Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Madihakazi Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 09:17 AM
    Maths
    In the diagram, ADC is a straight line and BFC is a straight line. CDEF is a rectangle. EF = 4cm and ED = 5 cm. <DAE = 20 degrees and <EBF = 30 degrees. Calculate the length in cm of 1. BF. 2. AB
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 10:24 AM

a)
    1. Find the length DF using Pythagoras' theorem.
    2. Then, deduce the length of CE.
    3. Using the tangent ratio, find the length of BC.
    4. BC = 5 + BF. Since you now know BC, you can find BF.

b) For this one, I hope you know the cosine and sine rules... I can't find a simpler way to do it.
    1. Find the angle ACE using any 2 of the three sides of the triangle CDE and using the appropriate trigonometric ratio.
    2. Hence find the angle AEC.
    3. Using the sine rule, find the length of AC (using angle ACE, and CAE, sides AC and CE).
    4. Using the cosine rule again, find the length of AB (using angle ACB, and sides BC and AC).
    Madihakazi Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2010, 02:40 AM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Hello sir... thanks a lot for the brilliant answer... I appreciate it highly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maths [ 1 Answers ]

Well cut the story short, I hate maths and I have an exam next week and because I hate it I haven't been doing well but last year I was getting level 6 and 7, but we did a practice exam and I got a level 4! HEEELLPPP!

Vectors maths [ 1 Answers ]

Show that three of the vectors u=(1,1,-1), v=(-1,1,1), w=(1,3,-1), x=(1,1,0) form a basis for space and express the fourth vector as a linear combination of these basis vectors.

Maths [ 1 Answers ]

A factory produces 2 types of component a and b. The profit for each component of type a is £3.50 and of type b is £6.50. In a given week 1,440 components are sold making a total profit of £6 840. How many components of each type were sold in that week?

Maths [ 7 Answers ]

A man sets out from an oasis to walk acorss the desert to a town which is 55 km due north. Unfortuanately, there is a mountain that he must walk around the reach the town. On the first day walks 20 km on a bearing of 340 degrees. On the second day he walks another 20 km on a bearing of 20 degrees....

Maths [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have problem with this question. Hope you can find a solution for this question. Philip, the proprietor of a vineyard, estimates at the first 10000 bottles of wine produce this season will fetch a profit of $5 per bottle. However, the profit from each bottle beyond 10000 drop by $0.0002...

View more questions Search