Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roofcake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2010, 01:01 PM
    Cable jack provides signal but no sound
    My 3 year old LCD HDTV all of a sudden no longer has any audio. It has been about a month now. Basic set up, Just using a coaxial cable from cable jack to the TV. Have a VCR(yellow, white, red hookup) and DVD(HDMI) also attched to TV and when watching a movie from them, I have no sound. I bought a new cable and even a new TV. The sound worked on the new TV when I first hooked it up but only worked for one day. TV works downstairs and this new TV and my old TV work if I take them downstairs. I actually just switched from cable to satelite(not because of this, just cause I wanted to) and they used the existing wiring when installing. Still no audio on upstairs TV. So to me it has ruled out everything except the wiring to the cable jack. Any idea how I can fix or what could be wrong. Should I investigate or get an electrician or someone to look at it. The jack is a little loose from the wall. Wondering if some wiring is loose inside. Could that cause no audio but still good picture. Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 24, 2010, 01:19 PM

Try unplugging TV for a minute and plug back in.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2010, 04:52 PM
    Since your TV works downstairs, it is possible that it is the wiring upstairs. I assume since you moved the TV downstairs that you unplugged your TV to do so unplugging and plugging back in your TV has already been tested.

You can take the plate off the wall and it is just a coupler (sometimes called a barrel connector). So there should be a coax wire with the end on it screwed snuggly into the back of the plate. Make sure that there is a good end on the wire too. It will be a compression fitting instead of a crimped end. The end on the left of this picture:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/5/1371797/HOWTO-Compression-Connectors.jpg

Is an example of a compression fitting.

If you are not comfortable with terminating wires like this, there are plenty of how-to guides online and on YouTube. Otherwise your cable company should fix this for you.
    joeguest2 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2010, 02:38 PM
    If you get no sound from your TV when you play a dvd movie, then the problem has nothing to do with the coax cable coming from the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Check signal cable [ 4 Answers ]

I hope u all can help with this issue. Here's what I'm putting together asus rampage II extreme x58, Intel I7 940, corsair dominator 1600 ddr3, bfg gtx 295. So I put it all together n got this on my screen. Checked the wires n cables all is good, power supply is on and running, mobo lights up all...

Check signal cable [ 7 Answers ]

My computer won't start up its saying check sinnal cable what do I do

Check signal cable [ 1 Answers ]

After fitting a new cd burner on start-up I get the message --CHECK SIGNAL CABLE -- what does this mean and what is the signal cable

Prob w/cable modem jack [ 32 Answers ]

While DH was playing with keyboard and mouse (aka working diligently,) Cute Puppy was, unbeknownst to all, teething happily on the wires leading from our Cable Modem to the junction box. Our fist sign of this was when we cleverly noticed that we had no dial tone. Now we are faced with returning...

Please Check Signal Cable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi guys, I'm new here... I got a problem with my old PC. Suddenly that word appear on my monitor... I can see the power led, also cd led... but not harddisk... I already replace video card and relocate RAM.. also use another monitor.. still got the same problem... Don't u think my...

View more questions Search