Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ajing Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2010, 02:19 AM
    1 year old don't wants to eat
    My 1 year old daughter don't wants to eat. Can you suggest what is a good vitamins for her to boost her appetite? Im really having a hard time giving her food, she closed her mouth tight and she wants only milk.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 02:46 AM

Welcome to the stubborn time. Oh boy do I remember the one year old "I won't eat and you can't make me" stage.

Trust me, she won't starve.

What kind of food are you giving her? Is it the bottled store bought food, or do you make your own? Better yet, are you feeding her what you eat only mashed up?

I learned the hard way. With my son I did the store bought baby food, paid an arm and a leg, threw most of it out because he wouldn't eat it.

With my daughter I gave baby food for the first few months, but when that first tooth came in she got what we ate, only mashed up. She loved it, and she's still a good eater now (she's 8).

Try mixing it up. Let her have some of your food.

If not, than talk to your doctor. There are booster drinks for picky eaters, and they are full of vitamins and nutrients, but I'm not a huge fan of these for an infant. If you start on those it's harder to break the habit of not eating. The booster drinks are great for older kids, but not a one year old that should be getting her nutrients from real food. Just my opinion, and that of my doctor.

Good luck.
    ajing Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2010, 03:07 AM
    Comment on Altenweg's post
    Thanks for your opinion. I tried the bottled food brought from the store and I make my own too even giving her what we ate. She will ate at first maybe 2 spoons and after that she won't eat anymore.
    feroluce Posts: 30, Reputation: 7

Nov 25, 2010, 10:27 AM
    Around that age, we're likely to wander around, pick things up and put them in our mouth.
    We have an inbuilt mechanism to prevent us swallowing anything poisonous. Up to about the age of three, we have an additional taste sensation.
    We can taste Acrid (along with the normal Sweet, Sour, Bitter, Salt and Umami).
    Around the age of 3-4, this taste goes away, that's why babies are fussy eaters. They can taste something you can't.
    About 4% of the population don't lose this sensation, they're called supertasters. I'm one of them.
    Unless you're a supertaster yourself, there's no way you can tell what's acrid to her and what's not.

I can't eat fresh onions, green vegetables (except fresh pulses) or potato skins.
    When I say Can't, I mean I physically can't overcome the reaction to not swallow them.
    Try avoiding anything with a strong colour (except carrots, they're great), try adding butter to meals (at that age, kids need the fat anyway).
    Grains and cereals are a safe bet.

Fresh garden peas are like katnip to supertasters, I don't see why toddlers would be any different.
    Take frozen garden peas and plunge them into boiling water, drain and repeat with more boiling water until they're just warm.
    She'll have fun chasing them around the bowl and be getting all the vitamins she needs ;-)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 25, 2010, 11:21 AM

When they get hungry they will eat, just be sure they are not living on junk or snacks and if they eat it will be the meal.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2010, 09:25 AM

Provide her with a variety of finger foods that she can safely eat on her own... for example, avocado, banana, cheese, pasta, etc. along with her whole milk. Try not to worry, expect phases in eating habits. Your doctor can recommend a vitamin for her if they feel it is necessary, but the lack of interest in foods at this stage will likely be short lived.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2010, 04:03 PM

I promise she will eat when she is ready. Don't force her though. You don't want to turn dinner/meal time into a punishment.

She won't go hungary. If she gets hungary enough she will eat.

Keep offering her foods you know she likes, and offer several foods she hasn't tried yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hi I'm a 18 year old femal I'm 5,2 and 6 and a half stone. I don't eat the right food as [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, my user name was louloub09 but I had to join again as lost my password, Hey, I'm a 18 year old female I'm 5,2 and 6 and a half stone, I don't eat the right food as I have a fear in trying new thing. Well let start by saying I don't like any fruit or veg at all, I don't like anything...

I have 3 year old son hi don't walk and don't talk [ 4 Answers ]

I have 3 years old son. He doesn’t walk and talk either. He can spell only AAAAA, BBBBB, and OOOOAAOOA. He can sit almost all day long with no problem, and can grab things near. I went to many different doctors (neurologist, psychologist, podiatrist, orthopedist. Muscle test, and still same answer:...

Why is my pup don't eat anything [ 7 Answers ]

My pup is 3 months old. She ate a lot since she was with me. I de wormed her last month and there was few worm out. Last few days I de wormed her again half of the tablet she took last month. After 1 one day she feel ill already and vomiting a little water like only a saliva and she never eat...

Don't want to eat [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I just adopted a sheltie from a shelter. And I kind worries because he don't want to eat. In the shelter they give me the food he was eating there. I try mixing dry food with rice didn't work and some hot dogs neither. The last resort it was change his metal bowl for a plastic bowl didn't...

View more questions Search