Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pembroke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 09:34 PM
    Ex threatens to cancel cheques. Do I have a case for small claims court?
    We broke up and he gave me cheques. Several have gone through and one he paid in cash. Now he says he is cancelling the rest and too bad for me.
    Do I have to wait and see if they all clear or can I start proceedings when just one bounces? There are 5 more.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2010, 09:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke View Post
    We broke up and he gave me cheques. Several have gone through and one he paid in cash. Now he says he is cancelling the rest and too bad for me.
    Do I have to wait and see if they all clear or can I start proceedings when just one bounces? There are 5 more.
    Checks for what? Do you have anything in writing stating that he owes you money?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2010, 09:16 AM
    Hello P:

Yes, you do... So, take all 5 to the bank TODAY and try to cash them. If they bounce, then sue him. The fact that he WROTE those checks is pretty good proof that he owes you money.

excon

PS> I understand that they're post dated.. I terms of your claim, that makes NO difference. In terms of the bank, if the money is there, they'll cash the checks. The date on the check makes NO difference to the bank.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 06:59 PM

There is nothing you can do until they are not accepted by the bank.

And he may not have cancelled them yet, so I agree with excon, take them and see ifyouu can get your money
    Pembroke Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 10:14 PM
    this8384 - I believe that if he wrote the cheques and several have already passed then it constitutes agreement to the debt.

excon - I went to the bank today and he has only put a stop payment on the one dated today. The others are not listed as stop payment. There are 5 total counting today's date. I don't think I can take the rest to the bank since they are post dated. What I was thinking was if I opened an account at the same bank and had them cash them on the dates specified there would be a better chance of a court action if they don't clear or are stopped. I did ask and they will process them for me if I have an account at the same bank so that may be my next step. That way they can get involved and I may have a better case if he continues to post stop payment on the rest.
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2010, 07:32 AM
    this8384 - I believe that if he wrote the cheques and several have already passed then it constitutes agreement to the debt.
    Not true. He could always turn around and say he lent you money, hence the checks, and that you now owe HIM. Back to my original question: what are the checks for?

excon - I went to the bank today and he has only put a stop payment on the one dated today. The others are not listed as stop payment. There are 5 total counting todays date. I don't think I can take the rest to the bank since they are post dated. What I was thinking was if I opened an account at the same bank and had them cash them on the dates specified there would be a better chance of a court action if they don't clear or are stopped. I did ask and they will process them for me if i have an account at the same bank so that may be my next step. That way they can get involved and I may have a better case if he continues to post stop payment on the rest.
    The date is not a legal part of the check - I was told this by the teller at my bank. Post-dating has no effect; if the money is in the account, the bank is required to give you the money as long as it is in the account.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2010, 07:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    The date is not a legal part of the check - I was told this by the teller at my bank. Post-dating has no effect; if the money is in the account, the bank is required to give you the money as long as it is in the account.
    Hello again, this:

Yeah. I told her the same thing, but she didn't believe me... I don't understand people who ASK for advice, then flatly tell you that they're NOT going to follow it... I HAD sympathy for P, in the beginning. Now, not so much.

excon
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2010, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, this:

Yeah. I told her the same thing, but she didn't believe me... I don't understand people who ASK for advice, then flatly tell you that they're NOT going to follow it... I HAD sympathy for P, in the beginning. Now, not so much.

excon
    ... but they're post-dated.

What? ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I won my case in small claims court, how do I collect? [ 4 Answers ]

I sued a former mechanic in smallclaims court and won. How do I go about collecting the debt now?

I won my case in small claims court. [ 2 Answers ]

An now I want to know if I can garnish their income tax.I want to know what the next step is in order to get my money.

View more questions Search