Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DBP1996xo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2010, 07:41 AM
    How long does a swollen ankle take to heal?
    Friday November 26th 2010 , I was warming up for gym class, and we were playing volleyball, and after we either spiked or volleyed it over the net we had to go run to get it, so I did, and as I was running ( this sounds funny but it was painful) as I was running I tripped over my own foot, and now my ankle is swollen, I was wondering how long that will take to heal? It hurts when I put on shoes/uggs but more painful when I take it off, would you by any chance know how long it would take? Or would I have to go to my doctors?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 27, 2010, 07:59 AM

Apply ice or cold pack every 20 minutes for an hour. Keep it elevated. I would say about a week and the swelling should have gone. You will see bruising coming out but if it becomes tender to touch, or you can't walk on it, then have it checked out. There are a couple of injuries it could be, if not broken. It could a torn ligament or a pulled muscle.

Tick
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 27, 2010, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Apply ice or cold pack for an hour every twenty minutes. Keep it elevated.
    I think you have that backwards. An ice pack should only be applied for 20 minutes not for an entire hour.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 27, 2010, 08:51 AM
    [QUOTE=J_9;2613720]I think you have that backwards. An ice pack should only be applied for 20 minutes not for an entire hour.[/QUOTE

Yes, fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take a sprained ankle to heal? [ 37 Answers ]

2 1/2 weeks ago, I sprained my ankle. I waited a few days to go see a doctor but when I finally did, he ordered x-rays. He said there are no broken bones. He told me to come back in a week. I did and my foot was still swollen and VERY tender in several places (I'm talking that it's so tender...

How long does a Broken Ankle take to heal? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I broke my Ankle in January 2009, both of the bones and had an operation and got nine screws put in and I finally got a job and during the day it swells up, but on the next morning it is a lot better, any advise what I can do to make it better, besides not walking, I have a job where I sit...

How long will it take for my Cartilage piercing to heal ? [ 1 Answers ]

Basically, ive had this cartilage piercing for 2 and a half weeks now and it still hurts to sleep on, touch, and twist, when I clean it after it turns red and stings :S , is this normal ?

Painful foot and ankle rash. So swollen I can't even walk. [ 2 Answers ]

I am so freaked out. Yesterday morning my feet, ankles and lower legs broke out into a red, itchy flat almost hive looking in one spot and bumpy in other spots rash. It's not on the bottoms of my feet, but everywhere else on feet and ankles. As it gets higher it spread out in random spots of...

How Long To Heal? [ 1 Answers ]

How long does it take to heal from a broken shoulder? How long does it take to recover from a collarbone fracture? Clavicle fractures should heal completely within 12 weeks, but the pain usually subsides within a few weeks. Often patients are back to full activities before 12 weeks has passed,...

View more questions Search