Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Nov 29, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Favorite recipies.
    I know there is already a sticky up there, but I thought I would start a new thread.

Christmas is just around the corner, and my family and I do a LOT of family and friend get together's. Which usually leads to me and a cousin of mine having food wars. :D Always competing for the best dish. It ends with the person having the most left int heir dishes being ridiculed relentlessly. Sounds mean, but we thrive off it.

So I am looking for all your favorite recopies, desserts, soups, meals anything you want to share!

If you have a favorite authentic dish, I'd love to have a copy of the recipe! If I make any of your dishes I'll make sure to post pics and reviews!
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2010, 11:24 AM

Here is the recipe for a buffalo wing dip that I just love to eat. I could probably eat the whole thing if I wasn't careful. It is simple and quick to make too.

2 (10 oz) cans chunk chicken, drained.

2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened.

1 cup of ranch dressing.

3/4 cup of hot sauce.

1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.

Heat chicken and hot sauce in a skillet over medium heat, until heated through. Stir in cream cheese and ranch dressing. Cook, stirring until well blended and warm. Mix in half of the shredded cheese, and transfer the mixture to a slow cooker. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top, cover, and cook on Low setting until hot and bubbly. Serve with celery sticks and crackers. I like to eat it with tortilla chips myself.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2010, 11:59 AM

Irish Bread And Butter Pudding Recipe - Dessert.Food.com - 118948

Here's a recipe for bread and butter pudding,instead of a bain marie just bang it in the oven for 30 minutes or until there is a brown crust on top,for me,best served with custard.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2010, 12:08 PM
    My sister in law named these wings for me because of how I flavor them and the next day. If you get my drift. She likes to call them "Flaming a$$holes"

-4 or 5lb bag of frozen wings
    -a bottle of hot wing sauce, I prefer Franks Redhot but not sure if they sell that in Canada
    -1 stick of butter
    -one cup of sugar
    -molasses
    -tobasco sauce

Here is what I do. I created this myself so the tobasco and molasses are really just whatever you want to use according to your taste.

Use a large cake pan or whatever you can bake that many wings in with out it spilling over. I bake mine at about 300-350.

First take the stick of butter and melt it down. When its melted mix in the sugar. Then pour the entire bottle of wing sauce in. At this point I pour in molasses. I like it a dark brown color, like a chocolate color. Pour in the tobasco sauce. I have used any where from 1/4 of the bottle to the entire bottle. Depends on how much of a kick you want it to have. I start with a small amount and taste it as I go. Depending on who I am making it for.

After you put the frozen wings in the pan pour all of the topping on the wings. Toss it in the oven. I like to bake them frozen because in my opinion as they thaw and cook they soak in the sauce. Continue to take them out and stir the sauce over the top. I leave them in the oven until I see some of the meat literally falling off the bones. Couldn take any where from an hour or two to finish them depending on your oven setting.

These don't have a traditional wing flavor. They have a sweet spice to them. They are a hit in my family. I hope they work for you if you try them.
    Dogs Expert

Dec 1, 2010, 02:24 PM

Great stuff guys! Thanks!
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2010, 08:27 PM

Okay, the pumpkin pie recipe I mentioned. It is so rich that serving pieces can be small.

Rich Pumpkin Pie

Pastry for 9” one-crust pie
    2 cups cooked puréed pumpkin
    1 cup brown sugar
    6 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 cups cream
    ½ tsp salt
    1 tsp cinnamon
    ½ tsp ground cloves
    ½ tsp mace
    1/3 cup cognac
    4 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger (optional)

Line 9” pie with pastry and place foil on top. Pre-bake pie shell at 400 F for 10 minutes. (This is what the recipe calls for, but I didn't pre-bake mine and it came out great.)

Combine pumpkin with sugar, eggs cream, seasonings and cognac and blend well. Sprinkle with chopped candied ginger, if desired, and bake in a 375 F oven for 30-35 minutes, or until pumpkin is set. Serve slightly warm with whipped cream.

