Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hoodoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Troubleshooting submersible pump problem
    Hello! I am having a little trouble with a submersible pump. It pressures up to 28 pounds (it should pressure to 50 pounds) and then it just sets there. Can't seem to get any more pressure but the switch doesn't seem to be doing anything after it reaches the 28 pounds. I have watched it and I can't see that it is shutting off once it reaches 28 pounds but it does hold that pressure unless you open a valve in the house. I was wondering if it could be a leak in the bladder of the pressure tank causing this although as I said I can't see that the switch is actually shuting off.. The pump is way down in the well so all I have to go by is the pressure valve and it doesn't indicated that the pump is shutting off.

I thank you for your time and information

Hoodoo
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2007, 05:01 AM
    It really sounds to me like a worn impeller in the pump, but that wouldn't have happened all the sudden. Usually there is vibration in the pipe when the pump is running. Does it continue after reaching the 28 psi? You have noticed reduced water flow, not just a faulty gage? The one thing I can think of is a cracked pipe, that allows more water out as the pressure goes up, with the leak matching the pump at 28 psi. Bad news if it is in the well and the pipe supporting the pump breaks clear off.

I don't think it is the pressure tank. A bad bladder allows the air to escape giving short cycles, but the pump continues to reach full pressure.
    mgoody Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Sorry, but I don't think you have any option but to lift the pimp from the well in order to discover what might be wrong with it. As already stated by Labman, the condition of the pressure tank/bladder does not affect the pump's ability to generate pressure. Some possible reasons for your problems are: sand etc. partially blocking the pump inlet, worn impellers caused by sand abrasion, air lock due to excessive draw down of the well water level - this could result in the pump failing to reach its cut out pressure, and if the impellers and diffusers etc. are made of plastic they could have suffered heat damage and permanent loss of performance. Good luck!
    Hoodoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 08:55 PM
    I sure appreciate you answering my question. And yes there has been a reduction of water flow. I was hoping that maybe it could have been the pressure tank... would have been a little easier to cure... More investigation into the pump and line. Thanks again...

Hoodoo
    jsglass80 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 12:21 PM
    We installed new pump and relay we've checked all lines for leaks you can turn main breaker on to well pump turn on alll faucets lots air then followed by sudden rush of water which then after a few minutes slows to nothing please help me if you can

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get the old submersible pump out? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I asked the submersible pump question a while ago and speedball1 helped me a lot. I have additional question now. I have located the well. Can you tell me the steps to pull the pump out? Is it doable for an layman like me? I am pretty comfortable to explorer things but would like to...

Pump Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Private Message: Re: Are you busy Today, 10:50 AM Untamedhawk New Member Join Date: Oct 2006 Posts: 0 Re: Are you busy --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pump Problem [ 10 Answers ]

Dcobb New member join date: jun 2006 Posts: 0 Wellsaver tank -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi speedball1 i have a question for you. I have a well saver 56 gallon pump tank and i'm having some trouble. It's hooked to a one horse...

Well pump problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a house with a well. And the well does not seem to function. Is there a way to diagonose the pump problem? I can see the voltage is applied to the pump. The pressure trigger is at the "on" position since the metal leads touch the base and I measured the voltage on the wires...

View more questions Search