money
    LOL! You know very well that my point is... It is good for Sydney's economy. So find that silver lining in the self-imposed cloud over your head. Be thankful that you are experiencing summer and not freezing your cajones off as I am here in Northern New England. I just woke up to temps of -5 F. If my conversion is right, that is about -20 C.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 06:19 AM

For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would be offended by a "Mamee" washer woman golliwog.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 06:24 AM

Maybe we can send a companion Black Sambo doll
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Another_Lemming View Post
    LOL! You know very well that my point is... It is good for Sydney's economy. So find that silver lining in the self-imposed cloud over your head. Be thankful that you are experiencing summer and not freezing your cajones off as I am here in Northern New England. I just woke up to temps of -5 F. If my conversion is right, that is about -20 C.
    Yeh have the place totally disorganised for a few hundred tourists is good for the economy? As to freezing we do that where I live every winter, maybe not -20C but -8C or even -10C fortunately that is without snow so you are welcome to the snow but I expect you are there by choice so remember your long johns
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would be offended by a "Mamee" washer woman golliwog.
    Exactly, I can't either. The negro isn't the only black race in the world, Melbourne has plenty of Indians, Sri Lankans, Somalis, Aboriginees and we don't hear them complaining but let one stupid yank into the country and they are offended. All I can say is get a life!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Its like being low, hey hey hey like being stoned [ 2 Answers ]

I need help I love this song but I don't know the name or artist. It goes Me with you girl, its like being low, hey hey hey like being stoned. It's a rock song Help thanks Peace

View more questions Search