Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Jan 8, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    It'll be interestiing to see what happens to this generation of chat speak/text messagers when they reach the business world.
    Heck just the idea of reading a job application
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 06:45 PM
    It is both, as some others have said - the shortcut method and poor spelling. If some would only use the spell check before they post, it would help. But that would require some thoughtful effort.

I can only imagine what the conversation would be like in meeting someone with such horrid communcation skills. Sadly, they do not even realize it most times.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Jan 10, 2007, 07:16 PM
    I told people to stop, but my reputation suffered.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2007, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosnosna
    I've found that it's better for my mental health to use their inability to communicate using an actual language to fuel my superiority complex, rather than being offended at their lack of care. :D
    Hello:

The nose knows.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Nosnosna is correct that the shorthand originated in early E-mail and Newsgroups. Primarily used as emoticons to compensate for the lack of facial expression and tone of voice that repsent the bulk of communication (the words only represent 30%). So things like a :) and a ;) or <eg> (evil grin) and LOL, ROFLMAO and others came into being.

The shorthand was expanded and refined as chatting become popularized on Compuserve and, later AOL. Then really exploded with IMs and text messaging.

But I agree that forums are not the place for it. Especially Q&A forums where we need to understand the question and askers need to understand the answer. If someone needs help it behooves them to make their question easily understandable. If someone wants to help, they should make that help intelligible.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 09:07 AM
    I find it amusing that it was brought up that txtspk is being used on job applications, essays, etc.

I worked in admissions at a university for 4 years. While an essay was not essential to admissions at the university where I was working, it would occasionally be used for borderline cases. I am, of course, speaking only of admission to the university, not of essays used for particular programs, such as English, Psychology, Nursing, etc. If I could not read the first paragraph without coming to a simple spelling or grammar mistake, including using txtspk, I would throw the essay back in the file and weigh my vote in as "Denied" (borderline students went through committee, so that it could not be said someone was denied for personal reasons). I didn't waste my time reading the rest of the essay.

I now work as an administrative secretary for a small business. As such, I am the person who passes along applications to the different departments within the company. I am not allowed to throw out applications, but I am allowed to organize them in order of those who might be good candidates. Anyone using txtspk inappropriately on their application, cover letter or resume is placed at the bottom of the stack, upside down. Essentially, that's telling my supervisor that I don't think they are intelligent enough to work at our business.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2007, 09:29 AM
    I definitely agree in turning down applicants who use txtspk on an application in in an admissions essay. But not because they aren't intelligent, but because they are lazy. They are clearly someone who will take a shortcut rather than the do the job correctly. And that is not a good impression.
    SINGLE4 Posts: 189, Reputation: 33

Jan 11, 2007, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleysb
    I agree that short hand is very common use on the internet. I use it all the time when chatting with my friends on MSN Messenger. But I personally don't think forums are the place to use them. The people that are asking for advice or are giving advice need to be comprehendible. This does not include typing a paragraph in all caps with no punctuation and using so many abbreviations, that any one who could help can't even understand. I'll admit, if I can't understand a post after reading a few times because of grammar and such, I just don't reply. So yes, there are times when this standard of writing is acceptable, but I feel more and more people are losing the skills of proper English that we learned in, what, second grade?
    Ashley, I agree with you 100%! If I can't read/understand the post then I just move on.:rolleyes:

Also, I am big into text messaging and I still use, most of the time, proper spelling when text messaging! All I know is (u=you, r=are, pp=people, lol=laugh out loud... that is about it.)
    tamed Posts: 255, Reputation: 33

Jan 11, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    It's a combination of both.

The shortcuts of "U" (you) and "r" (are) are shorthand.

The lack of punctuation and blatant misuse of homonyms (there, their, they're, your, you're, etc) is just poor grammar and spelling.
    The one that really gets to me is the use of "then" instead of "than". It bugs me every time!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Probably a combination of both. Why the heck don't people use the spell check that's provided?
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 14, 2007, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Probably a combination of both. Why the heck don't people use the spell check that's provided?
    Because its not written in txt speak lol :D
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2007, 03:48 PM
    :D I believe English is a second language for a lot of our members here at Ask Me Help Desk - possibly explains some of it.
    worthbeads Posts: 538, Reputation: 45

Jan 15, 2007, 07:23 PM
    No, it is like what Scottgem said. It's just laziness. Besides, most people (who aren't illegal immigrants) speak and write better english than some Americans.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2007, 09:19 PM
    My only problem with some of the spelling of the younger generation is that some day they will get a job and their typing shortcuts are going to be so ingrained that they will make so many mistakes in their job where typing needs to be perfect

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chinese letters spelling out ARCHER or MASTER ARCHER [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone can provide me with the correct structure and chinese letters that spell out ARCHER or MASTER ARCHER or something very close. If anything is provided please give the english translation also. Thank you :confused:

Chinese letters spelling out the name Terahare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi could anyone please help with this. I would like to know the chinese spelling of this name Terahare thanks

The spelling of words [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. Here is something that has been on my mind these last few days. I was hoping someone who knew this could be of assistance. In Canada/UK, we spell it colour. The Americans spell it color. In Canada, we spell it centre. The Americans spell it center. In Canada, we spell it...

View more questions Search