Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trucklover Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
    Who invented the HD TV?
    I was sitting watching my HD TV and was just thinking of who invented it and what was the first brand that made it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 10:38 AM

HD TV was not "invented" by any one individual, but rather was the work of several companies who came together in the early 90's under the auspices of the FCC to develop a single standard for high def TV signals. Those early contributors incuded Zenith, Philips, General Instruments, AT&T Labs, Sarnoff Labs, and MIT, all of whom had done preliminary work using various technologies.

Most modern digital advances come about this way, through collaboration between players who meet to develop a common set of standards based on preliminary work done separately. Examples include WiFi, BlueTooth, and interface connectors such as USB and HDMI.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2011, 10:52 AM
    It's really a technological extension of computer LCD screens.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 24, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    It's really a technological extension of computer LCD screens.
    It's a LOT more than that. It's like saying that Compact Discs are a technological extension of vinyl records. I assume you're referring to progressive scanning (used with PC displays) - but remember that HDTV encompasses interlace as well as progessive scannning, and at several different resolutions, and encompasses both analog and digital transmission schemes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Things that should be invented [ 6 Answers ]

What are some things that people would like to see invented?? Like things that would be useful/fun, etc.

Invented a product, where can I go from here [ 5 Answers ]

I am 16 years old and invented something useful for all age groups and can be also be sold in stores in the household products I think. I have already made it, and it looks pretty neat and useful, where do I go from here? It is my first invention and I think I can sell it for $8.00 at the store....

When was popcorn invented [ 5 Answers ]

When was popcorn invented and who invented!

Who invented popcorn? [ 6 Answers ]

Who invented popcorn?

Who invented the steamboat? [ 3 Answers ]

I have to do a match person to description section of a takehome exam, I have to match some people from early America to a description. I don't understand something. When I look on the internet it says that James Watt invented the steamboat, but on the exam it doesn't list James Watt. Can anyone...

View more questions Search