Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    differ_gal88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2010, 12:40 AM
    How to cope with my mum's death?
    I just lost my mum few months ago. She passed away due to liver cancer. I am currently in my final year in university. I didn't know how to cope with her sudden death. I become very bad tempered and cry very easily whenever I am stress since she's the only person whom I share my feelings with. She has become my best friend and I miss her dearly. Others including my other family members and friends doesn't know how I feel and they expect me to be strong. Before my mum's death, I was a happy and patient person who tend to bottle up my feelings. Therefore, it's hard for me to open up to others and tell them how I actually feel as I feel that they don't understand me. Please help.
    stinaann Posts: 20, Reputation: 9

Dec 3, 2010, 11:16 AM

I can completely relate to you. I'm still in high school and I've lost both my mom and dad. My mom more recently then my father. It's very very hard to deal with it, I admit. My moms been gone for only four years and I still haven't completely overcame the pain of losing her. It will continue to get harder as you stress. Its all a matter of time, God's guidance and having someone there for you.( just so you know, I am here for you.) You really need to remember the best things about your mom, try to think less of the bad. Remember that God has taken her from you to make you stronger, don't let it break you down.I'm not saying don't cry, or get frustrated that she isn't there, just don't let the devil take you over. You can be strong, and I'm sure your mother is very proud of you!! Hang in there.

-Christina<3
    Mini_Her Posts: 145, Reputation: 4

Dec 3, 2010, 06:02 PM

I agree. My mother died years ago (NINE WHOLE YEARS AGO) and it still hurts SO BADLY! I really thought that time would have made me stronger but when it's a parent's death... the pain never goes away.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 06:09 PM

It doesn't get any better when you're over 50. I lost my dad 16 years ago. Each day, I wish he were still around to answer my questions and to debate religion with.

Time helps, but a child never gets over a parent's death.
    TheNanman Posts: 13, Reputation: 6

Dec 16, 2010, 08:47 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you OP. Sad to say, my mother died November 13. Was in the hospital for lung cancer which was a huge shock, as she never smoked but was around smokers. Surgery went well, removed the mass, post biopsy looked great. Visited her constantly. Friday night I told her goodbye, everything's going to be OK and I'll see her tomorrow. Saturday morning I get 5 calls at 6:38AM. I missed 4 of them due to it being so early. Finally got up to answer one, it's the hospital informing me my mother had passed away. At first I didn't really believe it, but once it sunk in on the way there, I lost it. Having to see her in the hospital, laying there motionless was the hardest thing I'll ever have to deal with I believe.

Anyway, back on point. I'm going through the same things. Some days, I'm just pissed off. And like you, I'm not close to my extended family. I was very close with my mom, and my grandma and that's it. Now my family has helped me out a lot, and I appreciate it very much, but it's tough for me to spill my guts to them.

But the people above are correct. I don't think it will ever be completely better. It will always hurt, especially if your parent(s) die young from ailments or illnesses, not natural causes.

My best advice, is to get back into your routine. It's going to hurt, because it's going to feel like "I can't just go on with my life, the world should stop just like I want it to, to recognize this amazing person is no longer with us". But it helps. When I'm at work, I don't think about it as much, same with being around friends, or just taking part in my hobbies.

I wish you the best of luck, I'm sorry to hear your loss, and know that you're never alone in your situation. Others are always right there with you.
    Johnte Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
    I am so sorry to hear about your mum. I lost my mum a week ago today and the pain is nothing like you think it would be. It hurts so much. I am 48 and my mum was 86, I thought I would have her forever but when does forever end?

I know what you are going through as my mum was my world, I have her photo in my kitchen and as of yet I have spoken to her every day since she passed, this is helping me, I know that she can hear me. Some people my say that is no so but it's what I believe and not what others do. Your mum was your world, remember her YOUR way and grieve in the way you want to. Make a promise to your mum, do something that would make her proud of you.

Your must remember to do what you feel is the best way to remember your mum. They are all special and they mean the world to us.

I will be doing a speech at mums funeral on Monday and it will be a day to remember, I said I would make her proud of me and that's what I will do.

Good luck and I wish you all the happiness your mum have wanted for you

Take care

Joint
    X
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Mar 17, 2011, 03:39 PM

I lost my mom 9 years ago (when I was 15) to her 7 year struggle with breast cancer. I too, used to bottle up my emotions. The only was I have found to deal with it is cry when you feel like crying. Don't try to hide it or pretend to be strong even though that's what family may tell you. I didn't cry at my mother's funeral because I thought I had to be strong around everyone. As soon as everyone's back was turned I cried my eyes out. Only then did I feel some sort of relief from the pain. Now, 9 years later, I still cry on her birthday and the day she died. I still see her aorund corners early in the morning and I still dream of her at night. It doesn't ever go away (the pain) but it does diminish over time. You'll find you're crying less and that you realize you CAN make it without her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't cope with the recent death of my 25 yr old son [ 7 Answers ]

My 25 yr old son recently passed away from (what we suspect) will prove to be an unintentional drug overdose. He battled substance abuse his entire short life and the pain of losing him is simply unbearable to both myself and my wife. I never before believed in "communicating with the dead"......

How to cope death of your boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

It's about my b.f who just past away for about a mnth ago.I,m so hurt,I can't get on.I,m like I'm dying.I don't know what to do right now.. What hurts me so much is that I was not able to communicate him for a mnth before his death.. Before we live togethere but then I realize to continue my...

How do my boyfriend and I cope with his mothers death? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay so I have been dating this guy for the past 3months and were still in high school and his mom just past away on October 15, 2009. &&i was at the hospital with him and everything. He cried in my arms and I didn't know what to do. This has never happened to me before. &&i knew his mom but we...

How Do I Cope With A Tragic Death? [ 2 Answers ]

Kind of a long story but I'll try to summarize it the best I can. Thanks in advance for any advice given. Ok, so 10 months ago I lost my mother to cancer and kidney failure. We were extremely close. She died holding my hand. That hit me hard and at that point I was taking anti depressants to...

Can't cope with the death of my boyfriend. [ 19 Answers ]

It has been four days since I lost the love of my life. I loved him dearly and he knows that. But his death is a shock to me because I never expected him to be gone so soon and suddenly. Ever since I received the news my heart is torn apart and all I do is cry and I won't stop crying. His death...

View more questions Search