Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Wanting to buy a horse, but only have a little experience
    My dad is buying an acreage next summer, and my friend and I are wanting to get 2 horses. I have a little experience, I did a year of 4-h, went to a horse camp, and my dads friend owns horses which I was around quiet often when I lived at my dads. I know there basic care (feeding, medical, grooming) but how bad would it be to go into this with only basic knowledge (some will be research). If anyone on here could help me with ALL aspects of this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 03:26 PM

Owning a horse can be VERY expensive. First, the horse itself will cost money to buy. The food (hay and oats) alone can put you in debt. Plus, you will need tack and regular vet care, farrier care, someone to muck out the stalls on a regular basis, refill and clean water troughs and feed buckets regularly, check the pastures for harmful weeds and grasses and also for broken fences, etc. What if the horse has problems with carrying a rider, spooks easily, etc. What if he has an emergency medical problem? And if you can't keep up with it all, what will you do with the horse(s)? (People are turning their horses loose in forest preserves or just leaving them tied up in their stalls to starve to death.)

Here's a site that lists many of the responsibilities:

Basic Horse Care - Basic Daily, Weekly, Monthly and Yearly Horse and Pony Care

Here's a site that lists costs:

http://www.petplace.com/horses/what-...rse/page1.aspx
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2010, 03:38 PM

All the "dirty work" has to be done by us (mucking stalls, checking fences, filling troughs, and feeding them) my dad has offered to help out with some cost (I don't think we'll need it) but we both work full time and really have nothing to spend our money on (we both have pets so that's #1). It's not the financial part I'm worried about, it's being able to give the horse a good home.

Also, I'd NEVER let my horse go free or let it starve to death, I'd go to the end of the earth and back to get it what it needs!

Thank you for the links!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    it's being able to give the horse a good home.
    Do you have any horse rescue farms near you? There are two near me that I help support. After they've rehabbed rescued horses, they check them out for all sorts of problems for future care and riding. The new owner gets all this information, plus is forever connected with the horse rescue people if there are questions that arise over the horse's behavior or needs.

Be sure to read up on caring for a horse -- and go to the public library for books (even better than the Internet information). Also, find experienced horse people in your area, so you can question them if need be. Please go into this with eyes wide open.
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2010, 03:58 PM

Sadly we have nowhere around here who rescues horses. I'll be talking to people here, and from what I've gathered there is a "horse group" in my area so I'm going to try and contact them for more help. The more I know the better my disicion can be.

I don't know if you could answer these questions, but is there an age group I should be looking for when getting a horse? Is a mare or gelding better?

My price range for the horse itself is $1500, which there are tons in that price range.. But I don't really know how to choose one...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 04:56 PM

Mare or gelding? I'd buy a gelding, but especially important is the horse's disposition. Here's a site:

Training ~ Buying a Horse

The site mentions taking a horse-y person with you when you are considering buying a horse. This is a very good idea. When a male friend wanted to join a karate school, we went to several to look them over. He noticed the teaching style and student-teacher interactions; I noticed how clean the place was and how pleasant (or unpleasant) the staff and teachers were. We compared notes after each visit and were amazed what we came up with. Same with horses.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 06:32 PM

Emily, I think you have enough issues with the animals already in your care. Horses need a lot of attention, and they're a lot of work. You already have a house full of animals, all with aggression issues, probably because of lack of attention. You work full time, and horses are a full time job.

I think it's time to stop purchasing new pets and concentrate on the ones already in your care.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 06:36 PM

Now that you've pulled all the aggressive-pet posts into one thread so we can see the entire story, I agree, Alty. The last thing Emily needs is an aggressive horse or two. Yes, she needs to concentrate on and rehab the pets she has already and not add more to the mix.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 06:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    have nothing to spend our money on
    Why do you feel the need to spend your money? In this tough financial time you should be saving your money for emergencies.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 07:18 PM

Emily, I am worried that you may be collecting. You have a house full of pets that you can spend your money on. I am seriously concerned about hoarding issues.
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 07:28 PM

I'n with you on that Bella. I think we're all thinking about it. If you look at her puppy aggressive thread, I posted a lot of her threads, all about buying animals, animals with aggressions issues, etc. etc. I didn't post all her threads, there's more.

