Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 10:46 AM
    3 phase multiplier
    Greetings,

My NEC final is next Saturday and currently I am reviewing motor calculations.

My question is, when to apply the 3 phase multiplier when calculating either the Branch Circuit Conductor size or the Branch Circuit OCPD?

Second, is the 3 phase multiplier a factor in determining the Motor OCPB?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 10:56 AM
    3 phase multiplier is 1.73 for load calculations, but doe not apply to your question.

For branch circuit conductors:

430.22 Single Motor.
    (A) General. Conductors that supply a single motor used in a continuous duty application shall have an ampacity of not less than 125 percent of the motor's full-load current rating as determined by 430.6(A)(1).

Note, does not matter single or three phase.

For OCPD you need to review:

IV. Motor Branch-Circuit Short-Circuit and Ground-Fault Protection

Be sure you do not get short circuit/ground fault protection confused with overload protection.

By your question, I get there is a bit of confusion.
    '

Dec 5, 2010, 10:59 AM

Motor Calcs are a probably my worst enemy!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2010, 11:07 AM
    If you think Article 430 is confusing, try Article 440, Refrigeration.

Everything is calculated by using the tables, OTHER THAN overload protection, which uses the nameplate amps, generally speaking, of course.

This may help:

Motor Calculations Part 1: Motors and Branch-Circuit Conductors

Dec 5, 2010, 12:11 PM

TK,

Thanks for the link.

I believe that I am my worst enemy on motors. I just seem to be reading calculations into the mix that are not needed.

Refrigeration did not cause me the grief that motors did.

In fact, by comparison the range table is simple compared to my struggle with motor calcs.

One thing for sure, when it clicks in, I'll have it for life!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the Total Assests and the equity multiplier with the information given: [ 1 Answers ]

$8M Sales, 8% PM, $2M CA, $6M FA, $1M NWC, $3M LTD

The Multiplier Effect Equation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, could you please provide some perspective to this question concerning the multipler effect. For this question, assume the economy currently has a recessionary output gap and that the marginal propensity to consume is 0.8. Consider a three-sector Keynesian model in which the only...

Service panel is 120 two pole when I check phase to phase I don't get 240 [ 1 Answers ]

Service panel is 120 two pole when I check phase to phase I don't get 240

Single phase vs. 3 phase power - what makes 3 phase more efficient? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is it that makes 3 phase power more efficient? Suppose I need an air compressor for a printing shop and I can choose between a 7.5HP single phase and a 7.5HP 3 phase. Ignoring that the cost of the motor is a little less for 3 phase, why is the motor more efficient and how does...

Langrange Multiplier [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to solve this langrangean problem: TC=5xz+4xy+4yz - MAIN FUNCTION xyz=12 - CONSTRAINT FUNCTION xyz-12=0

View more questions Search