Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryhm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2010, 08:33 AM
    $50K lien placed on home by dying husband - valid?
    My friend's husband was within a month of his death of liver cancer. His (domineering) mother had him sign a typewritten second "lean" that she had typed up for $50,000 on the home "in the event the above stated home should be sold". Supposedly this was in exchange for labor that her deceased husband did on the home years ago, although there was never any contract, of course, and no statement of the work he performed. It was signed and notarized in July, her husband died in August, and it was finally recorded at the end of February of the following year ~ once the mother-in-law saw that my friend had listed the house for sale. My friend had no knowledge of this, and (you may have guessed by now) the relationship between mother-in-law and my friend are have always been very strained.

Now someone wants to purchase her home for cash (and she desperately needs to sell - can't afford the mtg payment), but with the discovery of this lien, there is no equity left for her to move on. Is this lien valid and enforceable, or must the MIL prove up that X amount of work was performed?

Any assistance/information/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maryhm View Post
    Is this lien valid and enforceable, or must the MIL prove up that X amount of work was performed?
    Hello mary:

There are MANY issues at work here. In my view, the first and ONLY grounds your friend may have to quash the lien, would be that the dying husband was TOO FAR GONE to have KNOWN what he was doing. However, if it can be proven that he WAS competent, the lien will remain, and she'll NEVER be required to show anything about the "work".

Notice I used the word "proven" above... That means these issues need to be thrashed out in court. Your friend needs a lawyer.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 01:24 PM

+1 on getting a lawyer to investigate this. There are a whole bunch of things to look into. Placing a lien on a property is a pretty technical exercise, and even a small error in documentation can get it thrown out. (Since the document is about a "lean" that by itself may do the trick!) Actually I think that this document would be a "deed of trust" or a mortgage, not a lien, as it was agreed to by the owner (as oppoosed to being the result of a court judgment or a filing by a licensed contractor or association). Also if the husband's estate was properly probated after his death, and the estate closed before the lien was filed with the county, that could make it invalid as well. So again - have a good real estate lawyer look into it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 30, 2010, 04:52 PM
    It all depends on how the widow got title to the home. Was it owned jointly by husband and wife? If so, it may be that a lien executed by the dead husband isn't effective without the widow also signing it. While it may be a voluntary lien with respect to the dead husband, it is an involuntary lien with respect to the widow; a mechanic's lien in this case. And it's a safe bet that it doesn't comply with the formalities required of a mechanic's lien.

If she inherited it, what Ebaines says would apply:

Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    ... Also if the husband's estate was properly probated after his death, and the estate closed before the lien was filed with the county, that could make it invalid as well. ...
    Even if the widow bought it from her husband (very unlikely of course), the fact that the lien wasn't recorded until she had title normally would defeat the lien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my husband come back to me he has been gone a week and I am dying [ 39 Answers ]

My husband left me last Sunday after my sons football game when I caught him on the cell phone talking to a woman he had met when he was away at work.We have been married 4 years, She lives in Virginia and is married with 2 kids. They haven't been talking long, I checked the cell bill. I went...

What to do for friend whose husband is dying [ 1 Answers ]

My friends husband is dying at home. Hospice has been called in. He probably has a week. Do you think it would be appropriate to go to their home even though I haven't seen them in a year?

Is my home equity loan contrat valid? [ 1 Answers ]

I had a home equity loan a couple of years ago, at closing I discovered my name on the contract was David M. It should have been David W. I brought it to the attention of the loan officer. He looked at it and said, you are going to be David M. today, I don't want to change all the papers. Is this a...

How to tell my husband his dad is dying? [ 8 Answers ]

My husband is currently stationed overseas and will be home in the next week or so. Unfortunately, his dad has stage 4 cancer and I will have to tell my husband (he doesn't know his dad is even sick) that his dad has only months to live. How do I do that? Thanks, Shannon

My Husband is Dying [ 42 Answers ]

My Husband is Dying and I feel so alone. I have a handicap sister also which I take care of. My brother is trying to help. I want to say thanks. But I will cry too much because I will have to say it out loud. I have tried to tell my daughter. She thinks he will be here for a few years and I am...

View more questions Search