Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brp6655 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 01:11 PM
    I was ordered to pay attorney's fees in a small claims case . I cannot pay. Any solu
    I was the Plaintiff in a small claims case. The judge ruled for the defense. There are no monetary awards except I am ordered to pay the Defendants attorney's fees. I cannot pay as I am on social security. What can I do, if anything?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 01:26 PM

Please clarify - attorneys aren't used used in small claims court, so why are there attorney fees here?

Being on social security is not an excuse for failing to pay a judgment. If you don't pay be prepared to have your bank account garnished.

Dec 1, 2010, 01:44 PM

In Lee County, Florida, you can have an attorney in small claims. I thought the case would be so strong and in my favor that I could handle it without an attorney. The defendant obviously did not feel good about his defense and hired an attorney. Obviously the judge did not like me as serving pro se as opposed to the defendant. He ruled against me on every motion, objection and almost all evidence. If this is a good old boys network, I would probably be wasting my time on an appeal if I could even get it pro-bono.

The social security comment is basically saying I am judgement proof. No assets and they cannot attach social security so the attorney will be wasting his time trying to collect.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brp6655 View Post
    In Lee County, Florida, you can have an attorney in small claims.
    Interesting - I wasn't aware of that. Seems antithetical to the concept of small claims court.

The social security comment is basically saying I am judgement proof. No assets and they cannot attach social security so the attorney will be wasting his time trying to collect.
    Yes, but be aware that if you have your SS checks deposited in your checking account they will likely try to garnish it, and then the onus is on you to prove that the only source of funds in the account is your SS. In the mean time your account may be frozen - at least for a few days.

Dec 1, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Interesting - I wasn't aware of that. Seems antithetical to the concept of small claims court.

Yes, but be aware that if you have your SS checks deposited in your checking account they will likely try to garnish it, and then the onus is on you to prove that the only source of funds in the account is your SS. In the mean time your account may be frozen - at least for a few days.
    I agree, I thought small claims was attorney free. Welcome to Florida and the good old boys network.
    Thanks for the tip about SS checks. That will be easy to prove but inconvenient to have the account frozen for a few days but it will be worth it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 06:40 PM

There are some areas that do allow, but judges will rule on motions and evidence according to laws and rules of evidence, if they did not, that allows you an appeal..

In court, one side with an attorney has a real advantage, since they can word things in ways, that if youu don't know, can't defend against them

Dec 2, 2010, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    There are some areas that do allow, but judges will rule on motions and evidence according to laws and rules of evidence, if they did not, that allows you an appeal..

In court, one side with an attorney has a real advantage, since they can word things in ways, that if youu don't know, can't defend against them
    Fr_Chuck;2618692, thank you for your comment. You are correct in your statement that one side with an attorney has a real advantage. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way. I am having the Lee County Bar Association checking in to my case and seeing if they can get an Appellate Attorney to view this on a pro-bono basis. I feel the jucge made many errors in my case since the other side had an attorney and he seemed to lose patience with me. He ruled against every motion,every objection and most evidence I submitted. In addition, he never had me sworn in as a witness. None of this may mean anything but if I can get an Appellate Attorney to review, at least I will have an answer.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
    ... In addition, he never had me sworn in as a witness. ...
    Did the judge say he didn't believe what you said? If not, it is probably harmless error.

Dec 3, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Did the judge say he didn't believe what you said? If not, it is probably harmless error.
    The judge never said he did not believe me. He just gave me this evil stare and said nothing. I have been in courtrooms in 5 different states and this judge ranks as the worse. You could barley hear him. When I askede him to please repeat an answer, he replied in a lower voice. Even th3e defense attorney had hearing problems with him.

In any case, the Lee County Bar Association is placing me in touch with an Appellate Attorney who will give me a free 30 minuite consultation. Hopefully he can advise me accordingly.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I pay off a small claims judgement then discover new evidence to overturn the judg [ 4 Answers ]

An ex tenant of my mother's sued her & myself for damages in small claims court that never happened but my mother died without ever knowing this was taking place because she was in the ICU of a hospital. I won my side of the case but because of the horrific type of death my mother suffered my...

Never ordered to pay child support can you get back pay [ 9 Answers ]

I have a soon to be 13 year old daughter. Her father has only seen her maybe 5 times her whole life. He has never been court ordered to pay child support but we did have a paternity test done when she about 1 year old. But he wouldn't stay in one place or keep a job long enough to get a support...

If found guilty in a small claims court can your pay be garnished [ 2 Answers ]

I want to file suit in small claims court, but can the guilty party be garnished for payment?

How to pursue small claims judgement against a landlord who refuse to pay [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I need help to pursue a landlord I won a judgement on. I recently sued a landlord who rented me a house that was infested with mold. I won the case and now the landlord won't pay up. The landlord is a real estate broker with her own real estate company. I want to know if I can...

View more questions Search