Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JOHNMILAN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 07:40 PM
    Verbal agreement for apt. in nj broken do I have a case?
    My girlfriend and her friend recently agreed with a landlord to move into a 2 bedroom apt. The date was nov 19. There was nothing in writing, all verbal. They agreed on a month to month lease for 1100 a month. The girls gave him 1100 security deposit(half cash and half check which said security deposit and a check for the first months rent) on nov 19th and received keys. They notified the landlord on nov 27th that that had a fight and can no longer move it. Initially the landlord said that he was keeping all the money etc. I explained to him that security deposit was supposed to be deposited into a bank account and not spent. He told me he spent it. I explained to him, I know nj law and he says he gets to keep it for the lost time. Do I have a case in New Jersey? I told him to give me a break cause he has another tenant already but they cannot move in until jan 1, and he says he has bills. What do I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 07:45 PM

They are liable for at least a full months rental, from the time they gave notice. Was the rent to be from the 1st to the 1st or the 19th to the 19th
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 09:50 PM

Agreed, they need to give 30 days notice on a month to month lease, they are on the hook

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cosigning a lease agreement for apt? [ 4 Answers ]

My step mother co sogned an apt. lease for her grandson and his girlfriend. The grandson had colon cancer and couldn't work. He has since passed away. The girlfriend has stayed in the apt and has not paid rent for 2 months. She is facing eviction. My stepmother and the family has determined it...

Ending a lease because a verbal agreement was broken [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord failed to honour a verbal agreement to finish the basement of the house we live in. We accepted the house because he said it would be done. Do we have the right to end the lease because of it?

Verbal agreement [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a vehicle in my name for his daughter. It was registered & insured my name. She needed transportation to get back and forth to work. The verbal agreement was that as long as she lived with us she can use the car, once the car is paid off it will be transferred to her. ...

Verbal agreement [ 1 Answers ]

I moved out with my boyfriend but after only 4 days we broke up and I was forced to move out. Now he is trying to bring me to civil court for half of the years lease. I never signed the lease or anything else but he is claiming we had a verbal aggrement. I am wondering if this would stand up in...

Verbal agreement [ 3 Answers ]

How can a verbal agreement be enforced (UK) once it has been broken by the other party, in this case an agreement to purchase a boat and given four days to make payment but the boat was sold to another party in the interim

View more questions Search