Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    njana50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2010, 02:04 AM
    When A + B + C = 180 Prove that cosA.cosB.CosC<=1/8
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 8, 2010, 07:18 AM

Hello njana. You probably would have gotten a quicker answer if you had posted this question either under homework help or in the mathematics section of the Science area. Anyway, here's one technique - although there may be other, more elegant ways to prove this:

1. Suppose the angle A is fixed at some constant. What values for B and C yield the greatest value for f=cos(A)cos(B)cos(C)? Since they must add to 180, you can express C as a function of B and A:

C = 180-A-B

So the product is:

f=cos(A)cos(B)cos(180-A-B)

Holding A constant, this function is maximized if B = 180-A-B, or B = (180-A)/2 (the proof is left to you, but essentially take the derivative of f with respect to B and set that =0).

2. Since C = 180-A-B, this means that C also equals (180-A)/2, and hence the max value of f occurs when B = C.

3. To find what value of A yields a maximum, find the max in the function:

f = cos(A)cos(B)cos(C) = cos(A) cos^2((180-A)/2)

Take the derivative of f with respect to A and set it to zero, and solve for A, and you'll find that A = 60. Consequently B = 60 and C = 60. Therefore f=cos(A)cos(B)cos(C) has a max value when all three angles = 60, and that value is 1/2 * 1/2 *1/2 = 1/8.
    voducdien Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 12:00 PM
    You can not assume angle A is fixed. That's not allowed.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by voducdien View Post
    You can not assume angle A is fixed. That's not allowed.
    A is not assumed to be fixed. Go back and look at step 3. This is where the value of cos(A)cos(B) cos(C) is shown to be a max if A = 60 degrees, and that value is 1/8. Any other value for A yields a value of cos(A)cos(B)cos(C) that is smaller than that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Show that cosecA - cotA = √1 - cosA/1 + cosA [ 2 Answers ]

Prove that cosecA - cotA = √1 - cosA/1 + cosA

Which is the better bike among Apache rtr 180 and pulsar 180 of mileage and engine [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy a bike between the Apache rtr180 and pulsar 180.Speed is not the only thing which I am looking for.It must give a good mileage and the engine must not be very noisy and obviously it should be comfortable in riding.So please suggest me which one of these would be the better choice.

Which is the better bike among Apache rtr 180 and pulsar 180 of mileage and engine [ 0 Answers ]

I want to buy a bike between the Apache rtr180 and pulsar 180.Speed is not the only thing which I am looking for.It must give a good mileage and the engine must not be very noisy and obviously it should be comfortable in riding.So please suggest me which one of these would be the better choice

I have an IQ 0f 180, am I gifted? [ 7 Answers ]

I have an IQ of 180 and I am 17yrs old. But I need extra time to understand things in maths, physics etc but finally I become successful to understand the concepts but taking so much time. So what does IQ signifies?

View more questions Search