Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Princess-IMYM Posts: 239, Reputation: 6

Dec 4, 2010, 08:14 AM
    A blue screen take over
    This only started about two days ago.
    If I leave my laptop on but don't do anything with it (the first time it happened I was putting makeup on and had Itunes playing for about 15 minutes) the entire screen goes blue with this white writing telling me that, if this is the first time its happened, just turn my laptop off (meaning I have to unplug it and take out the battery because the buttons won't do anything) but if it's happened more than once I have to remove the latest program I downloaded (or something to that effect) And it's happened four times now; However I haven't downloaded any programs (that I'm aware of) since I got my laptop back from the shop in September, I checked on my 'add or remove programs' thing.
    I've downloaded some games (legally, I paid for them and they're from the real sites) but I don't think they'd make a difference would they?
    My Microsoft word keeps telling me the one I have isn't genuine; but it's done that for months and I'm not bothered about that, but I decided I'd see what the fuss was about and clicked the "click here to learn more" bar and it took me to a site to make me pay £100 for the real thing. I closed the page and ignored it from then but could something have gotten through? I'm not saying I think it was a scam but I wonder if that had something to do with it, since the blue thing started the day after I did that.
    I'm at a loss. What should I do?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2010, 01:06 PM
    Next time the laptop blue-screens, write down what the error is. Don't worry about all the garbage about tips and stuff, but it should give you some file name that caused the error or some name for the error.

Some examples: filename.sys caused an error

0x000007

PAGE_FAULT

Things like the above are things you will want to write down and post back here with. Also, try holding the power button down for about 10 seconds. That should forcefully power off the laptop.

---

What's the make and model of the laptop?
    Make sure you are running Windows updates and that everything is up-to-date.
    What do you have for anti-virus and anti-spyware? Update and scan.
    Update your drivers (once you know the make and model, you can go to the manufacturer's website and usually get the latest drivers there, otherwise we can help you further once we have that information).
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 4, 2010, 03:20 PM

Have there been any changes to the laptop? Updates, program/software installs, hardware changes, has it been dropped etc..
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Dec 4, 2010, 03:44 PM

As well as corrupted drivers, over-heating is a possible cause of bluescreen. Have you noticed whether the fan is working excessively hard, or at all, or noticed any hotspots?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blue Screen [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Guys.. This is my first post in this site . And I hope to keep helping and getting help from the others. A lot of times when I start using my PC specially when I play some games like war craft frozen throne.. suddenly the system crash and blue screen appear... I don`t know why! My PC is...

Blue screen [ 1 Answers ]

Sherryj- I have had a very very similar problem to yours. As soon as I opened the box to my computer it would not start. In face it took me sever start up / shut downs to even get to the blue screen, and then after I got to the blue screen I would restart the computer one more time and then it...

View more questions Search