Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dc4444 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2010, 10:49 AM
    California divorce child of spouse
    My son and his wife seek a divorce, and they are both amicable and cooperating with each other. She had a child by another man during her marriage to my son. They have been advised by another relative that the divorce will go much more quickly if they wait to establish the paternity of the biological father until after the divorce. All three have resided in California for the past 8 months, but the child was born while they were all living in Virginia 16 months ago.

How does my son answer the question posed on forms to be filed, "Do you have any children of this relationship under the age of 18?" The child was conceived and born while they were married, but since the child is not my son's, he thinks the child may be regarded as NOT of the relationship, which would lead to an answer of "no" to the question.

Both my son and his wife are in full agreement that she is to obtain full custody of the child, and that my son is to have no future obligation of any kind to either her or the child after the divorce.

cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 03:03 PM

He must answer yes. Right now he is the presumed father of the child. Is the other person going to come forth to challenge this? It has to be decided BEFORE the divorce can take place.

He also is looking at paying child support for this child until it is resolved.
    foreverh Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

Dec 18, 2010, 07:06 PM
    Even if this is resolved... If the biological father will not submit to a paternity test? The court in CA could hold your son legally responsible for the child.

It is how it is right now for my husband. He did not have any of his own children with his ex-wife, but because he supported her child willingly as his step-father and took on the roll as the 'father figure' the court ordered him to pay child support. Only if the biological father would step up to a DNA test, would he ever be allowed to stop paying.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 18, 2010, 07:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dc4444 View Post
    Both my son and his wife are in full agreement that she is to obtain full custody of the child, and that my son is to have no future obligation of any kind to either her or the child after the divorce.
    It doesn't matter what your son and his wife agree to, its what the law allows. Your son is the legal father according to both VA and Ca law. I believe CA law has a 2 yr window in which paternity can be challenged. So I would get paternity established BEFORE the divorce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

REport abandonment of spouse in California [ 2 Answers ]

What to do if spouse owns business have no other debts but his room and food gas for his vehicle, he does not give me any money, he left me to live in a homeless shelter while he was in a house.

Getting divorce from US spouse before green card interview and have child [ 1 Answers ]

A relative of mine entered the US for studying but after a few years, he didn't complete his studies and became illegal. One day he was arrested and about to be deported but when bailed out he married a girl he knew before. He was serious about his marriage and they had a child but when the child...

E-Filing California State return without spouse ITIN ? [ 2 Answers ]

I am applying for wife's ITIN number(not eligible for SSN) with this year federal return i.e.submitting Federal tax return along with W7 through mail. For State tax return, Can I submit California State return online(e-file) without wife's ITIN number? Looking forward to your replies...

Divorce in California [ 1 Answers ]

How does the no-fault divorce law apply to desertion by one party over four years ago? Have had no contact with husband who lives in austria for over four years. No address or telephone number for him. There are no children or property and no alimony is sought.

View more questions Search