Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samgamb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Cloudy 10 gal. Fresh Water Tank
    Hello,
    Here we go I set up a 10 gal. fresh water fish tank up back in November,
    I have no fish in the tank.
    1) the PH was very high so I tried to get the ph down (still working on this)
    2) the tank has been very cloudy (milky) for about 1 1/2 months
    No matter what I do its very cloudy and the PH is some what high
    I did take sample of the water to a pet store
    Every test they did showed that it passed however the PH is still high
    At this point I have not got any fish for it.
    Until I can figure out what is going on

Any ideas or suggestions?
    Oh on other thing.
    Thais tank was sit up a year ago and same problem so we ended up giving up
    This time I'd like to see some fish in the tank.

Thank You

Sam G.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Hi there,
    I'd like to help you with your tank. First, I need to know everything you are adding to the tanks water.
    If you have a high Ph, I'm guessing you live in an area with hard water - Is this correct?
    What is your Ph? Do you happen to know the gh and kh of the water?
    Problem with taking your tanks water to the pet store to have it checked is that your tank has never had any fish in it, therefor it has not gone through the biological filtration cycle yet - a naturally occurring process that occurs in nature (unless you did a fishless cycle which includes adding clear ammonia to the water or fish food for a matter of months), they are just running tests on plain water.
    Fish create waste which causes a build up of ammonia (toxic to fish). Nature then comes into play by creating a bacteria to consume the ammonia - the byproduct of this bacteria is called Nitrites (toxic to fish). Then another type of bacteria is formed to consume the Nitrites - the byproduct of this bacteria is called Nitrates (not toxic to fish if kept under a recommended amount by monthly water changes and regular tank maintenance).
    I can help you out with understanding all this as well as walk you through the cycling process so that you don't lose any fish.
    We need to find out the reason for the cloudy water first since no fish have ever been added to the tank. It's important to know everything that has been added to the water to see what the deal is.
    Since no fish have been added, I may suggest emptying out all that old water and put fresh water in the tank. It wouldn't be considered starting over because there has not been fish in it before.
    Do you have a filter and air pump? Do you have any type of filter media that houses the beneficial bacteria like a biowheel or something? What kind are they?
    Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Cloudy aquarium water [ 1 Answers ]

I have an already established aquarium, but cannot get rid of the cloudiness. The ph is Good. Christine

Brown hot water in tub/ and cloudy water in well [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought a new house. It has an electric RHEEM hot water heater and I am running it on a well. 1st question about the well cold water is cloudy and I have run the well for 3 straight days. The well is 181 ft deep. Is there a way to get ride of the cloudy water? 2nd My hot water...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search