Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Dec 2, 2010, 06:52 AM
    Am I getting my T-1's full capabilities?
    We currently have a T-1 running to our DR site and the only thing utilizing this is our replication from our backup ARCA to our ARCA vault.

The servers are set to use 100% of the T-1. The image below is a look at the replication process and I was wondering if I was getting the full 1.5MB?

Shouldn't this say 1.5MB or equivalent Mbps?
    Attached Images

cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Dec 2, 2010, 08:06 PM
    Rick,

When troubleshooting bandwidth issues it is best to start from the ground up. Looking at the application (looks like Breakthrough) you're not getting the full picture. There is overhead involved and the problem could be with the application as well.

So you might want to start with something that checks line performance of the T-1. There are many apps out there but my preferred apps for checking line characteristics (bandwidth, latency, jitter, etc) are ttcp and iperf. Both require that you have a sender and a receiver on either end of the connection.

Do you have access to the routers on both ends of the connection that you can perhaps run some basic diagnostics on for things like errors or retransmits?
    Networking Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 08:33 AM

Yes I have access to routers on both ends!

Dec 3, 2010, 09:29 AM
    What kind of routers are they? Cisco?
    Networking Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 01:44 PM

Is there a reason you assumed Cisco??

:) No they are Netgear!

Dec 3, 2010, 02:38 PM
    I know Cisco very well and was going to suggest some specific things to look for. But it doesn't matter so long as you can look for things that would indicate a potential problem. For instance, look for these:

Errors (Input & Output):
    - CRC
    - Frame
    - Overruns
    - Underruns
    - Ignored
    - Giants
    - throttles
    - Excessive lost carrier signal
    - interface resets
    - buffer failures

There may be other counters on the netgear as well to look for. If you don't see any errors then that's good. If you do see errors it doesn't necessarily mean you have problems. These errors could have been recorded a while back. You may want to reset the counters and watch them again.

Also look for interface input and output rate (either bits per second or packets per second). During your transfer of data see if you're actually maxing out the line on the router by monitoring it concurrently.

Since you have access to both ends then during an off time you might want to setup a system with ttcp and/or iperf and run them while no other traffic is present. These should be able to tell you if your line is capable of running 1.5Mbps. Test with UDP traffic in each direction independently and then concurrently.

What is the model of your router (I can do some digging on specifics to look for).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a laptop with wifi capabilities [ 2 Answers ]

Also a hometop computer with highspeed with comcast how do I get wireless internet...

My breasts are tiny and I need a bra without using the stringy 1's which look gay [ 5 Answers ]

My breasts are still tiny but I feel like I need to wear a bra because otherwise it looks weird if I have 1 of those string bras in my t-shirt all you see is 2 odd points which looks gay but the smallest bra is a bit big for me

Computer capabilities [ 4 Answers ]

Can you enumerate the computer capabilities?

NewCo startup - hiring h-1's [ 3 Answers ]

I am investigating the possibility of starting a new technology consulting firm and want to be able to hire workers from India currently in the US on H-1 visa or Green Card. While the company would be located in MN, the consultants would be able to work/live in any state in the US. I want to...

View more questions Search