Tax deduction sponsorship 501c3 event?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 12:50 PM

What is your specific question?
    jharrissr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 07:49 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    I'm chairman of a 501 c3 cleaning science research group putting on a symposium. In order to help defray expenses I'm asking for sponsors to financially support the event. Is their $ support deductible?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 9, 2010, 10:22 AM

Donations to a "qualified" 501c(3) are tax deductible, meaning your organization is incuded in the IRS's list of qualified organizations in their Pub 78. To check that, go to the following web site and do a search for your organization. If it's there, then yes, donations from individuals are tax deductible:

Search for Charities

As a side note: donations to churches, synagogues, mosques, and government agencies are generally tax deductible, even though most are not listed in Pub 78. But your organization must be listed, or donors can not deduct their donations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501c3 Lease agreements/tax writeoffs [ 1 Answers ]

Is it an ethical practice for a 501c3 to approach a potential landlord with the idea that if they lease to them a building for $4000 a month, but only charge the non-profit $1000 a month, the landlord gets a $3000 write off that was never collected? This was an actual statement from the...

Tax on Sponsorship [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently an international student (with an F-1 visa) at a US university for my master degree program. I came to the US in August 2007 and will graduate in June 2008. Before I came here, I worked with a US company's overseas office for a couple of years and the company promised to sponsor my...

Sponsorship donations for charity event [ 0 Answers ]

If I am working with a non-profit 501c3 event such as a dinner to raise $ for this nonprofit group and I offer "sponsorship" options or "ads" in our program, and I want to ask for X amount of money for Gold Sponsorship and have a portion be tax-deductible and go directly to the charity with the...

501c3 for a single event [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to form a 501c3 non-profit for the purpose of a single event? Ie, to put on a single fundraising event (ie a theatre production which takes place over 8 performances with an opening night silent auction/raffle) where donations can be accepted to cover overhead expenses while the net...

View more questions Search