Emily, we want to help. It seems that you're buying animals to fill a void, and you can get help for this. There are many people that have the same issue I believe you're dealing with.

I hope you come back and talk about this, and I hope you understand why I posted that post of links to your threads. I think it's time to nip this behavior in the bud. There are many people here that want to help, and can help. Take the help that's being offered. Stop buying pets. Let's deal with what you have now, and deal with helping you to get over this pet purchasing.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 07:38 PM

Yes, Emily, you have been on this site for a long time now. We are your friends, we want to help. I know you visit other forums on AMHD, you know you have one of the best websites out there for support and help. Don't shut us out, talk to us, tell us what's going on. I've read some of your other threads, I know you are having a hard time dealing with self esteem issues. Just know we are here for you.
    Pets Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 07:48 PM

Well said Bella. I have to spread the love.

I think many of us are thinking about this, and recognize it for what it is. Hoarding. Collecting.

There's help, and we're here to offer it.

I really hope that Emily takes advantage of that. You have the best website at your disposal. You have people that care, and are willing to help. You have people that know how to help.

Take the helping hand that's being offered and grab on.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2010, 06:33 AM

We had a horse years ago... well technically he was my mums horse.
    He was an ex pacer, not fast enough so he was sold.

As he got on in years he was a lot of work.
    Driving across town twice a day to take off and put back on his rug for overnight.
    Feeding, vet bills (his teeth were almost gone they had worn so much) farrier... wow they are expensive.
    Mum was lucky to get cheap agistment, the paddocks weren't very green though so extra chaff was needed and it had to be hand-fed or the other horses agisted there would steal it from him.

I have had the experience of caring for a horse and that alone was too much for me, my mum covered all the billsl... I think I would have run away screaming if I had to do it all on my own.
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2010, 08:59 AM

Sorry I haven't been back, my email went down.

I just read all your posts and at the moment I have 2 dogs, 2 ferrets, and a tank full of fish. I spend plenty of time with my animals, I find time to take my dogs for an hour walk a day, we try to go to the dog park 3 times a week but with dukes aggression we only go when there is a small number of dogs because he isn't aggressive if there are 3-4 dogs, my ferrets get out of there cage for 3-4 hours a day to run around the house and play. All my animals (including the ferrets) have all there shots and have been/will be neutered/spayed at 6-8 months, duke attended obedience classes and hunter will be soon. Personally I think I'm a responsible pet owner not a hoarder.

I'll explain the statement about money. I work 5-6 shifts a week there usually 6-8 hours (2 on the weekend and 3-4 during the week) my pay checks range from $250- $450 plus commission. Personally I think that's a lot of money for a 16 year old, most months I make $1500 dollars (I make a lot of commision). Now, I have a car, I have more clothes than the clothing store down the street, and there's really nothing I need. I love animals, I have a stable home, the money to raise them, and usually someone is always home with them, it might not be me but someone (and they don't mind being with the animals). I don't see why I can't offer them a home?

Now I know your going to ask so..

The guinea pigs I once had- my cousin fell in love with them, and after her guinea pig died of renal failure I gave her mine (she was extremely happy).

The mice my friend wanted, she wasn't allowed cats or dogs and opted for a mouse, none of the petstore ones were friendly and she wanted tame ones, so she asked if she could have mine. I said if she really wanted them she could.

Again, I don't think I'm a hoarder or a collector, but since you guys don't see the full story I could see why you'd think that.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 12:49 PM

Thanks for explaining Emily. We were just concerned for you is all. We will be here to answer any questions or offer our help in any way we can.

I know y9ou love your animals, we can see it with the way you write about them. You even speak highly of your fish. Thanks for clearing all that stuff up for us.

Just remember horses are very expensive and A LOT of work. Waking up 2 hours earlier EVERY morning to clean stables, feed and groom your horses, the cost of food alone is enough to make me run for the hills! Here is an article I pulled up on the cost of a horse per day.

