Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

Jan 8, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Canadian Taxes
    I'm looking for some help on doing Canadian taxes. I've never done taxes in Canada myself (my dad has always done them).

I'm Canadian and last year I worked about 8 months in the US and then moved back to Canada so I guess I have to declare my US income in Canada. How do I go about doing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tman
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Tman:

Sorry, this forum is for U.S. taxes.

I recommend you search for a Canadian Tax Forum.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 8, 2007, 09:48 PM
    When I worked in the US for four months of a single year, my taxes were a pain in the arse. I had to file in both the US and in Canada. Filing in the US is relatively straightforward, as far as that goes. Keep track of your total income & tax paid, though.

Call the Canadian tax people, and find out what exchange rate you are supposed to use for the year. Multiply your foreign earnings by this number, and add it to all domestic earnings, then put the result in line 101 (Employment Income) on your T1.

Remember the tax you paid in the US? That comes into play on line 14 of schedule T1. You get a credit for a portion of the tax you paid in the US.

Okay, now comes the next part. By spending 8 months in the US, you may not even have to file in Canada. There are rules about the length of your stay in the country, and where you keep your primary residence regarding that. I'm afraid I can't help you there. Maybe when you call the taxman to ask about the exchange rate, you can ask about that as well.
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

Jan 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
    Thanks a lot Dmatos!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian with J1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am Canadian, and I possess a J1 Visa which indicates that I am a trainee. I am doing my internship for a private company in USA for four months. I have the following tax questions. Please help. I am very confused by US's complex tax system. 1. What form do I file the tax with? (I...

Canadian Immigration [ 5 Answers ]

I was a landed immigrant in Canada in 1994, but this was cut short having to return to the UK due to family circumstances. I was out of Canada for more than 180 days so was unable to return, does anyone know a way around this, have the laws changed to allow people like us to reapply successfully?...

View more questions Search