Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Dec 8, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Sump pump float height
    I'm struggling with a wet basement and need to verify if my sump pump is kicking on and off at the correct water height, and if changing it will help.

I live on a hill that descends south to north, and the sump hole was dug on the north east corner of the basement. This may have been done because they stupidly finished the basement and then had to find a place for the sump hole.

To make matters worse, on the northwest corner they put in a floor drain that I just recently discovered appears to connects to the outside footer drain. Not sure why, other than the footer eventually went somewhere downhill away from the house into maybe a dry well, but now is plugged. I literally get water bubbling (no kidding) up from that drain during heavy rain. Naturally this will make a great secondary sump hole, and I plan to put it in.

Right now most of the water is coming in from that silly drain, and to a much lesser extent the southeast, and east side of the basement. Despite my plan to put in a sump hole where the floor drain is, I am skeptical it will help the southeast, and east side of the basement.

As mentioned, I have a crudely dug sump hole with PVC basin, submersible pump and tethered switch. There is gravel in the bottom of my PVC basin upon which the pump sits, 17" below the basin top. Not sure how high the tethered switch floats from the pump - maybe 6"-8".

I've read you want the pump set to never let the water get past 1 or 2 inches over the top of the foundation drain pipe entering your sump. Problem is I don't have drain pipes as it is an after the fact dug sump hole. All I have is gravel outside my basin through which water seeps.

So I am wondering if lower the height of my sump pump will help my southeast and east side of the basement, and what would be the proper float turn on/off height?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 04:04 PM

Hi Dac122...

I would tether the float switch so that it doesn't hit the side of the pit in any manner whatsoever. Then I would use some common sense and I would experiment a bit with what height to place the float.

You can start down pretty tight to the pump... couple inches above... and see what happens during the next storm. Make adjustments until you find that placement that works best for you.

Finally, if you can still return the pump and purchase a sump pump like a ZOELLER or a LITTLE GIANT that has an integral float (no float switch on a separate cord) then I would recommend it as these corded float switches seem to fail just when they are needed.

The zoeller pump, for example, has a float that can't catch anything and isn't mechanical in itself... just a float attached to a lever arm... very few issues with these designs... ;)

Otherwise, as mentioned, a little trial and error is best to find your best height.

Mark

PS: Don't forget to install the CHECK VALVE, OK?
    Attached Images

dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Dec 10, 2010, 06:02 AM

Thanks mass.

I will try lowering the float this weekend and see if it helps.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
    All great answers but nobody addressed the floor drain backup. Let me take care of that right now.
    What that floor drain needs is a Flood Guard,(see image) This will solve the floor drain issue. Check them out at. PlumbingSupply.com - Flood Guards For Floor Drains - check valves to prevent flooding Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Dec 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
    I agree with Tom. Buy pump with built-in switch. That will solve your problem. Zoeller pumps are the best. Back to you. Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Float pump keeps refilling tank [ 0 Answers ]

I have replaced the float pump, the seal between the tank and the bowl, the over flow tower, the flapper, the seal around the flapper and now not only does the new float pump not fill the tank to the line, but comes on every 30 minutes to refill the tank. What else could it be??

My sump pump won't turn off after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit [ 2 Answers ]

My sump pump is only 3 years old and it won't stop running after it has pumped the water out of the sump pit. What do I do to fix this? Is there a switch that I have to adjust? Please help.

How many holes should the basin of the ejector sump and how many for the sump pump? [ 3 Answers ]

I have two different wells, one holds my ejector pump and the other one holds the sump pump. I recently was getting water in my sub basement and it was coming from between the basin w/ejector pump and the concrete. Once we drilled a hole in the basin the water drains from the concrete into the...

Sump pump float stuck [ 1 Answers ]

Please help!! I have a 4 year old submersible sump pump - two nights ago we heard it running and would not stop. Upon investigation, we found the float stuck in the 'up' position... did not sink as water was pumped out. We tapped the float, it turned off, we added some water (pit was very...

Septic Pump Float Failure [ 1 Answers ]

Throw out my common sense with the trash. I need help. 2 weeks ago, Memorial Day Weekend, my septic pit overflowed. I called my plumber/friend, who was unavailable. I decided I could pull out the septic pump and replace it. I pulled it out and removed the minimal hair and such. I plugged...

View more questions Search