Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Dec 27, 2010, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I read your article with interest but please explain how this means we have snow fall in Australia in December because I cannot see the corralation

I think it's called ad hoc hypotheses. Basically, in order to explain anomalies in observations ( it's getting colder instead of warmer).

Depending on your philosophy (perhaps even your politics) science progresses by attempting to accommodate anomalies in observations. In other words, we simply add ad hoc explanations to the current theory. It seems to have gotten to a stage where 'Global Warming' doesn't make much sense. The consensus now is that 'Climate Change' is a better explanation as a theory.

Opposed to this view are those who say they there are too many anomalies in the old theory and simply by changing the name is really re arranging deck chairs on the Titanic; the theory is sunk.

As to how science should progress is really up to your view of science. Is one, two, three, counter examples enough to scrap the theory altogether or should we continue adding hypothesises?

I think scientists involved in this area are loathed to give up their theories without a fight. The idea seems to be that eventually a theory will becomes so cumbersome because of all the additions that eventually it will have to be scraped in favour of a different theory, thus science undergoes a revolution in this area. I think what we are witnessing at the moment is science going through this process.

Just my opinion

Tut
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 02:47 PM

science progresses by attempting to accommodate anomalies in observations
    Like Michael Mann's hockey stick graph that conveniently adjusted for the anomality of the "Medieval Warming "period ? (Mike's nature trick according the Climategate emails)

I'm seeing the logic in the solar cycle (we currently or are just coming off an extended solar minimum) hypothesis and the amt of volcanic ash in the stratosphere.

Dec 27, 2010, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Like Michael Mann's hockey stick graph that conveniently adjusted for the anomality of the "Medieval Warming "period ? (Mike's nature trick according the the Climategate emails)
    Hi Tom,

Hope you had an enjoyable Christmas.

Yes, apparently even to that extent.

Regards

Tut
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks . And yours too.

I'd say Mann's trick given it's political importance was more than adjusting for anomality.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 27, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    I think scientists involved in this area are loathed to give up their theories without a fight. The idea seems to be that eventually a theory will becomes so cumbersome because of all the additions that eventually it will have to be scraped in favour of a different theory, thus science undergoes a revolution in this area. I think what we are witnessing at the moment is science going through this process.

Just my opinion

Tut
    So you want a new theory, here's one it's called volcanic progression. In this theory weather is subject to the amount of volcanic ash in the atmosphere. In years where there is not much volcanic activity we observe a warmer cycle while in those years where there is major volcanic activity we observe a colder cycle as is presently being experienced, couple this with solar maximum and solar minimums and you get longer periods of warming and cooling and extremes. Does this have anything to do with observed concentrations of CO2? well it might since trees grow less during the colder periods and thus less CO2 is absorbed and volcanos emit SO2 a greenhouse gas as well as CO2. This may explain some of the variability in CO2 concentrations being observed
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 07:48 AM

Hello again,

When it's cold, and the scientists say it's because the world is warming, you don't believe it.

I don't know if the reason you DON'T believe it, is because you doubt SCIENCE, or because your politics says you should... When questioned earlier about it, you say that SOME science is more scientific than other science, or that SOME scientists are REAL scientists, but the climate guys are really just model makers and note takes... After all, what can you learn from modeling and taking notes??

Oh, and by the way, climate scientists (as opposed to REAL scientists) are WILLING to compromise their entire field of study, to LIE about their life's work, to become PROSTITUTES, if you will, in order to accomplish some yet unknown political objective... And not just ONE climate scientist is willing to do this - but ALL of 'em.

The right wing thinks their objective is the destruction of America as we know it - NOT the pursuit of science. I have NO idea WHY the right wing thinks that one branch of science wants to do that? I have a hard time believing that one entire field of scientific endeavor is corrupt, when OTHERS aren't. Personally, I don't even see scientists as political creatures.. You do.

But, the question I have is this: Do you doubt your personal scientist, your family physician, when HE tells you his conclusions? Why do you believe HIS science, and why do you think HIS science is different than others?

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 08:29 AM

I'll ask you the same thing . What do you think of the scientists in the "greedy corrupt" pharmaceutical industry ? What about those scientists that defended tobacco smoke ?
    You think scientists can't be bought ?
    The best answer I have to your question is that most of the top climate scientists have a vested financial interest in their hypothesis... enough so that when research doesn't match their preconceived conclusion the evidence gets ginned .
    The climategate emails already prove this is so .They involve all the leaders in the field... ALL of them .
    The climategate emails also showed there was a financial penalty to pay for being a skeptic .