One half bale of hay $1.50 per day
    Six month supply of loose mineral supplement $25.00 or 0.07 per day
    Salt block $14.00 or $0.04 per day
    Two two cup servings of inexpensive concentrate per day $1.00
    Farrier every six week at $25 per trim or $0.60 day
    Dewormer every 3 months $0.20 per day
    Dentistry once a year at $75 or $0.20 per day
    Annual basic vaccinations of rabies, tetanus, equine influenza, and other routine vaccines at $95.00 or $0.27 per day
    Minimum cost per day to keep one horse $3.88 per day or 1416.20 per year.

The costs quickly increase with:

feeding more expensive concentrates or supplements.
    immunizing for other diseases such as West Nile Virus.
    a horse that requires shoes.
    competing with your horse.
    a horse that is ill or injured.
    breeding your horse to produce a foal.
    Rapidly rising fuel prices.
    your normally good pasture is hit with drought or the price of feed is driven up by bad weather or other circumstances.
    Boarding a horse can cost anywhere from $100 per month for pasture board, with no inside stabling to over $500 per month in barns with stalls, individual turn-out, arenas and other amenities close to urban areas. You will also pay for extras such as farrier and veterinary care, special feeds or care such as removing and putting on blankets and fly masks. In self care facilities the monthly board is less expensive but you will supply your own feed and bedding and travel to care for your horse daily.

Basic Horse Care Costs - The Costs of Basic Horse Care - Cost of Horse Care

This one here breaks it down on an annual basis, but is only for one horse:

Horsekeeping Costs Per Horse
    FEED
    Hay (20 lb./day x 365 days = 7300 lb. or 3.65 tons x $120 per ton = $438.00
    Grain (4 lb./day x 365 days = 1460 # x .20/lb.) = 292.00

BEDDING
    Bedding (1 bag/wk. X $5/bag) = $260.00

VETERINARY SUPPLIES AND CARE
    Immunizations = $60.00
    Deworming 6 times per year x $10 = $60.00
    Dental and Misc. Vet Maintenance = $100.00
    Farm call charges = $75.00

FARRIER
    Shoeing 6 times at $80 = $480.00
    Trimming 3 times at $25 = $75.00

TOTAL $1840.00

Cost of Keeping a Horse by Cherry Hill
    Pets Expert

Dec 5, 2010, 10:04 PM

I have to ask. What happened to the 2 rabbits, the hedgehog and the kitten?
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2010, 05:08 AM

The hedgehog and kitten went with my sister when she moved out, and the bunnies are with my brother.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2010, 01:00 AM

I wish I were in Your shoes. I grew up with horses and ponies, before the cost was so high. Of course, Mom paid for everything.

Cats are different than dogs, are different than ferrets, are different from bunnies. Horses are the best though.

Get a gelding. Mares are sweet but when they go into heat, OMG. The word *****y doesn't even begin to describe two of my mares when they were in heat. A gelding doesn't cycle, his mood is usually pretty stable.

I think it's best to choose your horse without looking at it. If you are wanting a certain horse because it looks a certain way, it's easy to pick the wrong one. Close your eyes and smell, stand close, feel and when you find a horse that really likes you, that's the one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have a 1925 Borin photo of an indian on a horse, wanting any info on picture [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1925 Borin photo of an indian on a horse holding a spear. Does anyone have any information on this photo?

Should I still buy a horse if it didn't pass the vet check. [ 6 Answers ]

I found a sutible horse but when the fetlock was vet checked it wasn't felixable enough and after the third time of checking it became lame.

TN Status Wanting to Buy a Home [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on a TN Status. My boyfriend and I found a great home and it is extremely affordable. Will owning property in the US effect my status in any way? Even when I go to re-aply? Also, what are the tax implications of owning property in the states but being from Canada? Would I be...

Wanting to buy an abandoned house in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help as I seem not to be finding out much info on this. Short story, there's a house by my boyfriend (he lives in north bergen) that's been abandoned for at least 4 or 5 years, and I have been trying to look up info about it (to buy if I can) but all I can...

Wanting to buy a car [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I had to file bankrup this year, at one time I had every every good credit, but when you have a teenage that needs a car, but don't tell you that they came and got it. Tends to upsets your life, lol, but anyway I want to buy a car to rebuild my credit, and I did find one that I want,...

View more questions Search