Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carndrvr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Refrigerator water not working
    I have a GE side by side refrigerator (not sure what model) it is about 7 years old. The water in door is not working. The ice maker is working fine, but no water.. what could be the problem? Thanks
    clouded Posts: 31, Reputation: 3
    -

Jan 8, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Is stuff in your refrigerator almost frozen? I had the water stop[ in our new whirpool. It turns out they coiled the hose to cool the water, but if your fridge is to cold it will freeze in the lines.

Solution: turn your fridge down.
    Rocker452 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 09:56 PM
    It could also be the valve. There is actually two of them but they are one unit and one is possibly bad. The only way to check it is with an ohm meter. The valve will have two coils on it one goes to the water in the door the other to the ice maker. Determine which is the door water and ohm out that coil if it shows resistance its good.
    SkipA Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 07:08 AM
    I have the same problem. The frig and freezer temp are OK. Water comes out of the hose going to the door, but not out the spicket on the door. It must be either a plugged hose in the door or a solenoid in the door. But it looks like the door is sealed. Is there any way to get inside the door?
    Rocker452 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2008, 09:29 AM
    More than likely the hose going up the door is frozen. Getting to it to thaw it out is quite involved but can be done. Usually if they freeze it is where it comes into the dispenser. Some fridges use a heater over the line at this point and it could be out. Look inside the door where the dispenser is and there should be an access panel you can remove to access it, it will either be held in place with screws or will snap in place. If you can't see a panel then you will have to take the door liner off, this is where it gets involved. If you need more info let me know what kind of fridge it is and about how old it is and I'll see what I can do.
    bustedfrige Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2010, 05:23 AM

This is a common problem with GE refrigerators. My waterline froze as well so I purchased the $30 part and fixed it in 15 minutes. I noticed a lot of people having the same issue so I detailed the symptoms, part and fix on my blog. Read about it here

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Water at Refrigerator Water line? [ 60 Answers ]

We recently moved into a 10 year old home and purchased a new refrigerator with a water filter and ice maker, only to find that when we hooked it up to the single water line behind the fridge, it dispenses hot water. I don't think the line has been used before now and was wondering if anyone has...

Water in refrigerator [ 1 Answers ]

You have answered this question for several models. Can you tell me how to inspect, clean whatever the freezer drain on magic chef refrigerator model # cbt2123AR Thanks.

GE Refrigerator water dispenser intermittently working [ 229 Answers ]

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator with a ice maker and water dispenser. In the last 3-4 months the water dispenser shuts off intermittently, but comes back to life on its own. I have changed the water filter as well as cleaned the water line, but haven't been able to identify the problem. The...

Refrigerator not working well. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GE refrigerator, and the fresh food section acts like a storage area and the freezer acts like a refrigerator. Any help?

Amana Refrigerator -Water and ICE not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a old AMANA side by side fridge. Its front water dispenser and ICE making process has stopped. I replaced filter but no luck. When I open filter there is vacume like suction inside and when I put it back water dispenser works for couple times and stops again. ICE is not working all the time....

View more questions Search