Now that the truth has been exposed you see more and more skeptics who have come out and proclaimed their true views . I have given links to some prominent ones .

As for my doctor ? How do I know if a pharmaceutical detailer has influenced the diagnosis and prescription ? Do you not get 2nd opinions before major decisions are made about your health ? Or are you so trusting to think your doctor the scientist is infallible ?
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 09:54 AM
    I'll ask you the same thing . What do you think of the scientists in the "greedy corrupt" pharmaceutical industry ? What about those scientists that defended tobacco smoke ? You think scientists can't be bought ?
    Hello again, tom:

As an individual - YES! Can the ENTIRE FIELD be bought?? Are you kidding?? Al Gore has THAT much money?? Dude! The question IS ridiculous on it's face.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 10:38 AM

I did not say all of them... primarily the consensus scientists. What do you think are the chances that a skeptic is hired by the Universities that fund the research or get government grants to fund the research of proponents ?

Al Gore is not the major mover at this point. The swill that East Anglia and others passed as consensus made it into the IPCC reports and that is what is moving the consensus.
    And what the emails from East Anglia proved is that there was a concerted effort to black ball skeptics research;specifically to prevent it's publication in peer reviewed journals . That is an inconvenient and indesputable truth.
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
    Ex I don't subscribe to the majority is always right theory. Quite often the majority is misled by a small and virilent minority and I think this is where the climate change debate has taken us. Look, my position is this, climate change has been observed. What I have observed is in recent years it has been colder rather than warmer and there has been seasonal change. Could I match this with the theory that CO2 emissions are causing the climate to become warmer, not really, other factors have to be involved. What I have observed is that volcanic activity is followed by periods of cold weather, so a climate model that is just based on the volume of CO2 emissions is flawed, because there is no way to predict the level of volcanic activity. Similarly the solar cycle has an effect on world temperatures, these cycles are somewhat predictable but observations haven't been taken for long enough to be sure. More uncertainty.

So there is too much uncertainly to accept the predictions which have been shown to be flawed in a number of aspects. Is CO2 a factor? It may well be, but so are a number of other gases. What I understand is this. If we stopped all emissions of CO2 immediately there would be no change in predicted temperature rise for 100 years even though CO2 doesn't last that long. What then do we think we are achieving by lowering emissions by 5%? 15%? 25%? 50 %? So you see I'm not refuting the science, but I am refuting the conclusions drawn by some people including the scientists. Some scientists tell us we are in an interglacial warming period, should we ignore them?
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2010, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    So there is too much uncertainly to accept the predictions which have been shown to be flawed in a number of aspects.
    Hello again, clete:

I'm not a scientist. Therefore the data means something different to them, than it would to a lay person... You're free to make conclusions on it. Just don't try to convince me they're "scientific" conclusions...

If you been reading me, this discussion is totally beside the point in any case... Whether climate change is real or NOT, our shortage of oil IS real.. Yeah, yeah, yeah.. I know you deny that too.. Irrespective of HOW much we have left or not, we ARE going to run out SOME DAY... Consequently, if we wish to maintain our cushy lifestyle, we're going to have to come up with an alternative sometime or other... Yeah, yeah, yeah... I've heard you say that there is NO technology that will replace oil, so we should just WAIT till it comes along...

I say, that we HAVE the resources to solve our problem TODAY, if we have the balls to do it. We actually NEED to do it, but our politicians are so involved with their petty battles, that they're not willing to make the hard choices that will actually SAVE this country.

I've outlined them before... Solar, nuclear, geothermal, wind, the tides, and others in combination will work.. It will STOP all the money we're sending to our enemy's. It'll create millions of jobs right here in America. And, oh yeah. It'll END the climate problem IF there is one. But, it's academic...

NONE of that has ANY thing to do with science or East Anglia.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 28, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    I say, that we HAVE the resources to solve our problem TODAY, if we have the balls to do it. We actually NEED to do it, but our politicians are so involved with their petty battles, that they're not willing to make the hard choices that will actually SAVE this country.
    Ex no one denies that long term we must find alternatives, but they need to be alternatives that don't cause as many problems as they solve. So far only nuclear has demonstrated that potential, many of the others are hardly more than experiemental. You say you have an oil shortage but actually what you have is an unwillingness to exploit the resources you possess. Strategically it may be that you should keep it in the ground and buy it for the time being, even as you say; from your enemies. What history tells us is our enemy today may be our friend tomorrow. Don't make the silly mistake as was done with Japan of creating enemies.

