Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vaandjay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Carrier furnace (58 SXC 080) blower keeps running at times. Replace now or fix?
    We have an 18-year old Carrier Weathermaker 58 SXC 080. Twice the blower has kept running after the temperature has been reached and the flames have gone out. The house temperature goes down as the furnace blower blows cold air through the house. Turning off the thermostat does nothing to stop the problem.

I called a local HVAC person after the first time, and he was kind enough to help me over the phone. Basically, I banged in between two red wires with the butt of a screwdriver, turned the gas and electricity back on, pressed the manual reset switch, and trned on the thermostat. After the first time, I hoped it was a one-time thing due to a dirty filter (though not terribly dirty). After replacing the filter, it happened again a couple of days ago. I got the furnace to work again without problems over the weekend, but I'm starting to think that a switch may need to be replaced. Any guesses as to what's wrong/cost to fix (I'm in the Washington DC area)?

In the U.S. there's a tax credit right now for installing high-efficiency equipment (30% of the total cost to install, up to $1,500). Should I replace the furnace and A/C (also 18-20 years old) now, as well as the 19-year old hot water heater?

Thanks for your advice on these specific and general questions.

Vaandjay

P.S. If all these things should be replaced, any recommendations on where to get a home equity loan? ;)

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace: limit switch fault furnace has ignition but blower will not come on? [ 2 Answers ]

Board says it is a limit switch fault Furace goes into pre ignition, fan comes on and sometimes even the main burner ignites, but the blower will not come on... is this the blower motor or could this be a switch somewhere?

I am looking at this carrier furnace and the blower keeps running . [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced both limits and the control board.This unit does not have an IDM.Could the heatexchanger be corroded and not allowing the proper amount of heat to escape keeping the blower on in default?

Trane XB LED blinks 5 times and blower won't stop running, but no heat. [ 8 Answers ]

Problem: Trane XB LED blinks 5 times and blower won't stop running, but no heat. Any ideas what the solution is? I am thinking some kind of fan control board. I can shut off power to the whole unit, but when I power back on I get the same problem. Blower runs with no heat. The thermostat can be...

OLD Carrier heater. Replace of fix? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I have a Carrier 58G01002A gas furnace in the basement. PG&E came out and said that the Limit Switch is out and needs replacing. A friend was by and said some of the ducting was patched with an asbestos material. Should I fix the limit switch and ducting and continue using the...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.