Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princess08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights
    Hello, I had a child 14years when I was 18 and The father and his mother took my child from me at the age of one after I went in the hospital to have my daughter. I came home and went to pick up my child and they wouldn't let me after I called the police and came back to the house with the police they had also called the police and since the father lived in the household the police said he did nothing wrong. They kept my son in hiding for years and then out of the blue I get a court order for child support I had no job at the time due to my company just folding and when I did get a job I went to court and now I'm in arrears I haven't seen my child for 13years and now I have two girls one 13 and the other 8 and I'm getting married next year. I need to relinquished my Parental rights because his father only allowed me to see him once he won't relay any phone messages and I have no relationship with him. So I need to know the steps to relinquish my rights. I'm very hurt!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Giving up your rights, is only the right to see, not the obligation to pay, that you can not normally give up without the other persons permission.

You had a option for the last 14 years to go back to court and file for custody yourself, you choose not to do that. You can not give up your obligation for child support if they win, you need to hire an attorney and fight it in court .
    SingleMom7105 Posts: 63, Reputation: 4

Feb 7, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Go to courts and you can petision for visitation, then they have to let you see him. Or you can petision to terminate your rights.

You need to make sure you think long and hard before you terminte your rights, your son may never forgive you. He could come back when he is older and not forgive you because you didn't fight for him.

He will more then likely come back and make you feel guilty when he is older because you gave up your rights. It's a big decision and you need to think long and hard!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voluntary relinquishment of parental rights [ 15 Answers ]

I have a child with my ex boyfriend we were never married and there was never given custody to either of us. I want to give my rights up on my child and for him to have all rights. How would I go about doing that?

Voluntary termination of parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just want to know how my husband can do to relinquish his parental rights over his daughter , we have been married for 7 years he recently told me he has a 1 year old daughter Its been hard for me to cope with this problem at first I tought the best thing to do was try and get visitation...

Parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is going to be three years old soon and her biological father has not been a constant in her life providing her with nothing emotionally or financially.My current partner is the only father she knows and has supported her.How can we get the biological father to sign over his rights?

Parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

I guess I didn't give enough information.my children are in Missouri.I am 38 and by now I should have ny life figured out but I don't. The reason my mother wants me to give up my rights is the fact that she has had them for the past 10 years. I gave her guardianship of them when they were 3&4 they...

WHERE do I acquire paperwork for relinquishment of parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

The biological father of my unborn child wants to voluntarily relinquish every parental right he has. My husband wants to adopt the baby. Where do I go to look for this paperwork, short of hiring a lawyer? We want this to be as simple and straight forward as possible. All of this filing and counter...

View more questions Search