Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 10:27 AM
    Electric water heater won't stay on
    Bad title. I meant gas water heater.

Sometimes there is hot water and sometimes there is not. No pattern to it.

When we don't have hot water, I will turn the water heater off and back on. It will begin to run, the electric pilot will light, and the flame will light. Sometimes it will stay on and it's fine. Most of the time the flame will just go out anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds after it is lit. I just hit the switch again and it will do the same thing. Sometimes I only have to hit the switch once to have the flame stay on but sometimes it will be up to 4 times before the flame decides to stay on and heat the water.

What would be the problem? The water heater itself is working and heats the water just fine but something is not reading right.

Thanks,
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 03:36 PM
    " electric water heater won't stay on" They you say "flame will light". What is it- an electric or gas heater? Sounds like you have a bad thermocouple if it is gas.

Nov 29, 2010, 03:42 PM
    Sorry, you're right. It is a gas water heater. I meant to say the ignition is electric or automatic.

So it is a bad thermocouple? Where is that located?

Thanks,
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 04:36 PM
    It could be 2 things. The thermocouple is the small wire like line that runs from the gas valve to the flame. It is a safety device designed to shut off the gas valve if it doesn't generate enough microvolts to keep the valve open. The pilot flame impinges on it. Not particularly hard to change but space is usually limited . Google:"changing a pilot thermocouple". Another possibility is dirt in the pilot line. There is a very small orifice for the pilot light and even a small speck of dirt in the supply line can clog it. Just be careful working around gas and if you can't get help or are hesitant, get a plumber to do the work. What is a little strange is that it comes and goes. Usually a thermocouple goes bad and that's it.

Nov 29, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Is there a way to test the thermocouple? It's a pretty spendy part. Thanks
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 09:11 PM
    Unless you have a specificly designed thermocouple that only fits your model, they are universal and cost about $10-15. Some of the newer models with full electronic ignition are $25. If your Volt Ohmmeter can read millivolts you can test them. You need to remove it, place it is a small burner flame and measure the millivolts. Most HW thermocouples run about 30 millivolts. Measuring resistance is not always the best way since a shorted t'couple can read the same as a new one, <2-3 ohms.

Nov 30, 2010, 07:24 AM
    This is the one that I can find. I have an AO Smith model FPSH 40260. The thermocouple (part 183267) is included in this entire assembly which costs over $100. Is this the right or am I looking at the wrong part?
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Nov 30, 2010, 11:44 AM
    That does look part specific but I would try one more thing. Since it is erratic, make sure the pilot flame directly hits the part connected to the yellow wire, that appears to be the thermocouple. I have a new house-3 yrs- with a Rheem HW heater. I always buy an extra thermocouple and mine was $10. If all else fails, Google your model and look for parts online . $100 seems pretty pricey.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater will not stay on [ 5 Answers ]

After turning on the pilot, turning the gas control knob from pilot to on setting, then when adjusting the temperature dail, this is when then water heater turns off.

My Electric Water Heater is not filling up OR heating water! [ 2 Answers ]

First: Does the breaker have to be on for my water heater to fill up? I turned the breaker on after draining it a little, and it isn't filling it back up... Second: How long should I have to wait for my water heater to heat the water again?

Inadequate hot water from electric water heater [ 3 Answers ]

My hot water isn't hot like it use to. It lasts for 5 minutes in the shower. Can get one more time if I turn off for a few minutes. The water heater has never been serviced or water flushed since we moved here since 1980. I drained some of the water the other day and didn't notice any sediment...

New electric water heater low hot water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I just replaced an old electric hot water heater, roughly 10+ years old, with a new one. This was done in the early am, before noon. It is now evening, after 6pm EST. and I've noticed two things. 1) My hot water pressure is now low in all of my faucets, but the cold water is fine. 2) The water...

Replaced electric water heater Atlanta area, but no hot water [ 14 Answers ]

The old water heater died. Bot one (38 gals) at HD. Installed exactly like the old one was as follows--3 CPVC pipes come out of wall. Two are joined. Before they are joined one has a valve. After they are joined there is a second valve. The pipe is connected to the cold side of the heater using...

View more questions Search