What will save your country is to recognise that you cannot continue to squander the Earth's resources on your life style. You were once an educated nation but today you seem to be incrediably niaive and lacking in understanding with tremendous problems in looking after your own population.
    We all face the problem of the population bomb with the final solution one we don't want to contemplate
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 04:15 AM

Philology usually is a good barometer of ideology: when global warming became climate change and now is evolving to “climate chaos,” you can see a case study in deductive thinking, as symptoms are fudged to conform to a preexisting diagnosis. Circular reasoning also is characteristic: we convince the coal-devouring and nuclear-producing Chinese that there is a soon to be big (Western-subsidized) global market for wind turbines and solar panels, given the spread of Gorism among Western elites and grandees, then we frighten Americans that the Chinese will soon capture the entire “green” market that we fostered unless we … (fill in the cap and trade / green subsidy-grant blanks).
    Works and Days How Did All That Happen?

We all face the problem of the population bomb with the final solution one we don't want to contemplate
    And your Malthusian final solution is..?

You say you have an oil shortage but actually what you have is an unwillingness to exploit the resources you possess.
    Yup We are the Saudi Arabia of natural gas among other resources like coal. We have a luddite aversion to nuclear power that make no sense. ;and yes ,the use of sensible renewables have their place on a regional basis... and exploration of futuristic energy supplies need to be funded... all hands on deck..
    What will save your country is to recognise that you cannot continue to squander the Earth's resources on your life style.
    Wrong don't think country ,think global... the rest of the world wants to have the life style of developed nations... and the information age is going to require greater energy production... all hands on deck .

BTW... The Manatees in Florida are not fond of this cool weather . Evidently they are taking refuge in the heated discharges of the Florida power stations.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12087311
    It reminds me of the stories I have read about the Caribou preferring to gather near the Alaskan pipeline . In the winter it provides warmth ;in the summer ,protection from mosquitos.
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2010, 06:08 AM
    It reminds me of the stories I have read about the Caribou prefering to gather near the Alaskan pipeline . In the winter it provides warmth ;in the summer ,protection from mosquitos.
    Hello tom:

Yeah, pipelines are good for the animals.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 06:31 AM

It is... it was built tall enough so it had no disruption on migration.

Dec 29, 2010, 07:25 AM
    Hi Tom,

Interesting article:"Philology is usually a good barometer for ideology" . In which era of history?

I was also wondering that if 'climate chaos' is becoming a symptom of our society how do we 'fudge' things which are characterized as chaotic in a preexisting diagnosis.

I would also say that the statement in relation to circular reasoning has far too many ambiguous terms to be considered an example of any type of reasoning, circular or otherwise. e.g. 'Gorism' 'elites', 'green market'

Regards

Tut
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2010, 07:43 AM

Hello tom:

I read the article too... It seems the writer, like you, looks around, see's how cold it is, and concludes that global warming is a hoax.

I hafta ask, do you conclude after looking around, and seeing that things don't fall off the earth, and it looks flat, that the roundness of the planet is greatly exaggerated??

It also looks like the sun goes around the earth... What's up with that?

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 07:45 AM

Ex science proved the things you cite as fact. When science proves that cold means it's warming I'll be convinced .
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2010, 08:37 AM
    When science proves that cold means it's warming I'll be convinced .
    Hello again, tom:

Nahh, you won't.. You run your science through your religious and political filters first. You embrace ID. There is nothing more to be said.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2010, 08:56 AM

I don't " embrace " ID . I have told you plenty times that I am fully on board with the hypothesis of evolution. I do not see a conflict between the scientific hypothesis of evolution and the religious and philosophical thesis of Intelligent Design. You do because your own 'faith' tells you something else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold weather lights [ 0 Answers ]

When the weather is cold my 91 Hona Civic DX does not have dash or tail lights until it warms up (about 15-20 minutes) Any ideas. It does not happen when the outside temp is above about 40 degrees. Owned the car for 9+ years and has always done it.

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

Do heat pumps/ac cost the same price to run in heat and ac or is the cost diferant in one moad or the other

Idle Fluxuates in cold Weather [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1997 Honda Accord SE. In cold weather when I start the car, the Idle fluxuates until the car is heated. I have to run the car until the temperature comes up, then it's OK. What could this be? Thanks,, Bob

Rooster/cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

How cold of weather can a chicken or rooster withstand?

Working on cold weather [ 4 Answers ]

Hi: Even when this question is not related to aviation technical issues, I'd like to ask to any A&P mechanic who have worked in cold weather conditions (24°F-35°F aprox) outside of a hangar, about what clothes are good to keep me warm enough to handle the cold when the job is outdoors,and at the...

View more questions Search