Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 03:43 PM
    Pesky little no internet access?
    I am helping a girl at work with her brand new Toshiba laptop (less then 4 days old) and she is saying that when she connects to her home network via wireless (Linksys WRT160-N) after about 15 minutes she gets a no internet access to her network. She also said that the PS3 and Wii don't have issues. (both hooked via wireless to the network as well)

I have tried a bunch of things. So I will refrain from saying what I did and inform you if it's suggested. (partly because I can't remember :()

Ideas? Throw them at me!

The one thing I didn't ask which I will tonight, is if she can disconnect and connect again, if that tempoarily works!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Change the broadcast channel as there maybe interference from neighbours.
    Either end of the spectrum is normally pretty empty.

Also worth considering is how she is using it.
    A lot of tosh machines have a physical wireless switch..
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Alot of tosh machines have a physical wireless switch..
    Could you explain further?
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2010, 03:52 PM
    If she's using it on her lap, she maybe turning the wireless off, or nudging the switch enough to interrupt it.

Sounds dumb, but I've seen a lot worse ;)
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 03:55 PM

Oh I understand, (duh... its been a long day)

I don't thhat is it though, her switch is above the keyboard under the screen! (hard to bump that)
    BossMan

Dec 8, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Told you it was dumb, but don't rule out things like that ;)
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Dec 8, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Have you tried the following:

- Latest wireless driver from Toshiba
    - Uninstalling Toshiba's wireless management solution (configfree?? ) and allow windows to manage the wireless
    - Check power management to see if wireless is being put to sleep (under properties advanced settings and power management. Don't let windows put the device to sleep)

Good luck
    Networking Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajalat View Post
    Have you tried the following:

- Latest wireless driver from Toshiba
    - Uninstalling Toshiba's wireless management solution (configfree???) and allow windows to manage the wireless
    - Check power management to see if wireless is being put to sleep (under properties advanced settings and power management. Don't let windows put the device to sleep)

Good luck
    1. Yes. The driver was the firs tthing I checked.
    2. I didn't see a Toshiba Managed Wireless prog. Anywhere on the laptop. WZC is configured to atart and run automatically.
    3. Power Management was the second thing I checked.
    4. Also, check power options because it has options on antenna strenth when unplugged and plugged in etc... set all those to operable conditions!

I have a feeling if I chagne the channel it would work. They live in a highly populated suburb. However, if I change this will that cause any conflict with the wireless connections already established? (never had to change the channel before[always had fez for that;)])

Dec 9, 2010, 03:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    I have a feeling if I chagne the channel it would work. They live in a highly populated suburb. However, if I change this will that cause any conflict with the wireless connections already established? (never had to change the channel before[always had fez for that;)])
    Use visual stumbler (Vistumbler.net - Home) to see which channels are in use. Pick channels from channels 1, 6, or 11 and if all of them are in use then pick the one that has the weakest signal. If you have an auto-channel setting then choose that as that would change the channel for you to the least congested channel.

If you change the channel on your wireless router then your devices will automatically reconnect. You need to insure that your client is setup to automatically pick the channel (that's generally the default).

Another option might be to use either 802.11a or 802.11n (not b or g) if you have that option. There are a lot fewer devices now-a-days in those bands which tends to help in avoiding interference from neighboring APs.
    BossMan

Dec 9, 2010, 03:20 AM
    There's also a little Android App that will help called WiFi Analyzer.
    A Freebie of course ;)
    b2tb02 Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Dec 9, 2010, 10:46 AM
    All has been answer actually, but here is one just in case overlooked, if the wifi is protected by MAC filtering has she add the new laptop mac address to the pool? If that has been done, delete the connection, and do it again this time let windows manage the wiereless connection, some new laptops come with their own wireless management software which only causes problems, if that is the case.

Just disable the included application and re-install the connection and let windows manager manage the wireless

And please stop advising people to download and install software, I can't tell you how many times people download viruses, or applications that corrup the dll system and make the system unstable, so refrain from install pieces of software and use the windows included one, those are usually all you need.

Dec 9, 2010, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by b2tb02 View Post
    ...if the wifi is protected by MAC filtering has she add the new laptop mac address to the pool?
    That's typically something that gets overlooked but I believe the original poster said that the laptop connects OK for a few minutes and then drops the connection. That is not the behavior of MAC filtering. With MAC filtering the router either allows or denies the connection.

Your statement however does remind me of another potential problem which is unlikely but still worth looking at. Some home routers allow connections based on time of day. Perhaps that capability has been enabled (intentional or accidental) but worth looking at to eliminate as a source of problem.

Just disable the included application and re-install the connection and let windows manager manage the wireless
    Yes that's already been suggested in the thread.

and please stop advising people to download and install software, I can't tell you how many times people download viruses, or applications that corrup the dll system and make the system unstable, so refrain from install pieces of software and use the windows included one, those are usually all you need.
    Limiting the number of unnecessary programs is always a good idea. However, neither Curlyben, ITstudent2006, nor I are novices at this and the programs we suggest (with links) are well established programs.

By the way... welcome to the board.
    Networking Expert

Dec 9, 2010, 01:16 PM
    All has been answer actually, but here is one just in case overlooked, if the wifi is protected by MAC filtering has she add the new laptop mac address to the pool? if that has been done, delete the connection, and do it again this time let windows manage the wiereless connection, some new laptops come with their own wireless management software which only causes problems, if that is the case.

and please stop advising people to download and install software, I can't tell you how many times people download viruses, or applications that corrup the dll system and make the system unstable, so refrain from install pieces of software and use the windows included one, those are usually all you need.
    This is not a MaC filtering issue. Like the above poster mentioned MAC filtering either allows or denies. There's no half-way on that aspect.

As I've stated before, this is a Windows Managed Connection. There is no third-party program managing this wireless connection.

Your comment about downloading and installing software is merely your opinion. Throwing posters (especially the three mentioned above) under the bus for doing so is disrespectful to us and second-guesses our knowledge & stances in this forum. Can you honestly say you have not installed software on your PC?

Back to the topic. I've been thinking more about it and is the channel idea really going to solve the problem? The PS3 and Wii never drop connection.

I think it has to do with the power options of the laptop (not power management) because it only does it when she is unplugged!

Also, it is not a restriction on log-on hours as she can plug it in and reconnect (with internet access) successfully!

B2tb02- I am not disregarding your advice as it is good advice for issues not pertaining to mine. However, I am disregarding your comment about downloading and installing software. My name says student but I am not a student. When someone tells me to download and install I have the knowledge to know whether I need to or not! The software that was mentioned is legit software from a legit site. (I just already have CommView, so I can browse channel congestion already)

P.S. Welcome to the site, I have a feeling you're quite knowledgeable and encourage you to stay and partake in this forum. (I'm just hoping we don't scare you away) ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Cannot access internet [ 20 Answers ]

Hi,I have windows xp sp2,hp laptop,whenever I try to connect the internet using lan cable,my computer is unable to register on d net,the output of ipconfig/all is mapping_data_source::init error: file not found Microsoft Windows XP (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and...

Internet access [ 9 Answers ]

Hi AOL v9 using xp does not install files to connect to service when requested No AOL browser visible Ta Norm

Internet access [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small network of 8 computers running Windows XP home edition and connected to the internet using my telephone company's DSL service. Each computer has an individual's e-mail account using Outlook Express so I need internet connection for this function. What I want to do is prevent certain...

View more questions Search