Serves 8.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
    Pumpkin pie is my all time favorite. Just throwing this in here.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2010, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post
    Pumpkin pie is my all time favorite. Just throwing this in here.
    That's right. I remember you saying this before. This recipe is so good. I was surprised by how many eggs it took, but it is so rich that you don't need a very big piece to enjoy it. I made the recipe last year also. I didn't have any cognac so I used brandy, and it was just as good.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2010, 08:32 PM

This is wonderful, maybe everyone already has the recipe, but just in case. It is so easy and the first time I made it, it was demanded every holiday.

1 cup sour cream
    1 7 ounce 'jiffy corn muffin mix'
    2 eggs
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1/2 cup melted butter
    1 can creamed corn (the cheaper the better)

mix everything EXCEPT the butter.

Pour the melted butter in an 8 x 8 pan, pour the mixed ingredients over the butter. Bake 40-45 minutes until it cracks and is golden brown.

This small amount can feed a Kingdom. It is very rich.:)
    Dogs Expert

Dec 3, 2010, 06:53 AM

Awesome thanks guys! I am going to do the pumpkin pie and JD's desert first for this Saturday. And I think I am going to try Adam's dip too!

The wing sauce will be made this coming Wednesday for wing night! You guys rock!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2010, 07:44 AM

I am so keen to make this mousse cake that NoHelp posted a while back!!
    It looks so yummy!
    Victoria Magazine - Mocha Mousse Bombe
    Dogs Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 05:41 AM

Blueberry buckle cake:

* 3/4 cup white sugar
    * 1/4 cup shortening
    * 1 egg
    * 1/2 cup milk
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 2 cups fresh blueberries
    * 1/2 cup white sugar
    * 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/4 cup butter, softened

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease one 8x8 inch pan.
    2. Cream together 3/4 cup sugar, shortening, and egg.
    3. In a separate bowl mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir into sugar mixture, alternating with milk. Stir in blueberries. Pour into greased 8x8 inch pan.
    4. To make topping: Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, cinnamon, and butter. Sprinkle over cake batter.
    5. Bake at 375 degree F (190 degrees C) for 25-30 minutes.

OR

1/2cup cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
    1/3 (75 mL) butter
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
    1cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
    1 1tsp (5 mL) baking powder
    1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
    1/3cup (75 mL) milk
    3 cups (750 mL) fresh blueberryfresh blueberries
    Topping
    1/3 c (75 mL) packed brown sugar
    1/4cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
    1/2tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
    2tbsp (25 mL) butter

In bowl, cream together granulated sugar with butter; beat in egg and vanilla. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir half of the flour mixture into butter mixture; blend in milk and remaining flour mixture to make stiff batter.

Spread batter in greased 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan. Cover evenly with blueberries.

Topping: In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over blueberries. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until crisp and browned on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Halloween drink recipies [ 1 Answers ]

I thought you guys might enjoy some festive drinks this week end. Enjoy! Halloween Margarita 1 part tequila, 1¼ parts Hiram Walker Pumpkin Spice, 3 parts Fresh sour (1 part each lemon & lime juice, 2 parts simple syrup) Salt rim. Combine ingredients in shaker w/ ice. Shake vigorously. Strain...

Bread Machine recipies. [ 39 Answers ]

Un-employment is going to turn me into a tub of lard. I am going to attempt to make Sour dough bread via the bread machine. First off it says 3/4 cup and 2 tblsp of h20 at 70 to 80 f, is that just room temperature? How do you take the temp of water? Also it gives a specific brand name of...

Looking for two recipies [ 4 Answers ]

I would like two recipies to expirement with this year: Baked macaroni And Brocolli casserole Please share. I have tried many others, but I they just don't seem to measure up to grandma's.

Any good recipies? [ 8 Answers ]

Soon, I would like to MAKE a dinner for me and my fiancé. I do know how to cook, I'm not completely helpless in the area, but the problem is WHAT do I cook? If anyone has easy, affordable, (romantic?? ) recipies, they would be apprieciated!

Casserole recipies [ 14 Answers ]

Okay my cyber family, the crunch is on. Today I officially became a nursing student. I have been forewarned that this is going to be tough on my and the family. Especially where the kitchen is concerned. We were told in orientation today to take the rest of the summer and make casseroles that...

View more questions Search